Tearing into the fronts springs of my B

Well, since my home computer will NOT let me post pictures, here is the rebuilt spring. Pretty nice work.

IMG_20140411_173132_068_zps9223ee54.jpg

Oh, when I got the truck back on the ground Sunday morning I remeasured ride height. Hmmmmm, it is perfectly level. Sayyywhat?? Ya, it was actually low on the drivers side by about 1/2" and now it is level. Go figure. With it getting cold this week I won't be getting it out to wash it up and take it for a spin. Might have to wait for Sat?

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

$344 with two new u bolts. That was hand forming the top two leafs since they are NLA. Apparently if it was "berlin eye", meaing the loop drooped off center then you can get it out of a catalog. With the flat loop, no.

They riveted the pads back on, rebuilt the factory clamps with new bolts. I say they did a nice job on it.

• Like 1

Larry

I asked about pricing before I brought it down and we talked about the spring eye design. I knew I would have about that in it so I was not shocked. They cleaned up the rest of the leafs because there was some rust spreading going on with the broken clamps.

Larry

I propped it up with a 4x4 so I did not have to try to hold it up. No way that was happening!! Then I sat down on the floor and it was just "row row row your boat"....til I finally got it to go "CLICK". Ugh.

Larry

Well, ran it out to get some fuel in the tanks for next weekend and she runs along okay. I did notice my steering wheel is turned a bit more, and I have a hard time two handing since the spoke is now right at the bottom. Used to be off to the right side and you could slip your arm through. Now you can't. Gotta pull it off and rotate it out of the way. With that wore out rear pin, the spring pack must have moved back ever so slightly and now it is new/tight and moved back and that moved the wheel slighty.

Gave her a bath and full lube job all around so it is road ready. Going to spend the day swapping vehicle around to get race car in the trailer and all prepped for first big race next week. Man..............I've been waiting 7 months for this!!!

• Like 2

Larry

Looks like the center bolt is about rotted away. You will need to get the rear springs off or at least taken free from the other suspension parts. Once you do that you can replace the bolt or take to a spring shop or pay someone to do that work. Worst part is everything is heavy and big. The center bolt keeps the spring pack together and aligned over the axle and/or over the other suspension components depending on setup (single axel, tandem,...). The center bolt holds the springs and every thing aligned, it is a critical part of the suspension.

Luckily they are not that expensive and you can get them from a parts store or spring shop.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Looks like the center bolt is about rotted away. You will need to get the rear springs off or at least taken free from the other suspension parts. Once you do that you can replace the bolt or take to a spring shop or pay someone to do that work. Worst part is everything is heavy and big. The center bolt keeps the spring pack together and aligned over the axle and/or over the other suspension components depending on setup (single axel, tandem,...). The center bolt holds the springs and every thing aligned, it is a critical part of the suspension.

Luckily they are not that expensive and you can get them from a parts store or spring shop.

my problem is I'm afraid to try and take it apart. It's a 55k suspension and I think I will be opening a supersized can of worms. I would like to find a whole rear cut off from a dm800 so I can have spring brakes and go a little faster but everyone wants 5k or more.

yup, two new U bolts and a center bolt and your back in business. you can cut the old U bolts with the head wrench and grind that center bolt off and just unstack the pack of springs til you get to the main 3 leaves. then jack both ends up til you can get the old center bolt out and a new one in, then restack the leaves and tighten it all back up with new bolts. not hard just heavy. your right tho, might be cheaper to find Dm800 with newer rears, newer brakes and maybe a higher gear ratio, then stuff and E9 under the hood of that B81 and a 12 speed Mack and your good to go.......

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg