Those magnificent Aussie International TranStar 4670s

kscarbel

• 3 weeks later...

4670 or 4870?

The trucks shown above are International 4670s.

The 4870 was a COE, a version of the legendary designed-in-Australia-for-Australia International Harvester "Acco", and was sold by International under the Seddon Atkinson brand (International having bought the English truckmaker in 1974) from 1980 thru 1989. It was assembled at International's Dandenong plant in Victoria, Australia.

The 4870 version of the Acco cab was wider, and had an engine hump instead of a flat floor.

Initially this truck was sold in two version, the International-branded "T-Line" for the fleets, and the higher spec Seddon Atkinson-branded versions which had more drivetrain options.

post-5381-0-76348700-1368343045_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-30551100-1368343057_thumb.jp

Seddon Atkinson (International Harvester) F4870 spec sheet.pdf

• Like 1

The 4870 was replaced by the International TurboStar, which is NOT to be confused with the International Turbostar. Confused?

Iveco purchased International Trucks Australia in 1992. Iveco being an unknown name down under, was allowed under the sale agreement to continue using the International name for 10 years in Australia/New Zealand. After the 1992 purchase, it was known as International Iveco Trucks Australia, and from 2001 as Iveco Trucks Australia.

So the 4870 replacement, the International TurboStar, was a rebadged Iveco TurboStar.

And as for the other Turbostar, that was a turbine-powered unit introduced by International Harvester in 1968 with a 300hp B-series Solar gas turbine.

Solar Turbines, now Caterpillar subsidiary, was a division of International Harvester from 1960 to 1981 (http://mysolar.cat.com/cda/layout?m=35503&x=7).

International has tested a turbine-fitted Emeryville as well.

International Iveco TurboStar.jpg

International Turbostar.jpg

International Turbostar...jpg

International Turbostar..jpg

image 1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

That's a real nice International, an Australian classic.

But speaking of your load, I've never understood why Toyota doesn't sell the 70 Series Land Cruisers in the U.S. market. They're simple, rugged and significantly more affordable that the completely different 200 series Land Cruisers (and sister Lexus LX570) that Americans are familiar with.

The 70 series Land Cruisers would pacify all those Americans who wish they could go out and buy a new Toyota FJ40 2-door hardtop, FJ40 pickup and FJ55 4-door station wagon.

The 70 Series actually was the replacement for the 40 Series.

But speaking of your load, I've never understood why Toyota doesn't sell the 70 Series Land Cruisers in the U.S. market. They're simple, rugged and significantly more affordable that the completely different 200 series Land Cruisers (and sister Lexus LX570) that Americans are familiar with.

The 70 series Land Cruisers would pacify all those Americans who wish they could go out and buy a new Toyota FJ40 2-door hardtop, FJ40 pickup and FJ55 4-door station wagon.

I agree especially with the diesel.

• 4 years later...
On 5/12/2013 at 3:16 AM, kscarbel said:

The trucks shown above are International 4670s.

The 4870 was a COE, a version of the legendary designed-in-Australia-for-Australia International Harvester "Acco", and was sold by International under the Seddon Atkinson brand (International having bought the English truckmaker in 1974) from 1980 thru 1989. It was assembled at International's Dandenong plant in Victoria, Australia.

The 4870 version of the Acco cab was wider, and had an engine hump instead of a flat floor.

Initially this truck was sold in two version, the International-branded "T-Line" for the fleets, and the higher spec Seddon Atkinson-branded versions which had more drivetrain options.

post-5381-0-76348700-1368343045_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-30551100-1368343057_thumb.jp

Seddon Atkinson (International Harvester) F4870 spec sheet.pdf

1968 International Atkinson 4870

https://www.bigrigs.com.au/news/transformed-into-a-tsunami/3300641/

On 5/29/2013 at 8:19 AM, kscarbel said:

The 70 Series actually was the replacement for the 40 Series.

Yes so true. Good looking those Australian Internationals

• 2 weeks later...

WS 721 you are looking at a different truck! I'm referring to the silver Gray coe pulling the set of pups, also is shown in a black and white photo! Thunderbird Frt lines! I've driven several 9670s I'm not too old to remember what they look like!

On 12/31/2017 at 2:11 PM, Maxidyne said:

IIRC that's a 4000/4070 cab on the turbine truck.

3 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

I agree with maxidyne.   It's one of our "transtar" cabs.

lll go 3 for 3. The 4070 is what l learnt to drive trailer on in 1972. Had a shinny 290 with a 10 spd RR. We delivered paper potato bags from Pepperell Ma to Riverhead LI NY and surrounding towns. Thank you Eddie for your time and patience.   .....Hippy 

6 hours ago, BillyT said:

WS 721 you are looking at a different truck! I'm referring to the silver Gray coe pulling the set of pups, also is shown in a black and white photo! Thunderbird Frt lines! I've driven several 9670s I'm not too old to remember what they look like!

Ok. Now I see the pic your talking about.  That would be a cool Transtar to have in the collection

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!