Brand new to B61's and diesels in general...fuel starvation help

Welcome aboard. Yup, put some new filters on it. It sounds just like my truck after I bought it. Ran fine around town, the first short jaunt up the highway and it would start to cough and sputter. I "assumed" the maintenance had been kept up from the towing company. Not so much. The filter was near clogged shut with slime and crap. Once fixed, it has purred for 13 yrs now.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

welcome mate I reckon your onto the problem the fuel filter I dont think the air filter will be the problem and you will be glad you dont have a twin stick trust me they might look the part but what you have is much easier to drive shame about the GM though at least you wont fall asleep LOL

Paul

Welcome aboard!! A couple things could also be an issue. The fuel return line could have a restriction. The fuel supply line could have crack and drawing some air, maybe a loose fitting. Also the supply line could have a weak spot and partially collapsing after a while. Good luck, Danny

• Like 1

Multiple issues could be at hand. Start at the tank. Is it new and clean fuel? Is there rust that broke up during the trip in the bottom of the tank and causing a blockage at the pickup tube? Are the fuel filters new and tight? Are there any loose fittings on the pump or injection lines? Could be in the pump too just from sitting.

• Like 1

Agree with others. Easy check is to replace the fuel filters. If that doesn't do the trick, start at the tank and check everything to the pump including the return line. Also check the transfer/supply pump. Hope the filters to the trick.

Is the fuel clear? If not, I would drain it and replace with fresh fuel.

BTW, nice B.

P.S. I am sure someone on here will have a few comments about the 2-stroker. :whistling:

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Nice clean B you have there. The 6/71 is not typical in a B, and you may hear some muffled groaning on the forum, but it's a good engine. Simple, lighter weight, starts easily even when it's cold out. Not as much power, tends to be louder, and usually leaks oil. However, I never met a 13 speed I didn't like. There was a day when the 6/71 ruled the highways; Detroit built a ton of them. I think you have an interesting combination there. Good luck with it!

PS I agree with the others about changing out the fuel filters.

Thanks a ton guys! I'm super excited about my first big rig! I'm a classic car guy, and even more of a Corvette guy, so this is a little of course for me, but always wanted a semi...and I'm REALLY excited to find that the total height on mine is a hair less than 8 feet, which means it's going to fit under my house, in my shop!!!

I'm going to grab some fuel filters and an oil and air filter and do some genearal maintence over the weekend to see if I can get the thing a little more road-friendly.

Trying to decide which route to go with the truck...I've got ideas all over the place, from just leaving it like it is, to taking the fifth-wheel off and putting a period correct wooden flat-bed on it, to going all out custom and slamming it on air ride suspension. Seems like a fun vehicle that everyone looks at though!