Power Steering Issues....Out Of Ideas

'96 CL713 has Shepard twin steering gear. One day while driving, driver lost power steering. Then a hour later it came back. It kept doing this so I took it in. They replaced bearing on steering shaft, steered fine. Next day, no power steering again. This time they replaced the pump, old one had no flow and low pressure. Now the truck steered very stiff, like your trying to run while in water....they now replaced driver side steering gear...then passenger side steering gear and another new pump! We're out of ideas and I'm running out of $! Lol. If you turn wheel to lock one way and then turn back its real hard to turn. We also replaced all hosed too and filter. And I only run ATF in them. Thanks

Something that happened to me when we put the twin boxes on the Pete. left no problem right it would hit a wall then turn. ended up having air in the system. finally got it all out it doesn't have that hitch when right but still a stiff steering bastard.

Sheppard has their service manuals on line for free. Kinda hard to find them on there though. Im going with air in system or something floating around in resivore clogging supply to pump. I assume its a 92 series gear , the M series sometimes had places to bleed the air out.

milk man how did they route the hoses? if they have loops or high arcs you could very well have trapped air in the hoses. its damn near impossible to force air down hill, and no more oil that is used between boxes vs. the length of hose this could be it.

Method I have used several times is to jack up the front axle, get both wheels off the ground, slightly crack both pressure lines, without truck running, turn steering wheel in both directions a number of times, keep the tank full and this forces air out of system without the pump cavitying . close off lines while someone keeps turning the steering wheel. Hillbilly Method

• Like 1

Method I have used several times is to jack up the front axle, get both wheels off the ground, slightly crack both pressure lines, without truck running, turn steering wheel in both directions a number of times, keep the tank full and this forces air out of system without the pump cavitying . close off lines while someone keeps turning the steering wheel. Hillbilly Method

This works best, just don't turn the wheel to fast. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Sheppard gears have a bleeder screw inside of a nut on top of the gear. You turn the steering full left and open the bleeder 3-4 turns and turn it to the right and close the bleeder and repeat untill no air comes out. I do this with the engine running. I have seen this cause many issues and have had other dealers miss this step. Also are you getting full turning lock to lock? The steering should stop about 1/4 inch from the steering stops. If not the boxes need to be adjusted if they have manual stops and if they have auto stops they need to be reset and the front wheels off of the ground and the steering turned lock to lock to set them.