PA Turnpike MP45

Mile Post 45 - On the southwest side of the pike (right side going eastbound) there are two (2) off-highway trucks. All I can see is the top of the dump beds but they look like a Mack bed. I was going to stop and look/take a pic but got "stuck" in the left lane. Maybe another trip I will get a chance to stop and ID these trucks.

Anyone else see these trucks?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

OD doesn't run the PA pike. BTW, they just raised the tolls on Sunday.

Oh christ..............not again. I hate that freak'n road to begin with. The only saving grace is coming home, you loose the last toll booth so it's cheaper Westbound.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Is that the mulch plant? There was a Mack M in there and a Euclid. Neither was neat the road last time I was through.

Yep, mulch plant. Trucks are sitting just north of the pile and down a slight raven. All you can see is the upper 2'-3' of the beds.

Ken

Oh christ..............not again. I hate that freak'n road to begin with. The only saving grace is coming home, you loose the last toll booth so it's cheaper Westbound.

Never figured out the "no toll" going west into OH. I would think they would make you pay to get out of the state.

Just west of the Warrendale exit (on the NE side) there is a construction company with a steel nosed R (not sure of the model). I will try to remember to stop and take a pic. I did not take Otherdog's "moving picture taking" class.

BTW, I have EZPass so the tolls are reduced. Almost a weekly trip - OH to PA and PA to OH.

Ken

Stopped on the PA pike Saturday on my drive to OH. The construction company trucks are on the NE side at mile post 27. What I thought was a R is a DM. There are also two (2) steel nosed DM (facing the opposite direction - one is behind the other). The one to the right (in the pic) has dual exhaust stacks on the right side of the cab. Interesting set-up.

post-3289-0-46292600-1358078967_thumb.jp

post-3289-0-74923800-1358078991_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Ken

OD doesn't run the PA pike. BTW, they just raised the tolls on Sunday.

I've seen the trucks you're talking about. That's about the only part of the pike that I have been on lately, from New Stanton or rt. 28 running empty over to 79 to go to Sharon to load after delivering lumber.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The black and yellow is a RD800.

David - you are likely right. It looks like the cab is leaning offset to the left like a DM (or U). I couldn't get a better angle of the truck.

Hey Guys,

Those Bulldogs belong to: John Benkart Rigging Co. They have been in the rigging business for a long time.

Brent

Brent - Thx! Benkart name is on the boom in the background.

Ken

So whats new with the Pike. They raise the tolls every year. This has been done for the last 5 or 6 years. Its getting to expensive to run. Someone tell me why you can run from the Ohio, PA line going west to exit 71 for $31.00. Last yeat it cost $68.60 from Breezwood to the toll both at I79. Someone is getting rich. No wonder they want to put tolls on I80.

This is Mack country. On a quiet night you can hear a peterbilt rust away.

that gold and white DM800 has an E9 notice the dual exhaust pipes coming up from the low mounted muffler.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

So whats new with the Pike. They raise the tolls every year. This has been done for the last 5 or 6 years. Its getting to expensive to run. Someone tell me why you can run from the Ohio, PA line going west to exit 71 for $31.00. Last yeat it cost $68.60 from Breezwood to the toll both at I79. Someone is getting rich. No wonder they want to put tolls on I80.

There is an explanation on the Turnpike web site as to why they have been raising the tolls every year and will continue to do so up to a certain year, but I don't remember the details and think it's a bunch of crap anyway. I live less than a mile from Turnpike 43 which runs from I-68 in WV to....a busy four lane 10 miles south of Pittsburgh. I doubt I will see it completed in my lifetime but the toll keeps going up every year. There are alternative routes to that highway and they are eventually going to price that road right out of business.

Jim

Hey Guys,

Those Bulldogs belong to: John Benkart Rigging Co. They have been in the rigging business for a long time.

Brent

There's another place with yellow construction equipment further east at the Babcock Blvd overpass but I don't know if you can see it from the Pike. He had some huge Autocars at one time.

Jim

Stopped on the PA pike Saturday on my drive to OH. The construction company trucks are on the NE side at mile post 27. What I thought was a R is a DM. There are also two (2) steel nosed DM (facing the opposite direction - one is behind the other). The one to the right (in the pic) has dual exhaust stacks on the right side of the cab. Interesting set-up.

Black and yellow one is an RD800, the other 2 are DM800's. Love them dual exaust pipes on the same side.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

There is an explanation on the Turnpike web site as to why they have been raising the tolls every year and will continue to do so up to a certain year, but I don't remember the details and think it's a bunch of crap anyway. I live less than a mile from Turnpike 43 which runs from I-68 in WV to....a busy four lane 10 miles south of Pittsburgh. I doubt I will see it completed in my lifetime but the toll keeps going up every year. There are alternative routes to that highway and they are eventually going to price that road right out of business.

I know I run it 3 to 5 times a week in the summer and fall. Its either pay the toll or buy the fuel to run across I68. The only good thing is the pike is quicker. If this keeps up it will be cheaper to buy the fuel to run 68.

This is Mack country. On a quiet night you can hear a peterbilt rust away.

I run the pike because it is quicker (less than 4 hours door to door - Canton to RS). Route 22 is nice now that it is four lane from Monroeville to I-99. Just wish they would eliminate the signal lights. I-80 to I-99 south adds another hour. Of course I am in a 4-wheeler so tolls are slightly less than an 18-wheeler.

As for the toll increases...likely the State is taking money from the PA Pike and using it elsewhere. Used to be the pike was self sufficient. I can remember when it was 5 cents a mile.

Ken

• 2 months later...