Fuller RT-910?

Bigdogtrucker

I bought a bunch of LN-9000's in like 73-74 with RT-910's and 238 HP 6-71's single axle tractors that replaced a like number of White 9000's that were Cummins V-185 powered. The drivers considered me a hero.

And as a matter of fact we also had 910's in back of tandem 8V-71s (318's) and tandem NH 250's. RT-910 in my book was a durable easy shifting trans.

PS- want to cry- I think those LN -9000's were under 20 grand! Like I say- "I think"- I also bought LN-8000's maybe I'm getting senile and it was the 3208's that were for that price-either way-cant buy a 150 today for that number :rolleyes:

• Like 1

RT910 has nice gear steps and a good low gear, little on the weak side for anything Ive ever had but as long as you dont beat on it it should hold up to a 6-71 fine. I gotta find a 18613 or a 18618 something like that in the 1800# range,(and hope I dont kill it).

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Yep, definitely a new breed taking over. I'll admit that I do like the comfort of today's trucks but I'll drive anything that's roadworthy because that's what I signed up for. It was only 7 years ago that I was running from PA to as far west as MI and as far east as Ocean City, MD in an R model daycab. Like you, I survived and now have some priceless memories that I wouldn't have if I spent that time in a (insert modern plastic truck here).

• Like 2

Jim

Yep, definitely a new breed taking over. I'll admit that I do like the comfort of today's trucks but I'll drive anything that's roadworthy because that's what I signed up for. It was only 7 years ago that I was running from PA to as far west as MI and as far east as Ocean City, MD in an R model daycab. Like you, I survived and now have some priceless memories that I wouldn't have if I spent that time in a (insert modern plastic truck here).

I agree with this statement. Hell back when I was a company driver if it was road worthy I'd ride. Drove many trucks with no a/c Hell spent most of the summer in this with no a/c. Didn't sleep in it though. I'll tellyou it was hot as hell some days. Even now if the temp is pretty reasonable I open the vents and open the windows. I really enjoy it. Then again I grew up on trucks that didn't have a/c or anything for a/c.

• Like 2

I agree as well! I also grew up in/on trucks and most back then didn't have A/C, power-steering,air-ride, etc.but I didn't "live" in the truck like now. My Dad's 72 White-Freightliner C.O.E was the first truck I remember with factory A/C (still no power-steering) new breed is definitely spoiled! a days work in a "real" truck prolly kill most of them! (provided they could figure out how to start or shift it!).........................................Mark

• Like 2

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of 238's had RT-910's behind them.

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, a driver would appreciate that setup. :)

For sure- and it was a big deal to get an air ride seat so you could blow it up to get good vision over the hood-nice feature of R Models and Louisvilles-great visibility-but back then every driver must have been stupid because they did not see the benefit of driving with your ass on the floor and your hat on backwards! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

And we thought your where a MACK MAN!!!!!!!!

EJ- I am-but with an appreciation for Louisvilles-great value when you speced them right! Actually when I was forced to take a year off from school and worked for a No Haven contractor I wanted him to buy a 56 T-800 that was for sale-good thing he didn't buy it or I might not have gone back to school! By the way-remember seeing a beautiful 56 F-800/900 that was parked at a house near Blakeslee/Arp/Chapmans yard? I might have bought that if I could have found it.

back on topic r= roadranger t=twin countershaft 9= 900 ft.lbs.torque 10= speed if poor memory serves me right you can flip 4 & 5 around on the main and counter shaves and make a rto910 o= overdrive. more on recent posts you mean the defroster fans weren't a/c ? the boss told me that was a/c

Fords a nice truck but hard to get parts to many different engines hoses exhaust dealer cant stock every thing we had Louyville 9000 318 10speed single axle for Kero lube oil price out the the dual exhaust late 80s it was 5500.00 at bridge haven Ford

Ed

back on topic r= roadranger t=twin countershaft 9= 900 ft.lbs.torque 10= speed if poor memory serves me right you can flip 4 & 5 around on the main and counter shaves and make a rto910 o= overdrive. more on recent posts you mean the defroster fans weren't a/c ? the boss told me that was a/c

I am one fingered one handed old man for a few weeks and just spent 15 min hammering out a post and hitting the wrong key and watched my post go away.One handed because I broke a wrist a week ago and a patch up job done this morning.All is good but will be on the internet more for next 6 weeks.

Speaking of the RTO,yes you can flip the gears but your not going to like it.There is difference in a home built rto and factory rto.My self and many other guys have did this for different reasons.The reason I remember was in the 220.250, and 238 days there was many guys that updated their hp and added a turbo for more power. Now they need more speed and cheapest way was make home built rto by flipping top two gears on main shaft.With the low torqe rise engines that is in most cases too much spread in the rpm. With todays hi/torque rise engines that spread will not be so bad.I have did lots of these trans that and also the 9513

glenn akers