1953 Pirsch Aerial 85 ft ladder truck

Timothy Maikshilo

Good luck to the seller of this one. Not too many collectors are interested in ladders, especially tillers. Take up too much space and you always need a second person to move it, unless you're just going a short distance in a straight line.

I know where there is an old 700 series ALF ladder truck, sitting in a field behind a church, waiting for someone to grab it, take it home and give it a proper restoration. Will probably never happen and it will rust into the ground.

No better or worse than any of the old aerial ladders. We are spoiled now. At least it is metal, not wood.

Carl I climbed an old wooden aerial one time just to be able to say "I did it." And the flex of that didn't come close to that of a Pirsch riveted/huck bolted aluminum stick.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

The ALF I tillered was so crooked when it was fully extended you had to aim for the window next to the one you wanted to climb through. When E-One, Grove, LTI, etc. got in on the act they spoiled us by making the ladders so strong you could actually tell when the climber's knees were shaking.

• Like 2

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Seen a few years ago is Leominster, MA 1967 Maxim LST 100.

Best of all it is powered by a turbocharged 671 Detroit!

Are you sure it was a 671-T and not a natural??? Many of the drivelines in earlier Maxims were set up for 817G Waukeshas running at 3200 RPM's and when swapped out were done so with 617-N's.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Are you sure it was a 671-T and not a natural??? Many of the drivelines in earlier Maxims were set up for 817G Waukeshas running at 3200 RPM's and when swapped out were done so with 617-N's.

I saw it about 8 years ago so the memory is.....

Pretty sure it had a turbo which was plumbed into the blower.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

A few things about the ad. The seller gives the year as 1953, based on the serial number being 1953? Pirsch used that sheet metal for alot of years so it could be the coincidence of the century. The engine being a 5.3 they are using part of the engine size off the tag. Is that is the bore & stroke ? I wonder which Salem it came from ? Salem N.Y. is alot closer than Salem Mass.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/4312980544.html

A few things about the ad. The seller gives the year as 1953, based on the serial number being 1953? Pirsch used that sheet metal for alot of years so it could be the coincidence of the century. The engine being a 5.3 they are using part of the engine size off the tag. I that is the bore & stroke ? I wonder which Salem it came from ? Salem N.Y. is alot closer than Salem Mass.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/4312980544.html

Mike did you notice that he said to call in the ad but left no phone number? Pretty hard to sell if you can't get a hold of someone!

Maxim sold a lot of tiller trucks, as well as being the ladder that Mack used for a very long time.

I always thought it was the strongest ladder out there of all of the "old standard" ladders.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!