AUTOMATIC TO STANDARD

luigiestrada

Yup, T309 is a manual trans. Just drove one the other day. 7 years old and 600,000 and it's jumping out of 4th and 8th gear. If you meant you were going to swap in a T309, I think I'd find something else, personally. Your best overall bet would be just sell your truck and find one spec'd the way you want it, unless you had a wrecked donor truck you could rob parts off of, such as clutch pedal and linkage, floor board, bell housing, transmission mounts, driveshaft,etc.....

Jake

At work we had an '06 with an Eaton Ultrashit that no one wanted to drive because it was difficult to back up while trying to maintain enough rpm's to engage the clutch without having to go too fast. They eventually decided to swap it for a 9 speed Fuller and it took weeks for our shop to get it to run right. I believe it had something to do with the ECM not being able to recognize the new tranny.

Jim

T309 would probably work, but you might want a transmission with deeper reduction.

Why did they order Macks with auto transmission? For Unions, with female drivers. My dad lost an account because the females at a company couldn't drive dm Macks with six speeds . The company instead had to go back and useing Ford f600s with 460 gas engines with c6 transmissions and also had to buy d5 bulldozers to push these truck up an incline they had. The females complained and the union stepped in. btw the fords were only lasting a year and had to be multiplied times the number of Macks to move the amount of dirt that needed to be moved.

What's wrong with the automatic? An Allison would be my choice if I bought a new dump truck, they do much better off road, paving, milling anytime you needed steady low speed performance they are the ticket. I know someone will say its a girls truck and all I can say is try one of each and you'll see what I mean. If I was to buy an otr truck its completely opposite id go with a 13 or 18 manual, I do not like the centrifical clutch automated manuals at all. If you swap it id go with an 8LL they are plentiful and cheaper than a 309 or t310 which would be my Mack trans of choice for a dump. If you decide to swap you will need to have the ecm reflashed or replaced with one from a manual there are sensors it relies on forcertain engine parameters, the tcm will come out with the trans, then you get to change the motor mounts, speedo adapter, center floor panel, add a clutch pedal assembly and cable, drive shaft and that's just the beginning.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Automatic is the way to go I know alot of you dont wanna hear that but its just like when computers came out alot of u said u would never own one and look at us now its just the way of the future

About 10/11 years an Eaton Fuller rep was at my former job trying to convince my boss to order an auto,he swore up and down within a decade they would no longer produce a manual truck trans.(didn't go for the auto)I drove a truck with an Allison once,the boredom just about made me crazy.Not for me,just my opinion.

I drove an automatic maybe 15 years ago it sucked too but the new ones have no comparison Its like my friends say that they will never buy a mack because they are too hard of a ride and I asked they when was the last time they drove a mack and they tell me in 1985 it was a DM800 with 58 rears well mack does not ride like that anymore it alot more comfortable also I respect your opion

• Like 1

I drove an automatic maybe 15 years ago it sucked too but the new ones have no comparison Its like my friends say that they will never buy a mack because they are too hard of a ride and I asked they when was the last time they drove a mack and they tell me in 1985 it was a DM800 with 58 rears well mack does not ride like that anymore it alot more comfortable also I respect your opion

True,but the ride really depends on the truck.Short WB with 58's,your an inch shorter at the end of the day!Long WB with 44's isn't so bad.Back in the day most of the trucks here in the N.E were short and heavy!

Automatics have come a long way, almost 90% of refuse, concrete trucks, municipal trucks and buses are Allison automatics. I remember the first one we had in a bus it was a pos but now with a 3000series 5 spd they last the entire 15 year life of a 90 passenger 40' long school bus here, as long as you do the required maintenance that is. I know we change the external spin on trans filter every service and change the fluid and internal filters every other year and have 0 issues with MT643's and pts3000 series, the2500's are touchy they don't like that much weight (90 pass blue bird is around 34000 loaded). I am still not extremely impressed with the Mack/Volvo auto, the single countershaft is a fairly weak design and from what Staxx has told me when one thing goes the whole this is a boat anchor. I like the features of the M drive and the gear ratio steps are great with a low rpm high torque rise engine, I just think for longevity's sake I would stick with a manual OTR. That's also the reason I don't think an M drive will hold up to a heavy application like a dump truck, look at the internals compared to a T310 or 8LL its just not as strong. I was completely against automatics for years but the last few years have proved me wrong they are the way to go for an on/off road application and if those that always seem to have issues weren't beating them to death and running them to failure before doing maintenance they would last for them too. I have learned a lot watching the trucking industry in the last 10 years, lots has changed and if you are willing to try the new things most of the time they work out. The Industry spends millions in r&d for these products give em a shot, do your own research and go in with an open mind and you may be surprised what happens, I was

Ok off my soapbox for a while!

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"