U series question

post-10557-0-23645200-1366804216.jpgCan anyone tell me what the large frame mounted cylinder located just behind the radiator on the passenger side is? a lot of U models seem to have this so I've included it in the 1:25 scale model I'm building but I don't know what it is or what it should connect to.

id say its an after market fuel heater controled by the cab heater when the driver turns up the heat control the warmwater will pass thru the heater either before or after the heater core when the driver isnt using the heat the water doesnt flow or cause much warming and in the summer we used to manually turn off the water to the cab so 4 lines water in & out fuel in & out ive seen them in alot of different shapes and sizes hope this helps you

Sorry for the sideways picture. But here's a picture of the passenger side of the motor on my U685ST.

I think my picture must have been misleading. It's the large cylinder I was interseted in and you can just see the edge of it in your picture. Most of the pictures of U models I have seen seem to have it.

Also, here's a picture of my completed cab.

Thanks for all the replies, serious and humorous.

post-10557-0-60173800-1366977912_thumb.j

post-10557-0-34382000-1366977943_thumb.j

• Like 1

Chose Tucker out of South Bend, IN for your scale model's company, I like that.

Someone with more knowledge than I can chime in here but I believe that is the oil reservoir for the power steering. I'm not sure as my B Model does not have power steering and doesn't have such a reservoir.

I think my picture must have been misleading. It's the large cylinder I was interseted in and you can just see the edge of it in your picture. Most of the pictures of U models I have seen seem to have it.

Ohhh yes that is the power steering reservoir. Your model is looking really good, Can you post progress pictures of it? Id love to see it.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Chose Tucker out of South Bend, IN for your scale model's company, I like that.

Someone with more knowledge than I can chime in here but I believe that is the oil reservoir for the power steering. I'm not sure as my B Model does not have power steering and doesn't have such a reservoir.

I like the colours, Green and orange, and I came across a picture of a beaten up U on the net in Tucker colours. Looks like they ran a lot of different trucks so I don't know how many U models they had but the model will be loosely based on the one I saw.

There are some codes on the door below the Tucker Insignia but I can't find a close enough shot to read them so I may have to invent them. I'm guessing that Tucker would have codes for Indiana and neighbouring states?

Thanks for your input.

Ohhh yes that is the power steering reservoir. Your model is looking really good, Can you post progress pictures of it? Id love to see it.

Thanks. I don't think my model frame has power steering so I may have to add it in.

I should have it finished in a few weeks so I'll attach a few shots then.

• Like 1

holy maceral,,,,that cab looks like a real one,,nice work,,babba...bob

I like the colours, Green and orange, and I came across a picture of a beaten up U on the net in Tucker colours. Looks like they ran a lot of different trucks so I don't know how many U models they had but the model will be loosely based on the one I saw.

There are some codes on the door below the Tucker Insignia but I can't find a close enough shot to read them so I may have to invent them. I'm guessing that Tucker would have codes for Indiana and neighbouring states?

Thanks for your input.

I don't have any pictures of Tucker equipment as Tucker closed their operation on the Friday prior to me starting to work at Brothers Express (I started the following Monday). Brothers Express at the time was a cartage agent in Ft Wayne and we did the local P & D for Tucker. I just checked through my memorabilia and have nothing that has Tucker's operating authorities on it....

I don't have any pictures of Tucker equipment as Tucker closed their operation on the Friday prior to me starting to work at Brothers Express (I started the following Monday). Brothers Express at the time was a cartage agent in Ft Wayne and we did the local P & D for Tucker. I just checked through my memorabilia and have nothing that has Tucker's operating authorities on it....

Thanks for looking for me. There doesn't seem to be much on the net so I may just hold off for as long as I can and invent them if I can't find any concrete info in the meantime.

You might contact ATHS HQ in Kansas CIty.Bryan Webster wrote a story about Tucker for the May/June 2011 issue of Wheels of TIme. there are no pictures of trucks with the info that you seek but perhaps Mr. Webster has more info on the company than was printed in the article.