1970 Western Mack R

r686st

Did the underslung or inverted camelback have the spring eyes like the taper-leaf, as shown in the pics? Almost looks like the beam/leaf set-up they had at one time (B-53). Anyway,nice truck that somebody here should own! :MackLogo:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Looking to restore a 74' R700L. I've been going back and forth with my dad on which motor to put in it. I'm leaning to a V-8 Mack but my dad keeps saying he wants to put a V-12 detroit in it. Truck originally came with a V-8, but I was curious, was the v-12 detroit even an option in 74 or any other year for that matter?

Looking to restore a 74' R700L. I've been going back and forth with my dad on which motor to put in it. I'm leaning to a V-8 Mack but my dad keeps saying he wants to put a V-12 detroit in it. Truck originally came with a V-8, but I was curious, was the v-12 detroit even an option in 74 or any other year for that matter?

Unfortunately yes- in Hayward R-Models 12V71 DD's were an option. Why I have no idea and anyone who would want one on purpose should get their head examined. But yes, V12 DD's were available. Hayward trucks only, not Allentown Trucks.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I have one with a V-12 RL700L at the time (1971) it was rated @ 475 hp mine is about 525 maybe? Your gonna have to move the cab back about 6" to squeez that baby in but it's gonna be well worth it!! It is by far one of the best engines ever made and not many will catch you if you are geared right, and they last for ever! There is nothin like the sound of a V12 or a V 8. Mack! Mack made a 6 " spacer between the cab an the hood and there is no cut away for the vent in the hood you also have to make room on the driver side for another air cleaner

BULLHUSK

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
On 9/9/2020 at 2:19 PM, Laurel Sherburne said:

We have a 1970 Mack Truck with a Scania engine that ran great when we put it up and garaged it quite a few years ago, Its an R401P, S/N R401P16471.

We used it as an oil delivery truck.  Never let us down..  I am selling it. Asking $2000.  Ooops cant seem to download pics.

Remember this trailer?

IMG_1904.JPG

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Outbehindthebarn said:

Having it painted next month.. so yes, still in use.. put a ton of dough in it since I got it off you... don't make like that anymore. Do you remember what I paid you for it?

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.