East coast vs West coast?

Although I do not know the exact answer, I would look at the possibility that east coasters liked the MACK engine.

Left coasters were more of a Cummins crowd.

Due to the engine configuration, a different hood was needed to accommodate the variant engine

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Although I do not know the exact answer, I would look at the possibility that east coasters liked the MACK engine.

Left coasters were more of a Cummins crowd.

Due to the engine configuration, a different hood was needed to accommodate the variant engine

This sound good to me!

The length laws on the east coast kept engines small but in the Wild West where there were no length laws big horse power was king. Bigger engines were needed to pull longer trailers, doubles or triples. The big hoods covered the big engines. The big radiators did the cooling. That is why the superliner was developed. A bigger hood to cover a bigger radiator to cool a bigger engine. I see more superliners in the road now in PA then I did when they were in production. I think they are being shipped in from the west coast. That is what I was told anyway. Mike

post-7810-0-95191100-1399691062_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I was always curious of this myself...Our 74' RS700L came with a V-8 Mack. Something about that hood makes it cooler than any 359]/379 ever built. They just have that blocky/in your face look!

• Like 1

My understanding was the taller hoods allowed for larger radiators and more air flow thru the hood and under the cab to help with cooling of big power. The longer hoods allowed for big block cat and cummings. Not to mention front mount intercooling becoming more popular.