Finally did it. I now own a Mack.

Today's progress:

1. Stripped, prepped, primed, and painted the firewall.

2. Stripped, prepped, and primed the oil pan of the air cleaner. It is now ready for paint (we will paint it with the hood and the cab).

Tomorrow we will be putting the hood lacing on the firewall and removing the mirrors from the doors. We will also be straightening, prepping, and priming the tops of the hoods.

post-18831-0-79864800-1421792235_thumb.j

post-18831-0-15019300-1421792442_thumb.j

• Like 2

Today's progress:

1. Finished sanding and priming the second hood piece. Now both are ready for paint, and we plan on painting them tomorrow.

2. Removed the windshield glass and the rubber. 85% of the body work around the windshield is in fine condition. About 10% is a little wonky and 5% is in rough shape. That's pretty darn good, if you ask me. We might actually get to fix what needs to be fixed tomorrow and then put the new rubber in.

BTW, I found more evidence of mud wasps when I pulled the defroster pieces from inside the windshield. They had built a mud nest in one of the ducts.

Sorry, no pics today, but I should have some tomorrow.

Sorry about the lack of pictures, folks. I might have run into a snag with the paint. I matched it as best as I could with a color chart (the rattle can stuff I've been using vs. the stuff I sprayed on the hood), but it doesn't appear to be a good match once applied. I haven't seen the hoods since they were sprayed on Friday, so I'm holding out hope that they have darkened a little since then. The rattle can green I've used darkened some as it dried and hardened, so if this new paint does the same, it might be OK. If it doesn't darken, I'm not sure I want to continue using it due to it being lighter than I wanted.

Today's progress:

1. Took the doors off.

2. Took air cleaner off. Stripped it down to bare metal. Primed it.

3. Stripped the right side of the cab (exterior) to get it ready for additional prep and priming.

4. Made a tool to reach up under rear cab corner and pop out a big dent.

post-18831-0-69659500-1423179609_thumb.j

post-18831-0-73140600-1423179664_thumb.j

post-18831-0-71504900-1423179720_thumb.j

post-18831-0-04105400-1423179778_thumb.j

• Like 2

Today's progress:

1. Used the home-made tool to pop out the big dent on the cab corner behind the driver's seat. It actually looks pretty good now. You can see the tool in one of the pics. It worked well.

2. Stripped more of the paint off the cab.

3. Removed and disassembled the horn. One of the set screws holding a trumpet broke while still tight, so I used my drill press to drill it out and then unscrew the trumpet. Both trumpets had a bunch of junk (mud, insect debris, etc.). They are both clean now.

4. Tested some of the circuit breakers to try and figure out some of the wiring. Also inspected under the dash to see what needed attention there. The windshield wiper linkage needs work and the hose that supplies hot air to the defroster is missing.

Things are going slower now, obviously, because of the massive amounts of snow we've gotten here. I still look forward to working on the Mack every time, however.

post-18831-0-16352200-1423612239_thumb.j

post-18831-0-31040400-1423612318_thumb.j

post-18831-0-40559600-1423612473_thumb.j

post-18831-0-64126900-1423612568_thumb.j

the patch on the air cleaner looks great, on my truck it was easier to buy new lights. I bought these ones from ebay the fit good and were cast metal http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Amber-Truck-Lights-CHROME-Cab-Marker-Lamps-Peterbilt-/281581918845?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item418f971a7d&vxp=mtr

• Like 2

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

It says for 5, same place I got mine and there was 5 in a box for $45. They also have a slight curve that allowed them to match the roof. I started by installing with taper head machine screws and nylock nuts with star washer than my fat fingers could not get the fronts on the centers so installed some nut inserts and it worked out good and nut the rear.

This what I copied from the site>>>> Pack of 5 Amber Cab Marker Lamps. Picture shows 2, but this listing is for 5.. Acrylic Lens. Die cast chrome housing. Mounting Hardware NOT Included. Lens is replaceable. 12V. Length: 7.91". Height: 2.42". Width: 2.53". Center to Center for Bolt Holes: 5.25".

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."