Hendricksons

57 bcr

The Cooper-Jarrett Hendrickson's had Detroit V-12's and were probably the first use of them in a highway truck. There was an article about them in a Wheels Of Time magazine some years back.

Interestingly, Hendrickson did not use the DCO Emeryville high mount version of the cab, but the VCO low mount version raised to the high position. Notice the wheel cutouts and grill cutout of the VCO. The C-J trucks also still had the headlights in the VCO position in addition to the ones below.

• Like 1

This was quite a truck for its time,there was a story about it in Wheels Of Time awhile ago,can't remember which issue,the Matchbox Truck is a good collectable too,just getting VERY expensive these days! i'm glad i held on to the one i had as a kid!......................Mark

post-5836-0-12265500-1358978011.jpg

post-5836-0-43340500-1358978055_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

It appears that they used an International Fleetstar cab at this time, also used on IH pickups from 1969 to 1975. I would guess that Hendrickson would have began using the IH S-series/F-series cab in 1978 or 1979.

They didn't start using the S-series I H cab until the introduction of the VT-100 in the late '80's.They had stopped building their H- series trucks & tractors in the early '80's as far as I can tell.post-510-0-62368800-1358995089_thumb.jpgThe VT-100 was their re-entry into the class 8 field.post-510-0-74195800-1358993732_thumb.jpgpost-510-0-38208500-1358994410_thumb.jpg Hendrickson eventually sold their truck division to Valley Truck Parts of Grand Rapids,Mich. (can't remember the year).They renamed it HME (Hendrickson Mobile Equipment), and continued building and selling HME trucks until the late '90's.They currently still manufacture fire trucks,something the old Hendrickson Manufacturing always did.

• Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

This was quite a truck for its time,there was a story about it in Wheels Of Time awhile ago,can't remember which issue,the Matchbox Truck is a good collectable too,just getting VERY expensive these days! i'm glad i held on to the one i had as a kid!......................Mark

And ta think,..... all them thar years you been holdin out on us about that V12-71 you been hidin under your bed !!!

Ernie DS

• Like 2

I used to see that "Hank" mixer all the time.It belonged to Edwin Meyer & Son from Palatine,Ill. Is it still around,Trent?Last time I seen it was at a yard off the Skyway.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Speaking of v12's. How's that RS700L coming along Ernie?

OK, I'm thinkin about sending it off to someone to finish the cab and int. I just don't have the time! I've done all the drivetrain work and power washed her clean! I still have the Superliner to get ready for the season, all that needs is a power wash and frame paint and then it's off to the paint shop. The RL needs cab corners (I have a new set) and some dash wirein an stuff, ya know all that time stuff! But thanks for askin!

Ernie D

I used to see that "Hank" mixer all the time.It belonged to Edwin Meyer & Son from Palatine,Ill. Is it still around,Trent?Last time I seen it was at a yard off the Skyway.

Thats where I took those pics Al. it was in a truck junk yard on the south side just off the skyway...

OK, I'm thinkin about sending it off to someone to finish the cab and int. I just don't have the time! I've done all the drivetrain work and power washed her clean! I still have the Superliner to get ready for the season, all that needs is a power wash and frame paint and then it's off to the paint shop. The RL needs cab corners (I have a new set) and some dash wirein an stuff, ya know all that time stuff! But thanks for askin!

Ernie D

Good to hear.... keep us posted with pics of progress, its a rare truck and would love to see the restoration pics.

Peck Dean used to have a repair shop in town,he bought a '60's vintage Hedrickson to make into a wrecker,but it never got finished and ended up getting scrapped,but it was a pretty cool old truck,originally gas powered,but repowered with a 6-71,it had a RT915,4 speed Brownie and 3 speed rears.

Wayne Johnston in Mediapolis had a '50 something Hendrickson wrecker that was his main unit until he died,it had a RD450 gas in it,it got sold away from here and I lost track of it.

Mines got a lot of "highway miles" on it too! LOL!........................................Mark

.......Made alot of miles the first 2 days,I figured be home in a week if my luck held out this way.......... :loldude:

Seeing many of the Hendrickson's with the International R-model cab has me wondering how many other truck manufacturers used it. I've seen that cab on Diamond T's and Oshkosh trucks to. Were there any others? Seems to me that International used that cab on it's own trucks from 1950 (though I think it was called an L-model at that time) until 1971 or 1972 being last used on an M-model truck. Plus, it was used for 7 or 8 years on it's line of pickups too. Perhaps it was International's highest production cab ever built?

Seeing many of the Hendrickson's with the International R-model cab has me wondering how many other truck manufacturers used it. I've seen that cab on Diamond T's and Oshkosh trucks to. Were there any others? Seems to me that International used that cab on it's own trucks from 1950 (though I think it was called an L-model at that time) until 1971 or 1972 being last used on an M-model truck. Plus, it was used for 7 or 8 years on it's line of pickups too. Perhaps it was International's highest production cab ever built?

The "Comfo-Vision" cab was used on a ton of different trucks,Milaca. It probably was one of the most used cabs in the industry.How many other cabs could claim that?

Great pictures Al! i guess because their a "mid-west thing" i never knew there were so many variants of Hendricksons,i've never seen a lot of the types pictured,i sure like the paint/looks of this one!................................Mark

post-5836-0-11645100-1359488785.jpg

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Great pictures Al! i guess because their a "mid-west thing" i never knew there were so many variants of Hendricksons,i've never seen a lot of the types pictured,i sure like the paint/looks of this one!................................Mark

I'm not much for the color blue,Mark.But I agree,this one looks good!

The stars and stripes cabover is interesting with a small area for radiator cooling.

It also is features the offset hubs for the centerpoint steering set up as does the wrecker.

Thanks for sharing, Jim

No sweat,Jim.Glad you like 'em.