truck weight

609albert

Our 1974 "CF" had a GVW of 33,000 lbs, give or take a few. It was a basic 1000/500 with high side compartments, a real workhorse with few frills (typical northern New England). I would imagine that a

similarly equipped "R" would be a few lbs. less due to fewer occupants.

bulldogboy

If you want to stay under the regular license limit without needing a CDL, it is the trucks maximum gross weight rating that determines that, not the weight of the truck. If the GVWR is over 26,000 you need a CDL. But as I understand it, some states allow you to run any hobby truck without a CDL. It may need historical or collector plates?

Hello Albert,

Google or check the Federal motor carriers site. I just went through the new federal license giudelines. People Driving a fire truck is NO LONGER excempt from CDL's except when driving to a fire and then returning back to station. Any other driving of firetrucks go by thier weight class. Even if a fire dept. drives a firetruck to a parade, to get fuel or any other running , the driver needs a Commercial OR Noncomercial drivers license for that weight class. It is the same with rv's. But if you ask any rv dealer they will not tell you the truth because they want to make a sale. As far as firetrucks, nobody will say anything to you untill you have to stop at a scale house on a interstate, or are stopped by the dot, or god forbid you are in a accident with it. There are many that will say I am full of bs, but don't take my word for it check it out. I had made 5 trips to harrisburg pa. dot to try and get the right info concerning the the papers I recieved from the Federal Motor Carrier Division about my class A cdl's , and the pa. state dot did not know much info, except that there was big changes comming into affect by june of 2014 nation wide. Most fire dept. insurance carriers are even requireing drivers to have the new Commercial or Non-commercial license. If you own a rv or are NOT using your license to make money, then you just need to take the test for what ever weight class that you intend to drive whether it is a class B or class A. If you drive and use your license to drive and make money , then you will need a Commercial class cdl licencse and a medical card. I my self have always had a CDL class A, since I don't drive anything anymore except my antique fire trucks I switched to a NON -commercial class A drivers licesne. It is just a thing to make more money for the states and to keep tabs on peoples medical cards. check it out and good luck..

George

That's my situation; I've had my CDL for over 40 years (not class A). My license expires in 2014 and because I do not have a current medical card I'm thinking that I will have to revert to an

Operator's license. I haven't driven a commercial truck or fire truck in years and, at my age, I doubt that I will ever again. I have been told that I could still get a CDL without a medical card

if I am only driving non-commercial within the state (NH). I will look into this but, like I said, I think the truck driving days are over. I have my fond memories of driving Mack "L", "B" and "C"

model fire trucks.

bulldogboy

• Like 1

IIRC, in OH you don't need a medical card if you only drive within the state. Also, I heard from a PA friend you do not need a CDL if the vehicle is licensed as ANTIQUE regardless of weight. Dang rules are not clear and up for interpretation, even by the law enforcement agencies - depends who you talk to. Just let us enjoy our hobby. Some agencies don't understand "playing with big trucks" is a hobby.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

That's my situation; I've had my CDL for over 40 years (not class A). My license expires in 2014 and because I do not have a current medical card I'm thinking that I will have to revert to an

Operator's license. I haven't driven a commercial truck or fire truck in years and, at my age, I doubt that I will ever again. I have been told that I could still get a CDL without a medical card

if I am only driving non-commercial within the state (NH). I will look into this but, like I said, I think the truck driving days are over. I have my fond memories of driving Mack "L", "B" and "C"

model fire trucks.

bulldogboy

Bulldogboy, Honestly.... You are more than welcome to come drive my "L" anytime....I'm sure it would enjoy an experienced driver

Just got a letter from the New Jersey MVC concerning CDL ,they list 4 categories to chose from,if you chose category 1 or 3 you must submit a medical certificate.

If you chose category 2 or 4 you don't need the medical certificate. Anyway, everytime I read the letter I get a different meaning , I guess I'll just get a physical exam and be done with it.

Albert,

Have you raised this issue with the SPAMFAA chapter? This could effect all of us and I'd like to hear what SPAAMFAA's position is?

As for the "you will need a CDL to drive fire apparatus to anything but a fire" I'm pretty sure you would have heard about this before. The NVFC and the IAFC would be raising hell about this and I have not heard a peep. PA Firemen does a pretty good job of keeping up with PA legislative issues and unless I missed it I have not seen anything about this in their legislative column.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Cummins6900. As far as the RV license you mentioned this is not a federal regulated issue but a state regulated issue. Each state has regulations as to what type of license is required to drive an RV. Most of the license requirement are various classes of non commercial licenses. As to Ohio, where I live, I can drive any RV no matter what the size is with a normal operators license. For the past 7 years I have owned Prevost buses converted to Motorhomes, think entertainer coach, and all that is required is a regular drivers license.

This is true even if the RV is built on a Class 8 chassis. Use it as a truck - CDL required, use it as a motorhome - no CDL required. Again, this is an Ohio regulation.

I do have a Class A CDL.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

TN does not have a non commercial class a or b, if you own it you can drive it as long as it is for non commercial use, I know lots of guys with antique trucks and farm trucks here that don't have cdl's and not one has ever been hassled as long as its no for hire. I know all of the antique and most farm truk guys have not for hire on the side and most I know have never even been stopped or asked anything, the gvw doesn't matter the size doesn't matter, for hire matters. On the CF having a gvw of 33k that's gross vehicle weight rating G-V-W-R, loaded not empty weight, the empty weight is probably more like 20-24k, our old mack CF was 21,000 without water and hose when we drove it back from up north.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Albert,Have you raised this issue with the SPAMFAA chapter? This could effect all of us and I'd like to hear what SPAAMFAA's position is?As for the "you will need a CDL to drive fire apparatus to anything but a fire" I'm pretty sure you would have heard about this before. The NVFC and the IAFC would be raising hell about this and I have not heard a peep. PA Firemen does a pretty good job of keeping up with PA legislative issues and unless I missed it I have not seen anything about this in their legislative column.

I agree with Carl, I would think there would be all kinds of buzz about this in the fire service.....I don't have a CDL...I'll let you know if I get pulled over this week driving the engine