Pup Trailer Purchase

farmer52

Before I commit to buy another item, I am going to post this message and get opinions.

I am considering buying a 2005 28' drop van that is in Phoenix, AZ. The dealer made some inquiries to transport the trailer to PA. The quotes are just under $4000. The listed price of the trailer is $9500. So that makes the asking price of this trailer $13500 with transportation.

I roughly calculated the fuel cost to be ~$2000 if I picked it up myself. This is not a trip I would want to make this time of year.

The trailer is within my budget (on the high side) without transportation. But transportation blows it out of the water.

28' drop vans (especially rust free ones) are hard to find.

Comments, suggestions?

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Price dropped to $8000 per trailer. They have two (2). Anyone interested in a 28' drop van (102" wide)? However they don't have a converter dolly. Anyone coming from west to east want to pickup a trailer....I am cheap but willing to pay $1000 transportation to PA...you can pickup the trailer and use it to transport a load. Any takers? Thoughts? (other than I'm a cheap SOB) :whistling:

• Like 1

Ken

Find some one the board who lives close to the trailers who would be willing to pick it up and store it until the weather gets nicer. Then go get it.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Find some one the board who lives close to the trailers who would be willing to pick it up and store it until the weather gets nicer. Then go get it.

Hi Carl,

I was hoping someone from AZ would speak up. So I guess I will have to ask....ANYONE FROM PHOENIX? After Christmas I am going to call the dealer and see if they will keep it on their property until spring. But would feel better if someone could put an eye on the trailer.

Ken

Thanks for the link. I already inquired about this trailer (not correct pic in ad). It has some rust, needs roof repaired, tires, and rear door. $2500 as is ($5000 repaired but not tires) FOB GA. Definitely cheaper and closer but not up to my standards.

There are some standard pups at Penske here in OH. Lots of rust and asking price is $8250. Also some pups in NC that are decent. The one is Phoenix is a drop deck with NO rust and looks brand new. Not only am I a cheap SOB, I am also very particular....a particularly cheap SOB! :whistling:

• Like 1

Ken

No replies from anyone in Arizona. There must not be any BMT members or Mack trucks there. I am going to call the dealer today (if they are open) and "negotiate" a deal. I have ads posted on several forums for transportation. If the dealer can/will keep it till spring...looks like a road trip and an expensive one. I have lots of stops on the return route including picking up my garden cart in IL. Perhaps I can "transport some Mack parts" to offset the fuel cost. I just hope the MH is up for the task. My only concern is the DOT. Going that long of a distance I am likely to get stopped, especially at "chicken coops". Then it will be a test for my FMCSA exemption.

Southern route to AZ (MO, TX, NM) and northern route back to PA (UT, CO, IA, IL). I believe there may be an accumulation of Mack trucks/parts in IA. :whistling:

Ken

Ken,

There are several pup trailers for sale at donavansusedcars.com in Harrisonburg, va. They are not as new as the one you are looking at, they are not drop decks BUT they are a lot closer and less in cost. I have talked to him about trucks and he is usually open to negotiation.

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

Ken,

There are several pup trailers for sale at donavansusedcars.com in Harrisonburg, va. They are not as new as the one you are looking at, they are not drop decks BUT they are a lot closer and less in cost. I have talked to him about trucks and he is usually open to negotiation.

Thanks Denny! Worth a call at least.

Ken

Just make sure when Chain law drops. Some states do not enforce it and others have a carry law and want to see them. Food for thought. I also don't mean in use, just the time of year

What is the last date for most states?

Ken

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update...check sent to dealer in Phoenix. Once the check clears the bank, ODFL will pickup the trailer and deliver it to Altoona, PA. I should have the trailer by mid-May. Thanks for all the suggestions.

P.S. The trailer only has about 55K miles and was used by a "high end" furniture store that went out of business.

post-3289-0-67655600-1366281128_thumb.jp

Ken

Just a quick update...check sent to dealer in Phoenix. Once the check clears the bank, ODFL will pickup the trailer and deliver it to Altoona, PA. I should have the trailer by mid-May. Thanks for all the suggestions.

P.S. The trailer only has about 55K miles and was used by a "high end" furniture store that went out of business.

Nice looking' trailer Ken,

Sure should help some some with the ride in the"MH", not to mention the"Pucker Factor" on those rainy days!

Ron

Nice looking' trailer Ken,

Sure should help some some with the ride in the"MH", not to mention the"Pucker Factor" on those rainy days!

Ron

Thanks Ron! I hope it will help "tame" those bumps. Likely will not get any mods done this year but maybe next year I can get a "sleeping" area built over the fifth wheel. First I need to install a curbside "walkin" door. Of course an air mattress and sleeping bag will make it a "sleeping" area.

Ken

Thanks again everyone. I am waiting to hear from the dealer when the check has cleared the bank. Once it clears, they will contact ODFL who will pickup and deliver the trailer. I will post some pics once I get it "home".

Ken