tractor air suspension question

My suspesnsion level is different between my drive tandems ( CH613). Its a single levelling valve but the rear axle is about an inch higher than it should be. The front measurement is right where it should be.

Shouldn't both axles measure the same? I've been chasing vibration problems for years and trying to eliminate all the variables.

The truck rides rough and I go through alot of shock absorbers. I get maybe 2 years out of them..I do run dump and do alot off road.

The truck may pitch to the front, causing the rear axle measurement to be higher ( meaning your frame rails are not parallel to the ground.) this could be caused by worn out front springs. or you could try a slightly taller tire on the front if you find this to be the case. In any event, the air ride height measurement it's always taken on the axle that has the leveling valve.

Gregg

I think underdog is right.

Try measuring from bottom of frame to ground at front and rear and see what difference there is.

My kw has parabolic springs on the front (3 big springs compared to multi leaf) and they use blocks to give the right height.

Something to look at.

Good luck with it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. The truck is pitched down abit in the front (or i guess the A$$ is up..is pretty noticeable). The ride is aweful. The front drive has the levelling valve and that one is usually right on loaded and empty. Should the frame rails measure level front to back? Also i'm working on 2 other angles on my vibration problem. The rear driveshaft is missing the balancing weights. I dont know how much effect this will have on shaking the whole truck. 2nd: I think i have too much grease in the slip yoke( the front slip yoke). It looks like there isnt any movement in the yoke. My vibe occurs empty or loaded now between 25-30 mph.

After redoing a Kenworth with Peterbilt suspension and learning more about air-ride systems then I ever wanted to, a few things you need to check

Contact Mack and find out what the ride height is supposed to be and where it is measured from (on the KW it was measured from the top of the axle to bottom frame on other types it may be different)

You need to know if all the air bags are the same (maybe the rear were changed and are different from the front or vice verse so different height)

Most level valves that I have seen that control both axles are are on the rear axle (maybe your truck had two and lost one or it was replaced on the wrong axle)

The drive shafts that I have messed with all have a grease hole to allow grease to escape if it suddenly needs to collapse, if the shaft is stuck more than likely it is due to lack of grease not because it has to much. If there was an abundance of grease usually it slings everywhere under the truck not freeze up slip joints. As far as weights being lost of just pull it and have it balanced while you looking at it maybe it is not in phase that can create vibration

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

I did. they didnt seem to understand what I was getting at. I tried to tell him the rear bags are higher not because of air pressure but maybe because the front is sagging and "pulling up" on the rear. He said the air pressure is the same in all 4 bags with 1 levelling valve. I said "I understand that" Maybe i was clear as mud. :banana:

OK, at the plant I went through an issue with a truck. First off, ride height is measured from the bottom if the frame rail to the center of the spline for the yoke on the axle that the leveling valve is attatched to. You also need to find the angles of each drive axle. If they are off they can cause an issue. The angle is determined with a load on the rear with a digital protractor. Zero it on the frame rail and check the angle on a machined surface, usually the yoke spline or the part that the "straps" for the yoke bolts to.

I would have the driveshaft balanced first if it's definitely missing weights, that will cause a problem for sure!

OK, at the plant I went through an issue with a truck. First off, ride height is measured from the bottom if the frame rail to the center of the spline for the yoke on the axle that the leveling valve is attatched to. You also need to find the angles of each drive axle. If they are off they can cause an issue. The angle is determined with a load on the rear with a digital protractor. Zero it on the frame rail and check the angle on a machined surface, usually the yoke spline or the part that the "straps" for the yoke bolts to.

I would have the driveshaft balanced first if it's definitely missing weights, that will cause a problem for sure!

• 3 weeks later...

So just to have a few options.....if I needed to raise the front end to level off the truck, and the front springs do not need to be replaced, anybody add air bags to the front? I was looking at canadianloadshare.com. Anybody have these or a similar front axle airbag kit on their truck?

I don't think they will raise it much. For instance, if a truck with good springs and good ride height used them it would make it too high.

Take the truck to a wheel alignment place and get them to put packers in between the spring and axle.

If you do go with the load share front air bags I would love to hear your thoughts on them as I've been thinking of trying them out.

Ive been working on a peterbilt that i have, for over a year now. In fact, the reason why im a mack owner as well, is because my peterbilt project has taken me quite some time, and i had to keep my customers happy. Anyway i airbagged my steer axle with a home built setup. Unfortunately, i haven't gotten it on the road yet. A bunch of my buddies have done it with alot of success, although there are a few varying opinions on the way to do it. Ive driven a few, as well as a factory setup on a kenworth 660. The kenworth has four bags with a leveling valve, where as mine is pressure controlled by me from inside the cab. (Probably similar to the setup you are looking at). In my experience, they ride well and smooth out the bridge joints. All setups that I am talking about have the bags mounted over the axle as a helper bag. A lot of guys use the airbag from the kenworth 8 bag suspension.