GMC General at abandoned house

JTFormula

Bobby use to have a 97 Freightliner and sold it when his daughter was born 8 years ago and got out of the trunking thing. Between fuel going over $2 a gallon and brokers not adding fuel surcharges and toll hikes, he decided he would rather see his girl grow up.

The clutch brake is shot. I've adjusted it several times. I think its just spent. Not being familier with the truck it was hard to find that sweet spot to get it into gear without grinding even with double clutching. Between driving it to my shop from the house I got it at and this run, its the first time he has been in a big truck since he has been out of the game. It felt good running the ol girl for a drive after sitting all those years, even though it was just an 8 mile run. Its really only gone 5 miles when I first bought it to the shop about 4 months ago and this was the second time out on the streets. Nice thing was the oil stopped leaking from the drip tubes by the time we got to the shop.

I used glass cleaner on the dash then hit it some detail spray. The floor I didn't touch until a couple days ago. Removed all the garbage and swept it out. Made a big difference. When I get it back from the shop I am going to hit it with some AP cleaner and a scrub brush. She's coming along slowly.

• Like 1

One thing I forgot to point out. Every time I turn around and start laughing, the road behind us is completely covered in thick smoke like driving through a cloud. My wife was following in my Ram. The general is a smoker!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ok heres a little status update on the ol' General. It is done at the repair shop but its still sitting there while I am getting my Historic plates so I can drive it. Since my shop is a little overflowing with cars right now, free storage is always a good thing for the month. I went to Massachusetts and picked up the hood in October. Probably after the new year I will have the body guy take care of the one crack in the fiberglass on the new hood then paint it. I am going to polish the stainless in the mean time and get the emblems rechromed. Money has been a little tight the last two months so I've had to hold off on extra curricular activities.

post-11944-0-51907700-1384820275_thumb.j

post-11944-0-50707000-1384820276_thumb.j

The hood on my truck is chewed up on the part that hits the cowl area on the cab. Years of misaligned stops battered the rear tabs of the hood. With the stainless strips missing on the top as well it was easier/cheaper to buy the new hood then have someone fix the fiberglass and replace the missing stainless trim.

JT - if we have bad mosquitoes this year, we'll need you to drive out and do a few full-throttle take-offs in front of the house, that should take care of the problem. Brad

I use to drive a fumigator myself. Damn Ford ran on oil not gas

JT - if we have bad mosquitoes this year, we'll need you to drive out and do a few full-throttle take-offs in front of the house, that should take care of the problem. Brad

Behind my shop is a creek and we tend to have some flying pests. A daily fire up of the ol' girl and the pesky suckers never came by. I'll give BMT discounts for this service.

• 1 month later...

I spoke with the Paving co today. Really nice guy and I was surprised he called. They sold the truck to the guy 8 years ago and a month after he passed away. He didn't have any contact Info for the family though but gave me a name to try to look up. He said its got a V8 Detroit that ran like a bear. Said that truck could run 110mph and even with 60k on a trailer it would do 70-75mph with ease. So I have one more piece to the puzzle but still not closer to contacting the owners.

:SMOKIE-RT:

One sure way to find the owner is to go out there and start pulling it onto a lowboy trailer. The owner will appear as if by MAGIC.

Speed

:SMOKIE-LFT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Speed and High Binder - I guess you guys didn't read all 17 pages. I bought the truck, have the title and its registered already. I also have 4 videos of it on YouTube. Links are somewhere in the tread here.