Forbes Article

Bulldog Blues

I don't think this woman has all the facts. And the Volvo spin that was put on it to deflect the blame make me sick.

Our feeling here at Mack, Allentown (not Volvo) is this is Volvo’s fault. They are the ones who cut the engineering and design staff in Allentown. Volvo's the one pushing there designs on our trucks, designs that they were unable to sell and make a profit on in North America. At the same time pushing out the Volvo It system so they can charge Mack more money. Volvo IT is one of the most profitable businesses for Volvo. The problem is we're a truck company!

Sorry for the rant, but the link to this article was the first email I read today (it's going to be one of those days).

Bulldog Blues

I don't think this woman has all the facts. And the Volvo spin that was put on it to deflect the blame make me sick.

Our feeling here at Mack, Allentown (not Volvo) is this is Volvo’s fault. They are the ones who cut the engineering and design staff in Allentown. Volvo's the one pushing there designs on our trucks, designs that they were unable to sell and make a profit on in North America. At the same time pushing out the Volvo It system so they can charge Mack more money. Volvo IT is one of the most profitable businesses for Volvo. The problem is we're a truck company!

Sorry for the rant, but the link to this article was the first email I read today (it's going to be one of those days).

It all makes sense now. Now I know why my VCADS program is a piece of sh*t. I have to call Volvo IT about 1-2 times a week to get it to work and I bet Mack gets billed every time I call because the first thing they ask is my dealer code. If I do get it working for awhile they send me an update disk which screws things up again. Well gotta get back to work( R&R #1 injector in a GU713 MP-8)

It all makes sense now. Now I know why my VCADS program is a piece of sh*t. I have to call Volvo IT about 1-2 times a week to get it to work and I bet Mack gets billed every time I call because the first thing they ask is my dealer code. If I do get it working for awhile they send me an update disk which screws things up again. Well gotta get back to work( R&R #1 injector in a GU713 MP-8)

AMEN brother >It all makes sense now. Now I know why my VCADS program is a piece of sh*t<

Did you look at all the essental tools you NEED To HAVE to work on your new trucks break out harnesses yada yada The only people making the doe here is volvo if they don't make it selling the odd, truck their going to make it selling us tools to work on em ! :)

AMEN brother >It all makes sense now. Now I know why my VCADS program is a piece of sh*t<

Did you look at all the essental tools you NEED To HAVE to work on your new trucks break out harnesses yada yada The only people making the doe here is volvo if they don't make it selling the odd, truck their going to make it selling us tools to work on em ! :)

The owner of our 3 stores about lost his mind when he got the bill for the 3 sets of breakout harnesses kits $15,000 . Bad thing is I know we will need them soon. There were 3 or 4 boxes in each kit but not worth $5,000 per shop we got charged.

I thought our VCADS was the only one that never works right! (At least thats what they tell us when we call in! LOL) :lol:

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

They tell me the same thing too " Oh we never had that error code" B.S.

We have designated computer for the vads!We wiped out ALL unnessary windows programs games and crap that comes with the windows

OPS the dam thing is still as slow as all get out!BUT it dosent error out nearly as often!

Speaking of programs that is another expence to add in to a dealers bottom line!I,m not blaming Volvo for this stuff cause Mack did the same stuff for years

We got esentul tools weve never used from vmac 1 era Fuel pump drive alinment tool,H ring installer Never touched one! the list goes on!

The new tools for the tightening of fuel lines that leak anyways and endup having to tighten em by feel .Its pretty much a crock!

Then the customer wonders why the shop rate is so high. the above is all part and parcel of the expences!included is the time it takes to stand watch a slow computer program work :(

We have designated computer for the vads!We wiped out ALL unnessary windows programs games and crap that comes with the windows

OPS the dam thing is still as slow as all get out!BUT it dosent error out nearly as often!

Speaking of programs that is another expence to add in to a dealers bottom line!I,m not blaming Volvo for this stuff cause Mack did the same stuff for years

We got esentul tools weve never used from vmac 1 era Fuel pump drive alinment tool,H ring installer Never touched one! the list goes on!

The new tools for the tightening of fuel lines that leak anyways and endup having to tighten em by feel .Its pretty much a crock!

Then the customer wonders why the shop rate is so high. the above is all part and parcel of the expences!included is the time it takes to stand watch a slow computer program work :(

We went and got the Mack recomended Toughbook computer and have our Mack programs for VMAC1-3, Eaton abs program, Bendix program, Cummins INSITE and VCADS. All work great except for the VCADS, we tried to install the Preium Tech Tool and when we did it was like watching a snail run, way to slow. You could click on Vcads then go to the bathroom then go get a drink and smoke a cig and then see if you can log on. We had to take off the Premium Tech tool till we can get another laptop, which sucks because it has the only manuals for the DPF troubleshooting, Mack dosent make any books/paper manuals for DPF's and they say they wont , you have to use the Premium Tech Tool program.

