Chicago R models

Quite possible,it was sold to someone in New England,along with several other of my cousins wreckers,the Oshkosh and a Peterbilt both went to the same towing company,just not sure who?........................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Quite possible,it was sold to someone in New England,along with several other of my cousins wreckers,the Oshkosh and a Peterbilt both went to the same towing company,just not sure who?........................................Mark

It is all painted the same just different name on it.

It is on here: http://tow411.yuku.com/topic/74122#.URrGg8X4K_4

• Like 2

Matt

It is all painted the same just different name on it.

It is on here: http://tow411.yuku.com/topic/74122#.URrGg8X4K_4

That would be it! never knew about this site,i also found a picture of the Pete when he owned it,(also now in CT) still looking for his RL-700! somewhere in New England last i heard............................Mark

post-5836-0-76884400-1360706498_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-21607800-1360706570_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-74988900-1360706595.jpg

• Like 2

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

It was good to see the big Curran Mack again. I remember getting dragged along to go shopping in Crystal Lake as a kid and that truck

was always parked up against the building. I think it sat for a couple years before they got rid of it. But that is not the only big

Mack around here, Al I've been holding out on you. My friend Bill that works at Catom sent me these pictures of his W900 and

Walbridge's big Mack. He said they told him the truck was a 56 but I cannot verify that and he didn't have any other specs.

Walbridge still has the truck and it is in their yard in Aurora. These were the only pics with the Mack in them and these were

from 09. Catom still works with them so I will see if he can get some better pictures.

Ah ha! Looks like a 10-ton ARMY Tractor there.I can't remember the nomenclature of those.They had a V-8 Cummins in them,though.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Thanks Al ! thats one hell of a wrecker right there! my late cousin was in the wrecker business in Jersey,he had a GIANT Oshkosh that was an Ex-Navy recovery outfit,this DMM kinda reminded me of it......................................Mark

No problem there,Mark.That Oshkosh Converted to a DMM (or an OCDMM),is a pretty interesting truck,too! Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Is Palumbo still in business.

Yes.The paving side is now called "Orange Crush,LLC". They got their PP slapped by the state of Illinois, and can no longer do state work.

Love the big RD800s. Any idea what they have for drivetrains? Saw one like this a few years back and it only had a 300 with a automatic trans.

I don't know.A 300/auto, would probably be sufficient.They would be geared pretty low,as they wouldn't see any street time.I know 40mph is pretty fast in a gravel pit or quarry! Our "safety nut" (or company condom-he's there for your protection),wants us to travel at 10mph in the pit.We travel on a 3.5 round trip haul road at times.Too slow,or too fast can cause you to work yourself right out of a job.I run 10-15 around the plant areas as a rule.I get out on the haul road 20-25 is a safe speed in a 40-tonner.

• Like 1

I don't know.A 300/auto, would probably be sufficient.They would be geared pretty low,as they wouldn't see any street time.I know 40mph is pretty fast in a gravel pit or quarry! Our "safety nut" (or company condom-he's there for your protection),wants us to travel at 10mph in the pit.We travel on a 3.5 round trip haul road at times.Too slow,or too fast can cause you to work yourself right out of a job.I run 10-15 around the plant areas as a rule.I get out on the haul road 20-25 is a safe speed in a 40-tonner.

Use to run a D30D Cat. Rule was try to keep up with the pans. Never happened they would just run rings around us. but we did 1 road project probably had a good mile straight shot. On hard road I would put it in 5th empty it would shift and lock in and man you felt like you where doing 70 mph's loaded even on hard rock it would shift into 5th but the converter wouldn't lock up. But man you get them 8 forward gears in those pans and man alive no doors,or front windshield and all that mass you felt like you where flying.

• Like 2

get to drive a cat 725 or 740 some time they ride pretty good at least you can brace your left leg to keep from flyin around the cab.in a terex35not old one po rides for shit miss my camel back .beter to use the off road in the crap thenmy o5 granite lts of mud and knee deep water.

• Like 1

I count 4 or 5 steps to get in that cab...awesome!

Thats why Meyer got rid of the DMM's,Trent.I guess when a driver would get put in one of those,rather than an Oshkosh, or RD,or standard DM,he would forget and upon exiting the cab,would slip and fall off of the thing (thats a long way down). Why a guy can't stop and think about it,I'll never know? Meyer said they were a "workman's comp case, waiting to happen". I guess statistics showed it was a bad design (MACK only had it for like 40+ years)!

Thats why Meyer got rid of the DMM's,Trent.I guess when a driver would get put in one of those,rathan than an Oshkosh, or RD,or standard DM,he would forget and upon exiting the cab,would slip and fall off of the thing (thats a long way down). Why a guy can't stop and think about it,I'll never know? Meyer said they were a "workman's comp case, waiting to happen". I guess statistics showed it was a bad design (MACK only had it for like 40+ years)!

Yea...the dumbing down of America... Forgetting how to exit your truck that you drive each day....that's like saying I can't go to work because I might forget how to get home.

Yea...the dumbing down of America... Forgetting how to exit your truck that you drive each day....that's like saying I can't go to work because I might forget how to get home.

Yep,Its amazing SOME of the people that are out there.We've all had to work with,around,and sometimes for! There is a Homer Simpson at every outfit! DOH! :loldude:

The Chicago area R model of the day goes to..post-510-0-59788400-1360852187_thumb.jpg Cassidy Conveyor.Its really an RB,but nonetheless a version of the R,so it qualifies! Brian Dhamer Photo. In fact thats Brian with his brand X,dumping into the conveyor. (pssst....Peterbilt's can't get close enough to the slab/foundation to just dump in!) sorry,Bri.......we're still friends, right? :loldude:

• Like 1

Since were on the path of BIGGER Macks,we have to remember folks,this thread is "Chicago R models" LOL!! It doesn't get any more Chicago than a Palumbo R model,and they don't get any bigger than these RM 800's ! Enjoy!attachicon.gifIMG_0981.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0986.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0987.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0988.JPG These monsters are used for stockpiling sand & stone at one of their asphalt plants,I would imagine. The last time I seen one of these RM dumps was at Vulcan-McCook,while I was headed for the Hodgkins scale(1998-9).It belonged to Central Blacktop.They must have a plant in the quarry. I wish Meyer would buy one of these instead of the 40 ton Deere I drive! :bulldog1:

HOW DID I MISS THESE....?

never have seen these before and I have been in many of their yards. Those are some of the largest Macks left here in Chicago.... if they are still around?

those look awsome. might still be more common sight out east as but I have never seen any this big in and around Chicagoland

Trent those trucks are in Bolingbrook and are definitely still around. My friend Tom took those pics last Thursday.

Good to know.. I remember when paulmbo was a big trucking outfit. Seams they down sized big time with the scandle.

They seamed like the biggest outfit here in the 80's now it's rare to see them out in full fleet on the road.

My guess is that the state held onto them, tried to charge for storage for over 2 years of the investagation. Fees added up to more than the truck was worth and auctioned off as salvage.

Iirc K konstruction was being looked at for stolen trucks and truck parts. But no charges were brought...I know they lost 50% of thir fleet and got just a few tractors and old frameless dumps back to wich most are for sale at their yard on rt12

thanks