GMC General at abandoned house

JTFormula

:SMOKIE-RT:

You're right-I hadn't read it through before throwing my comment in. My bad. I did read the rest afterwards,very interesting story,as I've been through similar stuff. I also saw the four video clips-Very good stuff. Have you had a chance to motor it around a bit yourself? Learning a new-to-you truck is the fun part. I REALLY LOVE the sound of that beast! From the videos it looks like it even rides pretty nice. I know I didn't say it earlier,CONGRATULATIONS on getting a nice truck,right outta the gate. You really can't go wrong with the people on this forum ready to help and coach you through the big truck stuff. BTW-The comment about locating the owner by loading it up was just kidding around,although there's a grain of truth in it. Sorta like trying to find the owner of property-if you open a gate and let yourself in,the owner usually finds you. Sometimes sets the wrong tone for negotiations,but at least you know WHO you'll be dealing with. LOL Anyway,be sure to keep doing videos-it's good to see you enjoying the truck. (Or NOT enjoying it in some cases,probably.) Have a Merry Christmas!

Speed

:SMOKIE-LFT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Viewed all 17 pages, very interesting, ( Wife and kids in KY, I had to work today and tomorrow) . I drove three different GMC ( with DD) over the years, best advice an old boss gave me on shifting was to keep one foot on the fuel and one on the brake and give her hell. A problem I have run into a few times with the DD is they will suck oil through the air compressor and run off with you and if one does run off while driving pull the emergency stop, kill the switch, put into HIGH gear, lay on the brakes and hit the ditch, and clean out your underwear. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR.

• 4 weeks later...

****UPDATE!****

Big news today. I picked up the General from Dynamic Diesel tonight and drove it back to my shop. She is 95% road ready. I just have to replace the steer axle tires. They have some dry rot setting in. I'd rather play it safe. Good for around town but not long distance.

So it runs damn good. I got up to 9th gear but never got to switch into overdrive gears. Wasn't quite sure what to do when slowing down and the right way to downshift back out of OD into direct then low. I was told not to go into low unless I am under 5mph or stopped. The max speed on the roads I was on was 45mph so it wasnt nessecary. Actually did well with the shifting. First mile was a disaster but then i started to understand the right rpm, and get my timing on the double clutch better. Some grinding but was able to go from low to direct without issues. I just have to get out and do some more practicing.

I didn't bring my GoPro so a new video will be coming soon, just not this week.

• Like 1

:SMOKIE-RT:

Glad to hear you got your ride back. I know what you mean with getting good at shifting. On my little '54 GMC 2 Ton,I'm just now getting the hang of shifting my 5 & 3. I'm still pretty slow,and it's a shift I need to do a couple of times up through the gears,and a couple coming back down. It'll help a lot when I get steer axle tires and a toe-in adjustment,so I can let go of the wheel for a second to shift both boxes at once. (The "reach through the wheel" trick doesn't work-the sticks are too far away to reach.)

Well,have fun practicing! :twothumbsup:

Speed

:SMOKIE-LFT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Just remember with the older 13 spds you don't want to shift the splitter and the lever at the same time when shifting up. You get caught in "double neutral". It's ok to do when down shifting. You will do it a few times then you will decide its not worth stopping to start over at the bottom

• Like 1

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

Just remember with the older 13 spds you don't want to shift the splitter and the lever at the same time when shifting up. You get caught in "double neutral". It's ok to do when down shifting. You will do it a few times then you will decide its not worth stopping to start over at the bottom

Been there done that. Pulled my friggen hair out.

****UPDATE!****

Big news today. I picked up the General from Dynamic Diesel tonight and drove it back to my shop. She is 95% road ready. I just have to replace the steer axle tires. They have some dry rot setting in. I'd rather play it safe. Good for around town but not long distance.

So it runs damn good. I got up to 9th gear but never got to switch into overdrive gears. Wasn't quite sure what to do when slowing down and the right way to downshift back out of OD into direct then low. I was told not to go into low unless I am under 5mph or stopped. The max speed on the roads I was on was 45mph so it wasnt nessecary. Actually did well with the shifting. First mile was a disaster but then i started to understand the right rpm, and get my timing on the double clutch better. Some grinding but was able to go from low to direct without issues. I just have to get out and do some more practicing.

