Reading WWII air show

mack mhe9

Cool, B17 Memphis Belle will be here in Smyrna TN in a week you can pay to take a ride it helps support the operations.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

The planes were flying over the house today while I was working in the yard. I love the sound of them as they go over. I can only think of how threatening that sound would have been to our enemies when the drone of a squadron of them was on the way for the mission.

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

Yea these are good photos. I like the aircraft. The bi-planes with two wings are the Stearman Pt-17 Kadets. They called them the washing machines because of the many want to be pilots that washed out of pilot school trying to learn how to fly. These were your basic trainer planes and would top out at 100 kts. I had the pleasure of flying one like the blue airframe with yellow wings near St.Louis, Mo. in 2001. It was fun but when making sharp turns with it, the airspeed would fall off very fast then have to level the wings and let it gain the lost airspeed. It is a very fun plane to fly but you have to fly it at all times even on the ground.

Also I had the pleasure of flying a P-51 D Mustang at Falcon Field near Atlanta, Ga. in May of 2005. You can find it listed on the Commemorative Air Force web site in Atlanta as Ole Red Nose. It was used as a trainer but not listed as a full trainer by being a T-51 Mustang. It is mostly all original except it has no gun sites. Most of the Mustangs today do not have the original gun sites. You are strapped in a parachute first then the seat belt, 5 point harness. If you want to fly it then you are checked out on the few instruments, stick and rudder pedals throttle with push button talk switch. To make a long story shorter it has soooooomuch power that you feel like you can concquer any flying task. At startup it sounds like a 6 cylinder engine but at takeoff it comes alive and is deafening. As you wait for the tail to come up so you can see over the long nose you watch you manifold pressure to keep it below 40inches so it want do a ground loop. As all pilots you love this airplane at first site and it will show you some great pleasures but it can kick your butt at a moments notice if you don't watch out at all times. I got to do 90 degree turns, saw and felt what it was like to do a 320 mph in a high speed dive below the trees at a small airport. It does the dives in short order. It is incredibly fast and i'll never forget that day. I can now see it was a great aircraft for our military pilots.

mike

For any of you interested in military aircraft... if you are out West, take any opportunity to visit the museum at Hill Airforce Base (about 20 miles north of Salt Lake City.) A very cool place, free admission, donation box contribution recommended. They have one of nearly every airplane the military ever used. From early biplanes, Mustang, Corsair, Warhawk, B17, early jet fighters, modern jet fighters, MAT planes, helicopters, a SR71 Blackbird, jap zero. Truly an amazing collection. I don't think you would be disappointed.

I am into pretty much anything big or powerful, thats why I like Superliners with E9's, I have been to a lot of Museums and seen a lot of planes and the best air museum I have ever been to is The Museum of the Air Force in Dayton OH, there are so many planes indoors from all eras it would take you two days to spend 5 minutes staring at them all. Oh and the large Bomber formations had to scare the crap out of shell shocked Germans and Japenese during WWII, then it was the sound of the Sandy's and B52's in Vietnam, and today the scariest sounds on the battlefield is that of an A10, they have an ominous howling turbofan and a pair of A-10's can destroy ANYTHING in thier AO with almost 0 worries of any threats taking them out. I have heard some of those A10's and the sound of that 30mm GAU8 cann on is crazy, you can hear it speeding up at the beginning of the burst, of course whatever they are shooting it at is dead long before they hear it.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Big freakin gun, the 30mm 6,690gn depleted uranium armor piercing incindiery rounds can punch a hole thru any armor on the battlefield and have the explosive power of a frag grenade, oh and they are fired at over 3,000fps at a rate of 62rds per second.

post-5240-0-83175300-1370818759.jpg

post-5240-0-56480000-1370818895_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Yes I've heard that is a great museum too. Interesting gear-head trip is to visit Bonneville Salts Flats during Speed Week in August and see the Museum while in the area. Admission to the salt flats is only $10. No reservations, no grandstands, free to roam and access to everything. You can stand right there at the starting line while some of the most powerful cars and trucks in the world go for it.

To check out Bonnevile: www.scta-bni.org

when I was a kid my father and I got to ride on the fuddy duddy ( b-17) . we got to sit were the front gunner and bombadier would sit...... fun ride.

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

We have an air show every year here. several times them A-10's were part of the show.

As 84 said, hearing that engine whine makes ya wanna pee yer pants. And they are on OUR side

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I first saw and heard the Worthog in 1982 at Myrtle Beach, SC. A very impressive machine no doubt. I'm a prop engine enthusiest and liked the Vietnam Era SkyRaider with it's Wright Cyclone R2800. It could get down closer to the ground and slower than the jets. It was an impressive machine also. The Worthog took it's place with jet engines.

mike

Mike see if you can look up the September 2012 Smithsonian Air and Space magazine,there's an article about the "Sandy's" close air support mission in both the Skyraider and the warthog. They are both excellent airframes and both do the job well but since the A10 was designed for that mission it is more survivable, A10's have brought their pilots home on one engine with no hydraulics and half the tail missing and belly landed to be put back in service a couple months later and go out again.

Several years ago I was standing in my backyard when I heard jets flying overhead. I looked up and saw several A-10s flying in formation. There are none stationed around here but I thought that they

might be from Connecticut. A few minutes later I heard a thunderous sound that scared the daylights out of me. Suddenly, that flight of A-10s was screaming over my house almost at treetop level. It

was an amazing sight.

bulldogboy

Mike see if you can look up the September 2012 Smithsonian Air and Space magazine,there's an article about the "Sandy's" close air support mission in both the Skyraider and the warthog. They are both excellent airframes and both do the job well but since the A10 was designed for that mission it is more survivable, A10's have brought their pilots home on one engine with no hydraulics and half the tail missing and belly landed to be put back in service a couple months later and go out again.

Cannot doubt it at all. It followed the daddy into production. Better ideas always follows next. I still like prop planes best. The old P47 ThunderBolt was like that. Take a Lickin and Keep On Tickin. B-17 Fortress was that way also. Would have been different if the two I mentioned had liquid coolant and light structure.

mike

Ok guys, there may be a B29 flying around Pittsburgh PA from tomorrow thru Sunday. Look up the B29 known as FiFi online and on the CAF website they are scheduled for this week. Mike there will be a B 17 in Smyrna this weekend and July 2-6 FiFi the last flying B29 will be in Smyrna.