Stoops Express C.O.E.'s with 15" drive wheels?

39 Baby Mack

Anybody have any pictures of the old Stoops Express C.O.E., I think they were international 9670's, tractors with the 15" drive wheels.

I remember they were converted by a company in Carlisle, PA

They pulled almost straight frame 13'6" high trailers with 15" wheels.

I believe they were used in the auto industry hauling extra large parts, frame assemblies, to assembly lines.

Ron

I have no pics but you're right about them being used to haul auto parts. Schneider had some IH cabovers and Swift had quite a few Freightliner FLD's and Columbias spec'd that way.

Stoops is also Freightliner dealer and that's the only brand tractor I remember them running, but it's been awhile.

Jim

I couldn't remember what make they were for sure.

They sure were an odd sight, first time I ever saw one on the road I took a double take!

As a matter of fact the first time I saw one I was with my brother in the "ED" just south of West Chester

we were heading south he was heading north so we didn't get a real good look at it. But we looked at each other and said did that thing have 15" wheels on the back of it?

Then one saturday morning one of our drivers stopped in to visit at the shop and said there's one of them Stoops trucks with little wheels on it up

at Truck Maintenance (a truck repair garage around the corner from our place).

Needless to say our driver, my brother Tom, and I all got in my car and went to see it up close.

After looking all around the back end of it and using all the familiar expletives that one would use upon seeing such a thing I noticed the Trucking for Jesus license plate on the front of it

and the marker lights in grille in the shape of a cross.

I made my apologies to the driver and I can remember him saying that I didn't have to apologize to him meaning that I should apologize to the man above.

It had special 15" Erie spoke drive wheels with low pro 17.5" tires. the pumpkins didn't look like they were more than a couple of inches off the ground!

Driver said it ran 65 or 70 M.P.H., can't imagine what the rear ratios' were!!

I can't remember for sure but I think even the slack adjusters were modified?

It had a fabricated frame with quite a big step behind the cab to accommodate the lowered drive train.

I remember seeing the one's Schneider and Swift had too but I think they were on 17" wheels (19.5" tubeless) and were all the way around not just on the drives.

Same size you see on a lot of car carriers today?

Ron

When are they going to put you in a "CX"?

Im pretty sure the whole idea was, like Jim mentioned above, was to increase the cubes in the trailer.

These Stoop trucks I am talking about didn't have 19.5"s all the way around.

They didn't have 19.5"s at all.

They had 17.5's on 15" dayton style drive wheels made by the Erie Wheel Co. (had to be custom made for this application)

The front wheels on the tractor were the normal 20" size (10.00x20 or 11R22.5)

The wheels on the trailer were the same size as the ones on the rear of the tractor which made for a very large cube box!

I think, if memory serves me, the trailer did have some sort of drop frame to it maybe 2 inches?

They wanted everything out of it, height wise, that they could get.

Ron

When are they going to put you in a "CX"?

"IDK" :idunno: 2013 purchases are done.

I've never seen a Stoop's truck with the small tires and figured they were the same size what the others had. They were ugly with the 19.5's I can't imagine what a 15's would look like.

I thought Schneider only ran them on the drives with the standard lo-pro 22's on the steers. I'm sure there are pics of those floating around the web.

The trailers were hi-cube with a much taller inside height. They were step decks but even the nose section was taller than the traditional trailer.

Jim

Believe it or not I couldn't find any pictures either! I remember seeing those too,and wondered what they were used for,i know Swift had some truck-trailer combinations with small tires that were used to deliver automobiles themselves. Pretty sure Ruan leasing had some "Maxi-Cube" IH C.O.Es too.Ron,do you remember who made those 3 axle (single tired) moving vans,the ones that were supposed to double your cube! LOL! and eliminate the fender wells (like on a double drop) I couldn't find any pictures of those either,pretty sure they were Matlocks,maybe Kentuckys?.....................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

For several years there were 2 or 3 White COE's with the cut frame and 15" wheels sitting on a property that was a closed lumber yard that was some how associated with FT Wayne Vehicle Auction. I never took pic's of them and I don't know what happened to them. They had some of the trailers too.

Believe it or not I couldn't find any pictures either! I remember seeing those too,and wondered what they were used for,i know Swift had some truck-trailer combinations with small tires that were used to deliver automobiles themselves. Pretty sure Ruan leasing had some "Maxi-Cube" IH C.O.Es too.Ron,do you remember who made those 3 axle (single tired) moving vans,the ones that were supposed to double your cube! LOL! and eliminate the fender wells (like on a double drop) I couldn't find any pictures of those either,pretty sure they were Matlocks,maybe Kentuckys?.....................................Mark

I remember the trailers you're talking about Mark,

I can't remember the make for sure either but looked like as you said either Matlocks or Kentuckys.

Ron

• 2 years later...