rebuilding 2 E9 v8s need INFO !

R Gokey

I have 2 E9s that need to be rebuilt 1980 and 1989 they have served me very well in my company . the 1980 is engine only ( cab and chassie are beyound repair) looking at a glider.

would like to build to 700 hp +

any and all help is need and welcome Thanks Rg.

• Like 2

Hmmm, wanna sell em? For 700hp you don't need to do much, a turbo, injectors and pump settings will get you 700+ to the wheels reliably. Call Antrim Diesel they have what you need, they are quick on turn around on injectors too.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

There's pics on here somewhere of Killer and Buckeye both running quads, of course one 80mm Borg Warner will make 800+ HP on an E9.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

If I was going to run twins I would mount them behind the engine to the sides of where the stock turbo is, you could run smaller turbos, probably 50mm or so and get plenty out of em. The real issue is gonna be the piping but again it can be smaller so I think it would fit. The other option would be two 60-65mm turbos mounted towards the rear on each side as far outboard as you could, then dump the exhaust to one stack on each side under the cab, or if you want to scavenge the exhaust from side to side run two 4" pipes to a 6" Y and back out or up one larger stack, you would need a lot of fuel and compression to run a 60-65mm of 4 cyls though. Hell you would have a hell of a time spinning a 50-55mm on each side with a stock E9 and making any boost, most stock E9's running a 65mm turbo rarely make over 25lbs. The big thing people don't understand about these engines is that they didn't use a lot of turbo to make their power in stock form so the more pressure you put on em the shorter the life and the bigger the chance of catastrophic failure. The stock E9 turbo is a 60 or 65mm and there are a lot of guys making over 800hp on under 50lbs of boost with an 80mm so I don't see the draw of twins, actually I don't think anyone I have talked to used more than 40-45psi to do anything on the road. I have seen a pulling truck running an 80mm making 65lbs and one running a 90mm making 60 and they were no where near stock, probably making 1000hp plus at the wheels. Brutus what do you have on your pulling truck, Holset HT4C? how much boost and how much pump and injector to get it to work?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Phil, your truck is what keeps me going back to Notre Dame Du Nord every August. For those of you that has never seen his truck in action it is AWESOME! The first year I went up to the Rodeo they had it doing burnouts on the hill and when they stopped and lit her up it literally pulverized the asphalt and when it pulled away and the smoke cleared they had to kick the asphalt back into the ruts it was almost on fire. So cool! That Superliner looks great! Looking forward to seeing it at the Rodeo when it's done. We met at the rodeo last summer I was visiting Tyson over where he camps at by his tuck on Sunday afternoon he was going to take me for a ride in his Superliner but we didn't get to it last year , my brothers went up the hill with him a couple years ago never time it right to be around when he's staging maybe this year. Didn't know you were on BMT but glad to see you are. Thanks for sharing your photos keep us posted on your progress on the Superliner and please share more when you get some.