I didn't bring my GoPro so a new video will be coming soon, just not this week.

The main thing with a 13 is to move the splitter button while you're still on the throttle, upshifting or down shifting. Then you won't ever get that "zzzzzzzzzttt..." sound and you're in nothing. When you're slowing to downshift, even if you're coasting, get back on the throttle before you move the button from OD to direct, then let off the throttle and get back on it and it will downshift as soon as you get back on the throttle.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Thanks for the advice guys. I haven't tried the splitter at all yet. Hopefully when this snow disappears I'll take it out in the industrial complex and do some more practice. Also waiting on my insurance cards to arrive. I don't know what happened to them.

That's cool OD. I had seen two General dumps locally. One doing work on RT 9 in Old Bridge NJ, the other was around the corner from my shop in Lakewood. There is an 86 General on a towing site for sale I've been checking out

http://tow411.yuku.com/topic/123162/Price-Reduced-winter-Make-offer-1986-GMC-General-25#.UvGppny9KK0

I found two 5th wheel wrecker units on Craigslist I would love to get for it. Great way to make it useful. I can do some scrapping to make it pay for itself.

• 2 weeks later...

JT, its been great reading through your progress.

Ive got a soft spot for Generals. Got my CDL when I turned 18 and got in the General dump truck and drove it for about 3 years. Learned alot of what to do, and now that I look back on it, a lot of not what to do. Mine has a 400 Big Cam/13 spd.

Hope to have the funds to fix her up one day soon!

Bryant Construction Inc.

06 KW T800 Dump

85 GMC General Dump

73 Dodge C800 Single Axle

Middle Tennessee ATHS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

post-11944-0-55785800-1401577868_thumb.j

post-11944-0-99688400-1401577917_thumb.j

With Macungie coming in two weeks I figured I need to get more seat time. Still haven't mastered the 13 speed yet plus I want to get some miles under these tires before driving 2.5 hours. Yesterday I left my shop and was going to stop at Wawa for lunch. On the way I stopped for fuel first since the last fuel I put in was about 10 gallons a year ago. I put in $100 then pulled out of the Hess station made it 1/4 mile and the General lost power. I managed to get it off the road with my foot to the floor doing 1 mph before it completely died out. I called my shop and had the kid Don bring my pick up and my tow strap so I could get it out of the way since I was in the middle of the lot.

I bought two new fuel filters even though these have only 8 miles on them. I filled them with fuel and installed them. Cranked it over and nothing. Just spun. I suspect a bad fuel pump. I was only 2 miles from my shop.

Today I had no choice but to get it hooked and drag it back to my shop. My diesel mechanic it going to take a look at it later this week. Unfortunately, I am not going to make the show with it. My wife and I are still going, just not with the General. A bit disappointing.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

With Macungie coming in two weeks I figured I need to get more seat time. Still haven't mastered the 13 speed yet plus I want to get some miles under these tires before driving 2.5 hours. Yesterday I left my shop and was going to stop at Wawa for lunch. On the way I stopped for fuel first since the last fuel I put in was about 10 gallons a year ago. I put in $100 then pulled out of the Hess station made it 1/4 mile and the General lost power. I managed to get it off the road with my foot to the floor doing 1 mph before it completely died out. I called my shop and had the kid Don bring my pick up and my tow strap so I could get it out of the way since I was in the middle of the lot.

I bought two new fuel filters even though these have only 8 miles on them. I filled them with fuel and installed them. Cranked it over and nothing. Just spun. I suspect a bad fuel pump. I was only 2 miles from my shop.

Today I had no choice but to get it hooked and drag it back to my shop. My diesel mechanic it going to take a look at it later this week. Unfortunately, I am not going to make the show with it. My wife and I are still going, just not with the General. A bit disappointing.

Well that sucks the big one. Sorry to hear you had to get a lift on the hook. also not going to Macungie

• Like 2