We went and got the Mack recomended Toughbook computer and have our Mack programs for VMAC1-3, Eaton abs program, Bendix program, Cummins INSITE and VCADS. All work great except for the VCADS, we tried to install the Preium Tech Tool and when we did it was like watching a snail run, way to slow. You could click on Vcads then go to the bathroom then go get a drink and smoke a cig and then see if you can log on. We had to take off the Premium Tech tool till we can get another laptop, which sucks because it has the only manuals for the DPF troubleshooting, Mack dosent make any books/paper manuals for DPF's and they say they wont , you have to use the Premium Tech Tool program.

Yet another money grab???

Hey not trying to change the subject on you guys but........ speaking of vcads is their any way to change parameters (primairily pto rpm) on on a volvo ved7 1998 electonicly controlled pump.? I picked up a cab over wx volvo and have a customer who is having me modify and install a TMR mixer to feed his cows.. I have a snap on modis but all i can do with it is read the params not adjust them. ANy help would be apreciated!!

Hey not trying to change the subject on you guys but........ speaking of vcads is their any way to change parameters (primairily pto rpm) on on a volvo ved7 1998 electonicly controlled pump.? I picked up a cab over wx volvo and have a customer who is having me modify and install a TMR mixer to feed his cows.. I have a snap on modis but all i can do with it is read the params not adjust them. ANy help would be apreciated!!

I dont know on a Volvo. Our VCADS program is the same one the Volvo shops use but to use the program every tech has his own password and that password lets you into the Mack side or the Volvo side. If you work at a dual dealer you can use it on Mack or Volvo. We are Mack only. I am clueless on the Volvo, sorry

Tools for tightening fuel lines????????? What do you mean? Maybe we should use something like that in the plant! NOT!

Tools for tightening fuel lines????????? What do you mean? Maybe we should use something like that in the plant! NOT!

Big recall on all ASET AC engines, 39,310 trucks, Replace injector lines and use special tool to tourque lines. Every tech that puts them on has to watch a video and take a test to get certified to install injector lines now. We do about 3 trucks a week. If you dont do it right, fuel leaks onto the exhaust manifold and engine catches fire, ask us how we know.

It amazes me how Volvo can charge dealers, companies that market and distribute their products, $5000 for a friggen wire harness. Corporate BS at its finest! VCADS? If Volvo were commited to their products they would realise that their products need to be serviced and if I were then I would try to give dealers the tools to fix the trucks at eithe no cost or low cost. And seriously The ASET debacle looks like weak engineering which really goes to show either they have poor engineering talent or not enough funding/materials/engineers to properly design engines. What happened to Mack's leadership in the diesel engine market?

ASET = Absolutly S&%$ Engine Technology

The Maxidyne blew people away with a 237HP engine that could pull 80+k with a 5 speed! Holy crap you couldent even do that today. Its a shame it all ended with the horrid ASET before Volvo came in and bailed them out with the D12/13.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I will keep rebuilding my E6's and R models until there is just nothing left to rebuild!

AMEN Brother then when the E 6 & E7 CANT BE REBUILT ANYMORE IM GOING TO THE NEXT BEST MOTOR IN MY OPION "Hummin Cummins"

later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Sounds like I might have to go bang some desks at our Volvo and Mack dealers. We are nearly 180 miles from the nearest one and I can't even get access to the website to look at tech publications. Why? " Because you're not an authorised dealer or workshop" is the standard reply. BUT, when it comes to fixing stuff these tossers have "never heard of", they are quite happy to talk on the phone and find out what took me 5 hours to diagnose and repair on my own WITHOUT a laptop and their software. All seems a bit one way to me.

• 1 month later...
Bulldog Blues

3P I'm sorry you guys have to suffer thru vulgarvo. I wish I were rich for one reason and one reason only, I would buy :mack1: FROM THOSE IDIOTS, and I would do what :mack1: has always done build the best Trucks in the world. I've been daydreaming of that since I found out that vulgarvo had bought :mack1: My biggest fear is they do the same to :mack1: as they have done to Autocar,G.M.C. AND White. :mack1: had been gaining market share through out the 90's and then vulgarvo buy them out and screws up everything. That's what happens when EURO-TRASH-LANDERS take over. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::mack1: FOREVER

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

Well, weather you drive the new red motor crap or work on the red motor crap it's still crap.Fault codes on VMAC IV don't mean anything,if it has a code for injector #3 it is not going that one thats bad,if you get a turbo code it might be the Nox sensor. Premium tech tool now there is more crap, worked on a truck that PTT showed no boost pressure so I did all the test that it recommended, 2 hours later changed laptops, used Vads found boost pressure was fine,figure that out. For example lets use the boost pressure PTT will give you a whole ration of test to go through but the end result is going to tell you to replace the sensor.Even if you enter open circult when prompt to check continiuity,it still says to replace the sensor.Sorry,did'nt mean to go on like that but,if you deal with it you understand.

DON'T FEAR THE REAPERMP