car cruse sunday

Ezrider

i didn't even notice i was the only non gm that showed up today....lol i did notice i was the only foreign car. there was a Chevy camero. a Chevy monte carlo. Cadillac sedan, and apparently my friend was too lazy to pull any of his classic cars out of moth balls so he drove his 6.0L Pontiac g8 witch is still a pretty cool car despite looking kinda plain imo.

i didn't even notice i was the only non gm that showed up today....lol i did notice i was the only foreign car. there was a Chevy camero. a Chevy monte carlo. Cadillac sedan, and apparently my friend was too lazy to pull any of his classic cars out of moth balls so he drove his 6.0L Pontiac g8 witch is still a pretty cool car despite looking kinda plain imo.

We waited anxiously for 30 years for the reappearance of the GTO. We got a nice performing GTO with exactly none of the previous generation's styling. Ford got it right with the Mustang. Dodge did a great job with the Charger and the Challenger. Pontiac fell on it's face...If I sound bitter, I am. Idiots. Now the whole division is dead. I wonder why. They should have had a trans am based on the same platform as the Camaro...Oh yeah those are great too! And they should have had a proper GTO with some old styling cues...oh well.

• Like 2

We waited anxiously for 30 years for the reappearance of the GTO. We got a nice performing GTO with exactly none of the previous generation's styling. Ford got it right with the Mustang. Dodge did a great job with the Charger and the Challenger. Pontiac fell on it's face...If I sound bitter, I am. Idiots. Now the whole division is dead. I wonder why. They should have had a trans am based on the same platform as the Camaro...Oh yeah those are great too! And they should have had a proper GTO with some old styling cues...oh well.

oh my,,,,what a grouch,,,im a ford man myself,,,cant get too excited about too many GMs but i did like the scenery,,,and the wierd creatures,,,bob

Cool sculptures, probably neat place to spend some time at.

I know you American guys are proud of your country built stuff but my favorite is Jag.

What is the speed limit in those empty highways you could have done so good day milage?

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Cool sculptures, probably neat place to spend some time at.

I know you American guys are proud of your country built stuff but my favorite is Jag.

What is the speed limit in those empty highways you could have done so good day milage?

Vlad

we had about 85 miles at 75mph speed limit the 2 lanes were 65mph for the most part other than when you pass threw the small towns. the others did another 200 miles round trip at 75. basically there from 100 miles the other way of me off the interstate so i jumped in with them when they came threw. and jumped back off on the way back when we came threw. all together with all the stops it was about 8 hours for me

its kinda nice to see other car guys that actually drive there cars. so many keep them in the garage and trailer them to shows or just keep them in the garage and look at them.

i bet i was probably the most comfortable for the drive though...lol the jag is a dream to drive quiet good power you feel the road but absorbs the bumps well good fuel range comfortable seats automatic climate control. iv done 1000 miles in a day in it before and really didn't even feel like it.

• Like 1

i agree with that and add the new dodge dart i thought was rather disappointing as well.

Nice that you were able to open up the Jag a bit where the speed limits are higher. Reminiscing,,, Back in the late 60's the traffic was so much lighter, particularly at night. When I-95 was new and sparsely traveled (if you can imagine that) I made it from Ft. Lauderdale to Buffalo in my '66 'Vette, rarely dropped below 100 mph except for fuel, About 20 hours I think. Was going 115 on the NE Extension and a trooper passed me!

Made 143 mph between Syracuse and Rochester one night in my 289 powered Austin Healy. No tickets, no problem, just young and stupid on bias ply tires. Amazing I made it OK to old age.

Best argument for governors/speed limiters is teenage boys. Anyone care to share a story about stupid stuff you did in your youth? Love to hear it.

Nice that you were able to open up the Jag a bit where the speed limits are higher. Reminiscing,,, Back in the late 60's the traffic was so much lighter, particularly at night. When I-95 was new and sparsely traveled (if you can imagine that) I made it from Ft. Lauderdale to Buffalo in my '66 'Vette, rarely dropped below 100 mph except for fuel, About 20 hours I think. Was going 115 on the NE Extension and a trooper passed me!

