T2060 in a 1990 Mack RB690s

firelinefps

Last summer I bought a 1990 Mack RB690s S with a Kpac hooklift/roll off system on it. It has the T2060 transmission. I thought all the T2060's had a high/low range, but the dealer I bought this truck from said this one didnt. It has R, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 but no high/low flapper on the gear shift, it does have the aire lines coming up the shifter rod but no flapper. My main reason for asking is that I have put this and some other equipment up for sale do to the lack of work in my area and I just want to be able to have the right information to pass to perspective buyers. Thanks for any help.

post-13729-0-79701500-1358006921_thumb.j

post-13729-0-15021600-1358007007_thumb.j

Thanks guys for your help, after seeing the pictures so I knew what to look for I jumped in it and could see the valve plate and the hole where the plastic flipper must screw into. I put a screw driver into the hole and the valve plate switches back and forth just fine so I'm hoping it was just broke off and they never fixed it. When it warms up a bit, i'll fire things up and take her for a spin. It will be like Christmas if it all works!

Im going to guess and say the original owner may have broke the lever off to keep drivers from driving it like a 10 speed and tearing up the back case. People get in a truck with a lever on the shifting knob and think they have a Hi and lo side. This trans does not have a synchronizer. Every T2060 I see has a failure in the aux case because of improper shifting. If lo reverse and lo 1st arent needed I would leave it in high and drive it like a 5 speed. Ive taken the air shift lever and airlines off by owner request just to prevent future failures. Even if the owner is the only driver, somewhere some mechanic will get in and attempt to shift it like a 10 speed and start the failure. Sounds like the previous owner paid for trans repairs due to improper shifting. Its a simple costly mistake that WILL happen.

• Like 2

I believe that is the same shiftknob assembly used in the old Spicer air 4x4's.I rebuilt the knob for my KW,only to find out the trans was bad.OOPS! The rebuild kit through Weller Truck Parts ran me like $105.00 at the time (3 years ago).It came with the plastic knob (thats missing on yours)and the whole "guts" of the valve.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

That's why their called steering wheel holders.

And why there's a a plate/sticker somewhere in the truck showing how the shift the transmission. So many transmissions use the same lever and air switch, look at the older Roadrangers. I don't know why anyone would assume which transmission they were operating when often times all you have to do is look around or maybe put the the effort into pulling down the sun visor.

• Like 1

Jim

Im going to guess and say the original owner may have broke the lever off to keep drivers from driving it like a 10 speed and tearing up the back case. People get in a truck with a lever on the shifting knob and think they have a Hi and lo side. This trans does not have a synchronizer. Every T2060 I see has a failure in the aux case because of improper shifting. If lo reverse and lo 1st arent needed I would leave it in high and drive it like a 5 speed. Ive taken the air shift lever and airlines off by owner request just to prevent future failures. Even if the owner is the only driver, somewhere some mechanic will get in and attempt to shift it like a 10 speed and start the failure. Sounds like the previous owner paid for trans repairs due to improper shifting. Its a simple costly mistake that WILL happen.

That will be all well & good until the truck gets into some soft ground or has to start off loaded on a steep hill & the driver smokes the clutch trying to get it moving without lo lo.

• Like 1

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Damn how hard is it to read the shift pattern where ever it might be if it isn't removed. Every truck I have ever driven thats the first thing I looked for. Hauled a few Mixers that had Mack 7 speeds. think it was lo 1-2 hi 1-5. Different but as it was said steering wheel holders

• Like 1