Replacing air horn...

Hello fellow Mackaholics !

I would like to replace the factory single round air horn on my truck (1981 R) with a square horn. I've never done this before and would like some advice on how to do it. Do I have to take off the interior roof panels ? Or what will I find when I unscrew the original horn from the roof, etc. ? Thank you !

post-12926-0-59140300-1387862006_thumb.j

I agree about round horns but I replaced mine and I did have to drop the headliner.You will have to plumb airlines to go dual horns it's not a big deal.I also found that the length is different on the mounting brackets from round to square so you will have to do some drilling on your roof.

Keep what you have. The new square front horns start peeling and rust out,the old round chrome plated brass ones last a lifetime

To say nothing of the fact that if you put a square horn on it, you will have to start wearing a flat brim baseball hat that is two sizes two big so it covers the top of your ears and start driving with air out of your seat so you can barely see over the dash! :D

Actually could be worse-you could be asking about a quad locomotive horn!

Just purchased two (2) Grover air horns for my MH. It currently has one (1) round Grover that is checked and pitted. I will have to drill holes for the second horn. According to the parts book, the horn is attached with bolts, not screws. Going to use stainless hardware. I will need to remove the headliner. Plan to install a Tee at the valve and run dual air lines (one to each horn), Do the air lines need to be the same length?

I changed my round hron to a new round Grover stutter tone fire truck horn. My horn had all the chrome wearing off of her and wasn't working.

I thought about buying Stuttertone horns but opted for the original.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"