Sooo.....I've been assigned a different company truck.

Green Dash

Since most of you have figured out that the truck is in fact a Volvo, here's another view. It certainly won't win any beauty contests, but our two head mechanics might.

attachicon.gifGD015.JPG

Anyone who has travelled through western PA, eastern OH, or northern WV will recognize this tractor in it's past life. It was formerly owned by talon Logistics, the trucking division of the Giant Eagle grocery chain.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4037319

The one on the left is definitely a "head" mechanic. However the one on the right does not have dirty knees! Maybe the one on the right only "handles" the tools. coollaugh.gif

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Speaking of new units, Mark did you get a new one too? I saw a Clark's Transfer at Truck World in Hubbard today...but it wasn't a Vision no. 386.

No same truck,my truck number now is actually 386C (contractor) since i no longer actively pull their freight,i have just never bothered to add the "C" to my bumper!................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

No same truck,my truck number now is actually 386C (contractor) since i no longer actively pull their freight,i have just never bothered to add the "C" to my bumper!................................Mark

I didn't think that was your white Volvo, just wanted to make sure.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I didn't think that was your white Volvo, just wanted to make sure.

Nope! the day i'm seen in a Vulva,i'll turn in my papers,check myself into the nervous hospital!.......................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Talon used to be OK grocery who had really a strictly Mack fleet. I remember those white u models pulling reefers everywhere.
Talon is still connected with Mack but the "other" side. Vulva tries new stuff in their fleet. I think they are 100% Vulva now. I don't remember seeing any Macks.

They've been 100% Volvo since the mid-90's when they started phasing out the U models. Poor Vinny would've overdosed if he'd been hanging around Crafton back then. The first Volvos (with the White Road Boss cabs) had OK Grocery on the door and I'm pretty sure the name changed while they were still on the road.

• Like 1

Jim

I know Talon's VP of Maintenance and they have a good maintenance program. Talon has a number of older "blue" trucks still running. The newer trucks are red. The Butler terminal is running a bunch of natural gas powered trucks.

Mine is ex-Talon P638. The first night out I was heading up I-79 and P633 was getting on at Crafton with a running reefer. I had just under 12 bushel in a dry box and he blew my doors off on the small hill heading up to Mt Nebo Rd. I need to get to the bottom of this.

Butler Refrigerated Meats had an interesting fleet before GE standardized their it. White IH's with black spokes and at least half their trailers were stainless steel reefers with the logo and stripes from front to back. Pretty sharp.

Useless Trivia> You can tell where each truck in the Talon fleet is based by looking at the letter in the unit number:

P=Pittsburgh (Crafton)

B=Harmony (BRM)

C=Cleveland (Formerly ASF-Riser Foods)

Y=Youngstown (Tamarkin)

Jim

They've been 100% Volvo since the mid-90's when they started phasing out the U models. Poor Vinny would've overdosed if he'd been hanging around Crafton back then. The first Volvos (with the White Road Boss cabs) had OK Grocery on the door and I'm pretty sure the name changed while they were still on the road.

Mmmmm, I almost stroke out when I see one U model. Mmmmm.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Useless Trivia> You can tell where each truck in the Talon fleet is based by looking at the letter in the unit number:

P=Pittsburgh (Crafton)

B=Harmony (BRM)

C=Cleveland (Formerly ASF-Riser Foods)

Y=Youngstown (Tamarkin)

Useless babble - Been to all terminals except Youngstown (I understand that is the smallest terminal). I thought B=Butler (BRM) but it is really in Portersville just north of Butler. Used to drive by the Cleveland terminal (which is really Bedford Heights) on I-271 when I worked in Wickliffe.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Useless babble - Been to all terminals except Youngstown (I understand that is the smallest terminal). I thought B=Butler (BRM) but it is really in Portersville just north of Butler. Used to drive by the Cleveland terminal (which is really Bedford Heights) on I-271 when I worked in Wickliffe.

The BRM trucks used to have Harmony on the door but it was quite a drive north on 19 from town. Portersville would make more sense.

Youngstown is comparable in size to BRM. The Cleveland trucks used to have Bedford Heights on the doors and the Crafton trucks had Pittsburgh. They eliminated the city names when the Talon logo was updated.

Jim

I can remember seeing those u models pulling the hill up rt.60 in the residential part of Crafton. Smoke blowing through the trees lining the street and my dad and I sitting at the stop sign at the top of the hill. The on coming traffic had the right of way with no stop sign, so my dad would always let the driver keep his run up the hill going cause "its always a pain to stop and have to start with a good run up the hill" he'd say, "just givin the driver a break."

• Like 2