KW 4 door

BAD DOG

Al,do you remember any of the specs on that KW? just curious as that looks like a Spicer 14 or 16 speed trans,i liked the one I drove a lot,never saw or drove another one since!.................Mark

No,sorry Mark.Didn't get the specs off of it.Sure does look like the old 14 speed, though.Had an Air 4X4 in my KW when I got it,but 4th gear had a problem. Economics and availability forced me to replace it with a newly rebuilt RTO-12513.Stilll have the Spicer in storage.Rebuilt the shift knob(leaked a lot-thought it was the problem).It shifted great until 4th.......UUUGHHH! Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Tanker from my old FD just north of NYC in Westchester County. Cummins N14 500hp. 1500gpm hale pump, 3600gal water, full engine company equipment, 1000+ ft of 5 in supply line. Photo taken by my buddy J.T. Camp (Ossining FD)

109.JPG

Edited by General Ike
  • Like 2

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

WoW! That is a BIG rig.

Just the weight of the water in the 3600 gal. tank is close to 30,000 lbs!

Yup. A hair over 30k in water. It is nicknamed the Queen Mary by some. Replaced a two of a kind 1958 tandem axle B95 with enclosed 5 man sedan cab and 1500 gal tank that I featured pics of a few months back along with my B85 from the other department I was active in.

The KW is a great driving piece of fire apparatus and even with its length has a good crimp angle so it's more maneuverable than one would think in proper hands. It's only fault is the air assist auto trans. If you wait for it to downshift you'll bog the motor on big hills. There is a trick to getting out of the throttle early and manually selecting the lower gear and right before the the air assist will effect the shift the tranny will freewheel for a fraction of a second. If you learn to time this right you can blip the throttle to match the downshift and the turbo is already spooling up. Minimal loss of speed and keeps the motor in its sweet spot.

That's probably more than ya'll wanted to know.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

That's probably more than ya'll wanted to know.

No such thing as too much info on BMT (okay there have been a few exceptions that I'd rather not discuss).

Is there any way to adjust the shift points on your KW? I thought it was possible to make adjustments in the computer to suit the owner's preferences.

Jim

No,sorry Mark.Didn't get the specs off of it.Sure does look like the old 14 speed, though.Had an Air 4X4 in my KW when I got it,but 4th gear had a problem. Economics and availability forced me to replace it with a newly rebuilt RTO-12513.Stilll have the Spicer in storage.Rebuilt the shift knob(leaked a lot-thought it was the problem).It shifted great until 4th.......UUUGHHH! Al

LOL! My Dad had a friend with an OLD cabover White Freightliner leased to RDS trucking in Vineland N.J. for years,we were visiting his shop once,and he must have had 25-30 4X4 trans.laying around! along with some married boxes,2 or 3 6X4's too if I had only knew back then! LOL!...............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

LOL! My Dad had a friend with an OLD cabover White Freightliner leased to RDS trucking in Vineland N.J. for years,we were visiting his shop once,and he must have had 25-30 4X4 trans.laying around! along with some married boxes,2 or 3 6X4's too if I had only knew back then! LOL!...............................Mark

No kiddin',Mark!! It was a cool concept- only4 lever shifts.I guess a big problem was Spicer's sliding clutches.Much more finicky than Fuller's.Didn't take too many "gear jammings" to turn it to junk!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

hauling crews to a job site with a trailer of equipment in tow. Good for construction companys. I was thinking its would be good for us as a car dealer to hook up a 6 car trailer, have 4-5 guys loaded into that thing, decend on the auto auctions, and buy up a bunch of cars. Then load 6 on the trailer, and the other 4 guys drive the rest back.

hauling crews to a job site with a trailer of equipment in tow. Good for construction companys. I was thinking its would be good for us as a car dealer to hook up a 6 car trailer, have 4-5 guys loaded into that thing, decend on the auto auctions, and buy up a bunch of cars. Then load 6 on the trailer, and the other 4 guys drive the rest back.

Hey JT...stretch that bad boy General and make a 4 door.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"