New dog at home! '57 B61 dump

Ok have to start keeping my eyes peeled for 24.5's then. I like the big cab protector and the high sidded body too. I would just air her up and pull start her but its down in their back yard so ill have to either drive her out or tow it. It was starting fine and now the starter doesnt turn and the wiring is gonna need some help so im figureing to jump the starter over and go from there

• Like 1

Well went up to see if i could get the ole girl to fire up. After loading up with what tools i thought i might need, i drove up and started working. I got the tires aired up and as it turns out they weren't flat just sunk into the ground. I used the hand primer pump to make sure i had fuel to IP. I had hooked up a battery charger when i started and gave it a try, just the solenoid clicking. Ok well lets try to just just the starter over. Well only being familiar with r series solenoid being on the firewall i had to trace cables to find it under the seat. Honestly would have been the last place id looked. Well i only had one screwdriver and a pair of pliers. I should have knew better than to try but in light of better judgement i tried to jump it over with the pliers and knocked crap outta my self. Found another screwdriver and after melting the tip off of it she cranked over about 6 times and fired right up. I was surprised that it appears to have original air park brake. I always thought they had a parking brake drum off the back of the trans? Heres a video of her running sorry its dark it was about 9:00 when i got it running.

• Like 1

Awesome find. I am starting to get a fond appreciation for single axle B dump trucks. It would be nice to have for around the house jobs like mulch. Yeah, that's the excuse to tell my wife, mulch.

Good luck with it

• Like 1

"I was surprised that it appears to have original air park brake"

I don't think they were available (or invented) in 1957 as an option, spring brakes didn't become popular until the mid to late 70's if I remember from my airbrake class. Someone must have put them on 30 years ago, that's probably why they look like original.

I could be wrong, Bendix, got a patent for the spring brake in like 1973ish

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Yes ive had a single axle dump truck of some kind sence i was 19 and its handier than a shirt pocket. Id be lost with out one

Ok that was my thought that there was no such thing as spring brakes in the 50's. im guessing mine has a very early retro fit kit. And strangest thing to me at least is the park brake knob works backwards (push to apply, pull to release)

Ok well i got the truck outta the ladies yard this eve finally. Hoped it would just pull its self out but no such luck. Heavy mack+ soft yard+ highway tires on one side= no go. So after yanking hard with my one ton ford (only 2x4) the lady offered to try her 1/2 ton 4x4 chevy which luckly pulled it out. By this time it was getting dark and the light circut has a bad short and the headlight wires are cut so i had no lights so i drove her a few miles to a buddys house till thursday. First time with the two sticks (that you have to use both) and i didnt do to bad. Will post some more pics and video links on thursday. Also my spring brake valve is hooked up right its just made backwards. Also took inventory of some of my spare parts and i have a extra set of hoods with b67 emblems and a set with b42 emblems. So if any body needs either just let me know

We have a 1964 B421, its has a factory air parking brake in the dash. nothing like a single axle B dump. thinkin of makin one myself with a truck and box I have,. just gonna try to convince the DMV to put historic plates on it and ill be a good boy and not use it to make money.

They give you trouble putting antique trucks on the road there?