Made 143 mph between Syracuse and Rochester one night in my 289 powered Austin Healy. No tickets, no problem, just young and stupid on bias ply tires. Amazing I made it OK to old age.

Best argument for governors/speed limiters is teenage boys. Anyone care to share a story about stupid stuff you did in your youth? Love to hear it.

i remember that,,,i was very young,,,only story i got is ive been an idiot,,,for 59 years ...lol.bob

• Like 2

iv got a few story's

when i was about 18 i had a fox body mustang 5 speed some aluminum aftermarket heads cam headers straight piped dumped out the side in front of the rear wheels. never spent the money for proper tires but my bet et in the 1/4 was 12.95 at beach bend raceway on all season radials spinning pretty much the entire 60' and it would really light them up on a asphalt road. one day i was out on some back country hwy killing a little time pull up to a stop sign and dump the clutch matt it bang shift it into 2nd lit up all the way threw second bang shift into third keeping the tires spinning probably 70 feet into 3rd then lift. look in the rear view mirror to check out my trail of smoke and see flashing lights coming ripping threw my smoke cloud. look down at my speedo im at about 50mph. instantly pull over. cop comes up to the window smoke still rolling out from inside the car. cop asks "you out hot roding it a bit" my reply "yes sir but im out here on a back road not trying to hurt anyone or anything like that and i don't think i exceeded the speed limit" (road was marked 55) basically in short after a ass chewing the cop let me going basically saying "if i ever catch you driving this car like this again on public roads you will be arrested for reckless driving and public endangerment."

ran from the cops once in a datsun 280zx and got away after being seen by a motorcycle cop drag racing someone on the street.

i never had a single ticket till i moved to nd then i learned very quickly nd cops are very ticket happy.

i do have a video of my jag @ about 125 ish mph. its supposed to have a top speed around 150ish but i lost my nerve and there was a bump sign coming up in the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4kUO8grbsI

• Like 2

Nice story EZrider and nice Jag video too! I remember being scared when the front end of my Healy got so light I thought if I twitched I'd glide right off the road. Too much air trapped underneath at crazy speed.

Come to think of it, I did lose my NY license with that car. I was drag racing a guy in downtown Buffalo. Cop going the other way saw me and did a U-turn and came after me. I made a series of left and right turns into an old neighborhood and when I had enough lead on him, I turned into a strangers driveway that had an open garage door. I drove right into the garage and pulled the door down and waited inside that strangers garage for an hour and a half until all the cops cruising the neighborhood looking for me finally gave up.

The cops spotted me the next day on my way to work. I was driving very slowly figuring the cop(s) would be looking for that gray-primered Healy. Three different cops pulled me over all within a few blocks of each other and each of the three gave me a speeding ticket for going 40 in a 30 mph zone. I was only going 30 but it didn't matter - they got even with me. 3 tickets = 9 points and that was it. No more NY license, had to go to NJ to get another license. As I said before, I was pretty young and most definitely stupid. I was destined to learn many things... most of them the hard way.

C'mon guys, I'm sure some of you did some nutzo stuff and the statue of limitations is long past - so please share! Maybe a new Odds and Ends thread - "Stupid Stuff I Did When Young"

I was 19 when this happened. Had this 1972 Rally Nova, 350 with the usual- bigger cam, Corvette aluminum intake, 780 Holley, headers, swapped in an M-22 Muncie instead of the original 3 speed, Hurst shifter. I had a few beers- ok, many beers- so I let my friend, who hadn't drank anything, drive. He went to pass a car, shifted it back into second, floor boarded it, and it got away from him on the wet road and went across somebody's yard and into 2 gum trees. Totaled of course. He broke his leg, I ended up with 45 stitches in my face, nobody had seatbelts on.

post-1374-0-50847100-1429966331_thumb.jp

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Yow, that hurts. Big horsepower, wet road, heavy foot... Same thing happened to me in my buddies father's 289 Hi-Po Falcon. Lost it, over the curb, and took out a concrete bus bench. Fortunately nobody on the bench and no one hurt. His Dad was none too pleased.