1943 E 45 Fire Truck

gmttsn54

Congratulations. Where do you live? What do you need? There is a big fire flea market in Allentown PA this Sunday. Not a whole lot of older stuff there these day, but there is always some goodies. Under the E model registry thread there is a number for John Chalmers. He has some E model parts.

My father has a big E, a type 55. It only needs brake work. Welcome to the forum. Mike

Welcome to the site, as you work on your truck make a list of parts you may need and post on the site,many parts are interchangeable with several manufactures especially trucks built during the war yrs. their is really a lot of guys here that have knowledge and locations for parts. good luck

Welcome aboard.

The first thing you need to do is send the chassis number to the Mack Museum, along with a suitable donation, to get the history of your truck. They will send you any delivery pictures they have along with an owners manual and other delivery information.

My guess is this is a "war baby" based on the delivery year, so you may want to check out Fire Trucks at War; http://firetrucks-atwar.com

If you have not done so try to find out where the truck served and get as many in-service pictures as you can to help you with the restoration.

Finally, join the local SPAAMFAA chapter and SPAAMFAA to meet fellow collectors who can help you out.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Brake parts are fairly easy. They are not unique to Mack. Most likely available through Bendix suppliers- especially the wheel cylinders and master cylinder (which is probably Mopar or Ford.) In either case you can most likely get new or even rebuild kits for them through Bendix. Take them off, and drop them on the counter at any old-school NAPA place....(The older the better.) DO NOT TELL THEM WHAT IT IS FROM. This will only complicate things. Just drop on the desk and say "I need one of these" or "I need a rebuild kit for this."

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Fitzwilliam, eh? Meadowood County Area Fire Department used to have a 1930s Mack early "B" model fire truck that they used for musters, etc. Since MCAFD is out of business,

I wonder whatever happened to that old Mack. They also had an "R" model tanker, a Mack Aerialscope, and a Mack Aerialscope converted into a rescue truck.

bulldogboy

The very first SCBA training I ever had was at Meadowood. Spent quite a bit of time in the Fitzwilliam area as a teenager. J Hancock who is quite active on this site lives in the area as well. I'm sure he would be a great contact for you.

Stamford, CT still has a Type 75A they bought new as a parade piece. Did they buy your truck new or did it come from DoD after the war?

My A model is basically the same as an E model; I found the master cylinder on Amazon, the front wheel cylinders and all seals at find it parts.com, and I had to have the rear wheel cylinders re-sleeved at White Post Restorations. I had the linings re-lined at Automotive Manufacturers in Richmond, VA. Total cost including new lines was about $1200.00 doing the labor myself. I still have the PN's somewhere if you need them.

One hint; when you bleed them start at the booster.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I believe it was new cause I have a copy of the factory photo and it is lettered that way. The puzzling part is it has chrome trim and rails I thought the war years had no chrome when I get it home I will send the numbers to mack and find out what I can.

Greg

If you are going to replace and/or re-plate the rails I have a source for new rails that is quite affordable. Let us know what you need.

Fxfymn where or who is the source of rails? Mine are black pipe with a cover (stainless) and I may want to replace them

Charlie, I'll send you an e-mail.