1965 864 MACK V8

Jocko

I've got to stick up for the owner. It is his truck, he wants to put a 237 in it do it.

Cool to keep it original, but... I personally would either sell it and buy the "right" truck, or swap it out and keep the V8 in the shed for the future.

I wouldn't be afraid of fixing the old beast up to haul with every day. Make a real truck driver out of ya. I would do it just to prove that I could. I may very well do that with my old truck too.

• Like 1

Even Danny from Count's Kustoms (Counting Cars on the History Channel) had a guy come into his shop wanting major modernizations & some updating done to a very NICE classic Caddy...wanted it to be safer & more reliable for his kids & grandkids to drive...and Danny wouldn't do the work until he'd checked all of the numbers to make sure it wasn't still an original. As a car guy, he didn't want to be the first one to hack up a car that had survived 50-60 years intact. I am in that same camp myself...if a guy wants to modernize a classic vehicle, start with one that has already been altered...and leave the numbers-matching originals to the collectors and restorers. Swapping the motor out of a numbers-matching truck could depreciate the value of the truck by far more than you paid for it...especially if the numbers-matching aspect was not known and therefore not factored into the price when you bought it. If that is the case, do a little research...contact the Mack Museum...and if it really IS still all original, you could probably sell it to the right person for enough to buy a non-original truck, a spare parts truck, the motor you want, overhaul the new motor, and have it installed. Or, hack up the truck you've got and you just have a truck. Of course if the info you get from the Mack Museum indicates that the truck is NOT, in fact, still original, then by all means do what you want with it and send the motor to a good home.

Well said Rebel...That's also why I like my B75 so much,it's nearly all original.Being a B75 it seems like the majority of them are stretched/repowered ect...And while I do love those modded trucks i'd never drastically alter mine,i'd get another to do that if I could.

• Like 1

id alter yours Bigdog, at least the title and out it in my name :). im with rebel on the B815. IF it is in fact original with the 864 I wouldn't alter it. Cliff Sharpe in Nj is an 864 guru and would probably be interested in it for a good price. as rebel said you could probably buy a 237, another truck and restore for the price you could sell that original 815.

• Like 2

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Cool truck. I'll trade you my B-81 and you can swap out 673 to 237. Although i doubt NJ emissions will let you do much other than drive it in a parade. Actually my 673 runs great and why not use it instead of going through the whole swap thing?

Cool truck. I'll trade you my B-81 and you can swap out 673 to 237. Although i doubt NJ emissions will let you do much other than drive it in a parade. Actually my 673 runs great and why not use it instead of going through the whole swap thing?

Then I can trade you my 759 for the B815

• Like 2