antique insurance question

OK it's been too long since I asked a stupid question-so here goes. Has anyone here tried to get insurance for an antique truck while you were still restoring it? Does Gulfway(or anyone else) understand this process? My problem is, I now have rearraged things here so I can get this truck into the shop most of the time,but, as soon as I back it out -so I can do other things ,its illegal without plates/insurance ,so I need to remedy that. The truck is perfectly fine "work truck quality"as it is,but its definately no show truck right now, it has cosmetic issues that I intend to fix and get it to "show" condition. I'm not sure how to value the truck for insurance purposes. To be honest, I'm not even worried about comprehensive at this time,altho it would be good to have some. I worry about how the ins. co. will look at my application- if I go too low they may think "we dont insure junk"-if I go the 20-25K route they may think me crazy by thier criteria. I dont know,I've never dealt with this type of insurance before. If anyone has any experience with such things how about giving me a little insight into the inner workings of an ins. cos. mind. Thanks alot-George

I have mine insured through JC Taylor (Upper Darby, Pa.) with a little bit more than the State of Pa. miniumum for liability. The truck is in "fair" condition, that is to say in pretty much original condition with some cosmetic work. I have it insured for a dollar value that is not obscene but not low-balled and certainly more than the scrap value.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

If you go with an antique vehicle insurer they will most likely allow you to get "stated value" insurance for your truck as long as your valuation is reasonable to the underwriter. Both of my rigs are insured through JC Taylor and are insured for what I told them I believed to be fair market value.

Call JC Taylor and ask them. I have found that they have always been easy to deal with.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I have Grundy for my cars. My Firebird is in the process of restoration and I added it to my policy a couple years ago at $10,000 in primer no interior and no motor or transmission. I got my new policy and now they put me at $17,000 of value and the car hasn't changed. They just kept upping my value on their own, which I am not going to complain. Agreed value they will work with on you since you can insure it for what you have invested into it.

I saw a show on tv that had an antique/hot rod insurance agent on it. He highly recomended having insurance on project vehicles. The theory is that the truck has a value as do all the parts you put in it to upgrade it and you should be covered in case something bad happens even if its torn apart. I don't remember what company it was. I use Gullfway 727-863-5451. They requre photos of your vehicle. For most of my trucks I told them they were valued in the $5,000 range. They have never questioned the value and/or called my trucks junk.

thanks guys. I hear that JC Taylor is no longer writing policies for antique"big trucks" but I will try anyway. I dont know about Grundy. I have an app from Gulfway here,just was nervous about how to proceed,the woman on the phone wasnt lookin to have any conversation,just get my email and send out the forms. As I said in the OP,not sure how the ins.cos. look at such things...one would assume that as long as you're paying premiums and not making claims they would love ya, as most ins.cos. do. :)

• 1 month later...

I added a 1962 Brockway 257 to my JC Taylor policy last week with not problem. I switched all of my vehicles to them a year or two ago. I had had two project trucks insured with Condon and Skelly before they stopped accepting antique big trucks and they switched over to JC Taylor with the rest of them. Mike

They may not be taking new clients but will add the vehicles of existing clients. Try Parrish-Haycock I previously used them for my B85F and for my race car. Several family classics and race cars still insured by them.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

i have my B model and my cousin and I have our trucks insured with American Collectors Insurance out of Cherry hill Nj. very easy to deal with and reasonable and you can actually talk to them. around $152 a year per truck I think all depends on value tho. think I have mine insured for 20 grand. 1800 360 2277 is their number

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

my cousin called the other day American Collectors insurance and I guess they are no longer doing big truck..... this sounds all too familiar. they might add a truck to an existing policy tho, who knows. depends on who you talk to there probably. some people don't know their jobs

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg