Fordson Conversions

41chevy

how is it that 75 years ago one machine could do damn near any thing but today it would be almost impossible for a manufacturer to design such a versatile machine. love the pics, but your missing one, the fordson snowmobile it has two tank looking attachments with a spiral flighting and was steered with the wheel brakes. i.ve only seen a online vid. of it but it was cool looking- working.

You sure put in a full day's work when operating any one of those! The gears on the front of the dozer look massive for the machine's size. Was Hadfield-Penfield a forerunner of Bucyrus-Erie or was Bucyrus, Ohio just a hotbed for machinery manufacturers? With the weight of the grader's underslung engine over the drive wheels it could probably do some serious grading in its day!

• Like 2

Fascinating use of the technology and materials available at the time. If so many scrap metal drives hadn't been necessary during WWII, I wonder how many of these marvels would still be working in some capacity today? You can't build anything easier to work on and it's not like the machines were made using solid-state electronics or a zillion different parts. By contrast, and there are examples near all of us, it's common to see a 10 year old piece of machinery (farm or otherwise - and trucks ^_^) in a field someplace already obsolete, broken and rusting away. Or oozing plastic. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

and to think most people love john deere's I think the fordson changed history more than the deere's ........... love the other photos some conversions I have never seen. very nice stuff.

I have been watching the history on the Russian Revolution in the Military Channel. All sides were using by 1918-1919 the Russian built Fordson Tractors. It's mentioned that the tractors totally changed farming in most of Russian. Russia has memorials to the tractors and Postage stamp issued honoring it in the later 1920's.

snow screw in action 1929

belarus_zpsf08e3573.jpg

moscowrussia_zps61c78b56.jpg

russia_zps40a0eb3d.jpg

Soviet_Fordson_stamp1932_zps9c2d1473.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

How about Narrow Gage Railway. Two foot Gage in New Zealand, Austrailia, Japan and Russia in the Mid 1920s. Paul

Fordson-2ftRR_zps0559969f.jpg

Fordson-AdamsonrailtractorNZR_zpsc8729f8

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

You sure put in a full day's work when operating any one of those!

Could you imagine trying to get workers to run this stuff today?? Without power everything and A/C to boot? Nothing would get built!

I enjoy going to the spring show at Lakeside Sand and Gravel. You get to play with all this kinda stuff. Not bad for a day, but not sure I'd survive a work week!! Bit outta shape for that right now.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Paul those square tracks are quite the piece of engineering ! never seen anything like it using the roller chain and idlers to make them "walk", must have been a competition to see who's track system was superior for the price............ Glad I wasn't a parts man when someone said they had a track unit :tease:

• Like 1

I'm glad I didn't have to adjust it all :blush:

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

I have a bunch of H.O. Fordsons and AC MACKS, too small for me to assemble. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 1 year later...

I want a set of tracks for my Ferguson. I bet those square tracks beat you to death on hard ground. In the mud like in the pic might not be so bad. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Looking at the ones with the tracks on them. I'm thinking that you would want to keep your elbows in by your side. Might hurt more getting hit by the track than shifting in a concave cab B model.

Great pictures and Thank you 41chevy for starting this one.  Hippy

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

Looking at the ones with the tracks on them. I'm thinking that you would want to keep your elbows in by your side. Might hurt more getting hit by the track than shifting in a concave cab B model.

Great pictures and Thank you 41chevy for starting this one.  Hippy

Here is the Battle of Briton RAF conversion for towing Wellington and Lancaster bombers early in WWII on dirt fields. It is in the Imperial War Museum and the only survivor as built.

http://Fordson-Aviation-Tractor-IWM-2008-1202_zhttp://Fordson-Aviation-Tractor-IWM-2008-1203_zhttp://Fordson-Aviation-Tractor-IWM-2008-1205_zhttp://9684_zpsobebls9z.jpg

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE