Hendricksons

57 bcr

OK guys,heres for the Hendrickson lovers out there.These won't be just Chicago Hendricksons (although they were built just outside, in Lyons),but Hendricksons in general. We're going to start off with a '48 Hendrickson that used the old K-model IH cab.attachicon.gifBuck's '48.jpg This one was the pride and joy of the late Gene "Buck" Buchanan whom we just lost a week ago today.This was an old Crystal Lake Trucking truck.I believe it has a 175 or 180hp CUMMINS in it.Originally a 5 X 3,the auxillary was missing when he got it,so it was just a straight 5 speed.The truck was sold to Dan Pegram of Lincoln,Il.,who now carries the torch as "Mr. Hendrickson" in the antique truck world.Dan has the largest collection of restored Hendricksons,I know of.

I wondered about this particular truck,i saw it for sale in Wheels of time sometime back,neat lookin' truck!.........................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I remember those Crystal Lake and Dundee Hendrickson tandem tractor dumps from the early 60's. I never took a liking to them because there were so many Celli Macks around.

I did like the black and yellow Dundee colors. Two of the sharpest dump tractors I ever saw from that time were a red and black Diamond-T 921RB and a red and black Mack B-61

for OK trucking. I think they must have been brand new at the time. Later on OK was a freight company using Mack F's and Louiville fords as I recall. :twothumbsup:

I remember those Crystal Lake and Dundee Hendrickson tandem tractor dumps from the early 60's. I never took a liking to them because there were so many Celli Macks around.

I did like the black and yellow Dundee colors. Two of the sharpest dump tractors I ever saw from that time were a red and black Diamond-T 921RB and a red and black Mack B-61

for OK trucking. I think they must have been brand new at the time. Later on OK was a freight company using Mack F's and Louiville fords as I recall. :twothumbsup:

Yes,I remember OK.When I was a kid, they were hauling freight.What color(s) were the Crystal Lake trucks,James? I work with 1 of the nephews from Crystal Lake.He doesn't talk too much about the "good old days"!. I didn't notice much more than the MACK's either,growing up! Do you remember Sunrise from Crystal Lake at all,or Terra Cotta?

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I wondered about this particular truck,i saw it for sale in Wheels of time sometime back,neat lookin' truck!.........................................Mark

Yeah,he put the old truck in there to see if he could get some response,since it was so rare.Dan had expressed interest in the past (and bought the extremley rare cabover from Buck),so they struck a deal.They were buds,so it was good mutual deal! It went to a good home.

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

BCR All of the Crystal Lake Hendricksons that I saw as a kid were red tractors with huge red trailers.

The trailers sat higher than the Dundee trailers. Maybee the Crystal Lake tractors were more heavily speced or had taller rubber. All were Cummins power except for one Harnishfegger. There was another company in the area that had dundee colors but were B-61 macks. I notice that there still is a Dundee sand and gravel up in Wisconsin.

BCR All of the Crystal Lake Hendricksons that I saw as a kid were red tractors with huge red trailers.

The trailers sat higher than the Dundee trailers. Maybee the Crystal Lake tractors were more heavily speced or had taller rubber. All were Cummins power except for one Harnishfegger. There was another company in the area that had dundee colors but were B-61 macks. I notice that there still is a Dundee sand and gravel up in Wisconsin.

OK,thanks James.I don't think that (one in Wisc.) Dundee S & G is related.Meyer bought the old Dundee S & G in the '70's.

Great thread. Definitely not something you would se in Pennsylvania. The green one with the sleeper is really neat. Mike

Glad you like 'em,Mike. They were second only to MACK in Chicago & the midwest area for years.They were definetly a custom-built truck.If you could dream it,they would build it.They had a service department that unmatched (from what I was told by oldtimers).There was the service manager,Oscar,they say was there to make sure your truck (no matter the make) was modified to your liking.You could watch your truck being built on the assembly line,too.

What's up with the super long noses? 12v71?

Most of the Detroit powered ones had 6-71's in them,Ike.Although,they would build you one with a 12V if you wanted it!

These are the only Hendrickson pictures I have. They are from the ATHS show in South Bend in 2011. I didn't write down any information, but I think they were all owned by the same guy. This is the only cabover Hendrickson I have ever seen. Mike

attachicon.gifATHS Convention 2011 South Bend IN 075.JPGattachicon.gifATHS Convention 2011 South Bend IN 076.JPG

You're right,Mike,all the Hendricksons in your pictures are owned by Dan Pegram.The cabover was resurrected by Buck Buchanan then later sold to Dan.As I stated in the first post,Dan recentley added Buck's '48 to his collection too.The cabover was extremely rare.That model used Peterbilt doors on it! The first generation Hendrickson cabovers used a modified IH CO-190-220 cab(originally a Diamond T cab)!post-510-0-22615400-1358911166_thumb.jpgpost-510-0-99121200-1358911193_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You're right,Mike,all the Hendricksons in your pictures are owned by Dan Pegram.The cabover was resurrected by Buck Buchanan then later sold to Dan.As I stated in the first post,Dan recentley added Buck's '48 to his collection too.The cabover was extremely rare.That model used Peterbilt doors on it! The first generation Hendrickson cabovers used a modified IH CO-190-220 cab(originally a Diamond T cab)!attachicon.gifHend. COE.jpgattachicon.gifjune_1_1972_00.jpg

When I was A kid I had Match box doubles (Cooper Jarret) with this type cabover (Henderickson)

BULLHUSK

Also had the Dodge C1000 Fruehauf belly dump doubles in Matchbox

• Like 1

When I was A kid I had Match box doubles (Cooper Jarret) with this type cabover (Henderickson)

BULLHUSK

Also had the Dodge C1000 Fruehauf belly dump doubles in Matchbox

Funny you should mention that,BULLHUSK.A buddy of mine just bought the Cooper-Jarret truck off of e-bay! I don't remember them as a kid.I do remember the Dodge/Fruehauf Michigan Train set-up though!

Wow. Never saw anything like that before. That is the Emeryville cab: IH rdf405 I believe, on those 2 cabover above. I figured you knew who owned the trucks in my pictures. Apparently I have seen a flip hood Hendrickson since there is one in the picture. Mike