Sooo.....I've been assigned a different company truck.

Green Dash

After blowing a second head gasket in 6 weeks, the company decided it was time to send my trusty Sterling to auction. Parts for Sterlings are becoming more expensive and harder to find so it has been decided that only minor repairs will be made to keep them on the road. The purchase of new trucks has not kept pace with the Sterling departures so the company decided to go the "pre-owned" route as a stop-gap measure until more Pinnacles are worked into the fleet. My guess is that they couldn't find enough Macks to meet company spec so they went with what they feel is the next best option. I took a picture of the grille but altered it somewhat to see if anyone can guess the brand.

Fellow BigMackTrucks members, meet my new tool, co-worker, and confidant:

I knew this wasn't gonna be easy.

Okay here it goes (Green Dash unplugs computer and leaves the room screaming)

post-106-0-61929000-1358506910_thumb.jpg

Jim

Fellow BigMackTrucks members, meet my new tool, co-worker, and confidant:

I knew this wasn't gonna be easy.

Okay here it goes (Green Dash unplugs computer and leaves the room screaming)

attachicon.gif014.JPG

At least it is a step in the right direction...coulda been a fruitliner or neverstar. Maybe next time you will get the "REAL THING"!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

At least it is a step in the right direction...coulda been a fruitliner or neverstar. Maybe next time you will get the "REAL THING"!

Yep, it's just a matter of time.

Did they give you a pink shirt to wear also?

Tell us next week what it's like to drive a tnuc truck

Nope, I already had a closet full of pink shirts that was given to me when I had my '74 Mustang II.

Opinions have been formed and will be posted when I get the nerve to do so. I've been in it for 3 weeks........... :whistling:

Hey atleast youre getting some p*ssy haha vulva

When your poor and ugly as I am you gotta improvise.

• Like 2

Jim

Jim,my condolences on the new truck!,on a serious note, (well not really) my neighbor has just bought a Sterling tri-axle dumptruck,unsure what year,but he asked me to look at it after he got it home,the question was the location of the block heater plug-in i looked all over in the usual places and did'nt see it anywhere. Thought maybe since you've driven one you might have an idea? i cant seem to locate any tech info on the interweb concerning "modern" Sterlings...............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Jim,my condolences on the new truck!,on a serious note, (well not really) my neighbor has just bought a Sterling tri-axle dumptruck,unsure what year,but he asked me to look at it after he got it home,the question was the location of the block heater plug-in i looked all over in the usual places and did'nt see it anywhere. Thought maybe since you've driven one you might have an idea? i cant seem to locate any tech info on the interweb concerning "modern" Sterlings...............................Mark

Drivers side under the door in the filler panel if its a class8 sterling like those round here, if it aint there look deeper it may not have one they are an option and sterling made the cheapest new trucks by not adding most options.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Ours did not have the filler panels but the plug was also mounted below the driver's door.

sorry to hear of your new assignment. That's probably the one main reason I'm an owner/operator,so nobody tells me what I have to drive.

I don't think I could net as an O/O what I am earning as a company driver. I like what I do and I'm quite satisfied with the pay and benefit package, so I just take what they give me. We have a few old Visions and Sterlings at my terminal that I could drive, but they prefer to keep them local. The Volvo is actually my best option at the moment.

Jim

On the subject of a Volvo, well it could be worse I guess , you could be driving a used Volvo, oh wait you are, um dont mind me im just tired......NOPE WIDE AWAKE! I dontr know I have never driver a newer Volvo I have friends that do and they say the ride is great, the interior is roomy and quiet their only real problem with them is they are all plastic and after a couple hundred thousand they start to rattle and shke and get a bunch of road noise. I know from workin on trucks they are very bad about intercooler/charge air piping leaks, if it sounds like your blowing air out the front you probably are. the intercoolers are low mounted and not well protected so road debris and vibration play hell with em. I have been told the VED12 and the newer engines are decent pullers, not great but decent and you could get em with an ISX so there is power potential there. OK enough sugar coating it your driving a sissy truck sorry man Ill attatch a pic of my Superliner to make it feel better for ya!

OK!!!! I'm back. Had to go look at some of "Other Dogs" pictures of the babes he meets on the road, after lookin at that Mack picture I thought I might have gone mackvestite or something,I'm ok now!! Still like Other Dogs pics but what a beautifull truck.

On the subject of a Volvo, well it could be worse I guess , you could be driving a used Volvo, oh wait you are, um dont mind me im just tired......NOPE WIDE AWAKE! I dontr know I have never driver a newer Volvo I have friends that do and they say the ride is great, the interior is roomy and quiet their only real problem with them is they are all plastic and after a couple hundred thousand they start to rattle and shke and get a bunch of road noise. I know from workin on trucks they are very bad about intercooler/charge air piping leaks, if it sounds like your blowing air out the front you probably are. the intercoolers are low mounted and not well protected so road debris and vibration play hell with em. I have been told the VED12 and the newer engines are decent pullers, not great but decent and you could get em with an ISX so there is power potential there. OK enough sugar coating it your driving a sissy truck sorry man Ill attatch a pic of my Superliner to make it feel better for ya!

The picture of your truck made me feel worse,but thanks anyway!

That's some interesting info about the air leaks. These trucks have the VED 12 engines rated at 395 hp with 10 speed directs and 3.08 rears and are dogs on hills. Every one that has been put on the road so far seems to be lacking in low end torque.

Mine has 652,000 miles on it and drives like a brand new truck. No drafts, wind noise, or rattles and the drivetrain and the suspension still feel very tight with the only exception being a worn out bushing causing excessive play in the shift lever which will be repaired at the next PM.

Jim

I'm sorry,Jim! I feel for you,brother......sniff...sniff...!!! Thats why I have my antique trucks.When I get tired of driving their crap,at least I can still have fun in my old stuff!! :bulldog3:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Look on the bright side- at least it doesnt have a 2-stroke mechanical asshole under the hood!

Yep, things can always be worse.

I'm sorry,Jim! I feel for you,brother......sniff...sniff...!!! Thats why I have my antique trucks.When I get tired of driving their crap,at least I can still have fun in my old stuff!! :bulldog3:

I understand my former employer still has a couple of R models running. I'm sure he'd let me run one for a day if I need a fix.

• Like 1

Jim

Since most of you have figured out that the truck is in fact a Volvo, here's another view. It certainly won't win any beauty contests

post-106-0-03774000-1358572604_thumb.jpg

Anyone who has travelled through western PA, eastern OH, or northern WV will recognize this tractor in it's past life. It was formerly owned by talon Logistics, the trucking division of the Giant Eagle grocery chain.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4037319

Jim

I know Talon's VP of Maintenance and they have a good maintenance program. Talon has a number of older "blue" trucks still running. The newer trucks are red. The Butler terminal is running a bunch of natural gas powered trucks.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Since most of you have figured out that the truck is in fact a Volvo, here's another view. It certainly won't win any beauty contests, but our two head mechanics might.

post-1374-0-52516800-1358600921_thumb.jp

Anyone who has travelled through western PA, eastern OH, or northern WV will recognize this tractor in it's past life. It was formerly owned by talon Logistics, the trucking division of the Giant Eagle grocery chain.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4037319

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.