New "treasure" for my collection

Very nice! I see the Liberty's have different front axles. Different manufacturers of the trucks or a model change? The one at the U.S.M.C. Museum at Quantico on display and their parts truck both have the " shallow dip axle" The "belly axle" looks to be a Locomobile Military built Liberty. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I am not sure who built the newer (smaller) Liberty, but the 3 ton I am restoring was probably built by Graham Bernstein in Lima, Ohio. All of the grease caps have GB on them. The engine looks like a Hinkley, but I have been told it was built with Continental and Waukasha parts. I haven't had time to compare the two engines side by side yet. The one I am restoring and hope to bring to the shows will run. I would like to find axles for the new one (even if they were wrong). I think I can get the engine running (given enough time and money). Carey

• Like 1

I am not sure who built the newer (smaller) Liberty, but the 3 ton I am restoring was probably built by Graham Bernstein in Lima, Ohio. All of the grease caps have GB on them. The engine looks like a Hinkley, but I have been told it was built with Continental and Waukasha parts. I haven't had time to compare the two engines side by side yet. The one I am restoring and hope to bring to the shows will run. I would like to find axles for the new one (even if they were wrong). I think I can get the engine running (given enough time and money). Carey

Here is the 3 tonne in the Bovington Museum in Great Briton. I don't believe the brass radiator is correct but the truck was assembled by Locomobiles Importing facility in Brighton England.

post-3242-0-18503800-1423098649_thumb.jp

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Austin Powered. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

So did you get the transmission? The Liberty that the Marines restored in Triangle Virginia has / had a Liberty parts truck for their restoration. The partially stripped truck was in back of the restoration shop in 2008. A good part of the drive train and axle assemblies were intact. Might be worth contacting the director of the museum LIN EZELL lin.ezell@usmc.mil

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks, Paul. I couldn't find out how to contact anyone there (I am only 22 miles away). This helps a lot. No, I didn't get the tranny. The one in the new truck is different. There are lots of parts on it I do need though. When I am done, I think it will make a pretty cool display unit. Carey

I always think of Hemingway's "Farewell to Arms" when I see WWI military trucks...

That bronze grill surround certainly seems out of place on a military truck. Too good of a target.

British . . .used in France

P.T.CHESHIRE