Detroit Oil Pan Question

maint1

I am putting a new oil pan on a series 60. The new pan looks like it would not use the spacers and would have to use shorter bolts. Hoping one of you Detroit guys could help me out. Maybe it is updated pan? Thanks for your help. Dave

per my DD 50/60 parts book there is a selection of two different isolator/spacer pairs, yet, the bolt has only one length.. 65mm

23505026/23505027 or 23517242/23517243

never seen your issue before so go back to your supplier or oem and compare from their records as there is no dimensional info or close ups of the parts

BC Mack

also make sure your rear main seal is not leaking I have about 22 Series 60's and have replaced oil pan gaskets just to find out it was the R M S if it is then the trans has to come out and you should use the correct tool to remove and install the seal, don't worry most a the time it's just the pan leaking! but do as Glen says and get the newer hardware

BULLHUSK

Thanks for the help. You were right. Shorter bolts, new idolaters and sleeves. The old pan had hit a speed bump. Can't figure why they would have a pan lower than the axel. Anyway no drips no leaks, no errors. (From the oil pan anyway lol)

What year did they start using the updated oilpan?I have an 2005 Series 60. All joking aside it is probably the best engine we ever bought.Joe D.

Joe is yours a 12.7 or a 14 liter my older 12.7's naver gave me trouble only when we got the 14's with the bigger redesigned pan did iI have some issues, no big deal unless the rear main seal had to be replaced! one P-I-T-A to put in and you best start the engine before you put the trans in to see if it leaks! Almost impossible on a Wester Star unless you have a spare trans bellhousing or take the one off your trans which is a real ass pain!

Ernie D

PS How are things? I hope all is well with you and the family, and lookin foward to seeing you and you wife again! Maybe in FL again and see if we could meet up with some of our southern buddies and talk trucks!

Ernie I am working on I-84 Mount Cobb,Penna. I saw one of your Western Stars a few times right before the split with I-380. Job I am on is about one mile from my house. Hard to get better than that after running 48 states. Joe D.

Yah how about it! We have a couple a customers up that way I really like the W-Stars esp. the two gliders with the pre EGR 14liter 575's good fuel eco and first one to the top a the hill! I just bought two Coronadoes and one 4700 Star with the 13 liter 470 hp motors 1650 torque and the pull real well

Ernie D