Can I put a charge air cooled E6-350 in a Steel Nose RD 686?

jeff20878

Hello all,

I have an 1982 RD686SX steel nose cab and chassis (it used to be a roll-off) 18 & 58 axles, triple framed with NO frame spread...was garaged for most of its life.. I want to shorten it up and make it into a lowbed tractor, but I'd like some more power than the Tip Turbine EM6-283 it has now makes

My question is: can a charge air cooled E6 be mounted in an R600 model truck with a steel nose?

It would have to be a custom built cooler and I have looked into it for a friend.But I think you could do good by using a tip turbin from a 320 or 350 engine which has the water cooler in the box with the air cooler.I would start with calling global truck salavage for the parts.The air to air would have to have the tubes run thru all of the metal work on the front to get to the engine.Some one built one and installed it behind the rad but I think that is no good.

glenn akers

Thanks Glenn...are you saying that by adding an intercooler from a 320 or 350 tip turbine motor that my HP would be brought up to that level? I have heard of the 350 tip turbine, but not a 320...is that the same as the 300+ motor I've heard about?

Thanks,

Jeff...

A 300 Plus/315 HP would have ETA673A stamped into the timing chain cast housing just forward of the fuel pump.

Using the block number would help in narrowing down what engine you have.

A Maxidyne 300/285 HP would be marked ENDT676.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I'll definitely give those guys a call...

Here's another question...I've looked at my EM6-285 and compared it with the E6-350 tip turbine and all my service manuals. Everything looks the same: bore, stroke, intercooler, etc.

What would I need to do to make my EM6-285 into a E6-350? Charge the injection pump or heads or?

• 4 weeks later...

Apology re my comment I forgot to say that the E 7 - 400 hp / 4 valve motor is not set up to take the intercooler on top of engine, we wanted to fit an E 7 / 400 hp motor but were told by a Mack company man it can't be done - is this true,

we had a good working E 6 / 350 so we used it