The Philly Construction Thread

One of Andersons GU713. There was one that got in an accident sitting in Rob's collions yard for the longest of time.

picture007_zpsac3f2466.jpg

Where did you take that pic? I'm trying to figure out if I was on that job.

Pearson and Torresdale Ave in N.E. Phila. This was taken back in 2009. One of your W2200's was loading it.

-Mike

Is anyone here familiar with, or do you remember the old Hammerhead Crane that was at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard? It was at one time one of the most powerful cranes in the world- was used to lift superstructures of ships and other shipbuilding purposes. It was torn down in 1995 or 1996 I want to say- when I was a firefighter at the PNSY Fire Dept. They used another crane to lift a bobcat with a pecker up into the main structure of the crane to break up the concrete counterweight. It was a huge project that took a few months to complete. I have pictures somewhere.......need to find them and scan them. Couldnt be too obvious taking pics though as cameras were verboten in the area, but since the majority of the yard was shut down, the rule was kinda bent a bit.

EDIT: here's a link to some pics of it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=hammerhead+crane+philadelphia&hl=en&tbo=u&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4ACGW_enUS412US412&site=webhp&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Yq8OUYSADuSE0QGpyoDYAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=543

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Is anyone here familiar with, or do you remember the old Hammerhead Crane that was at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard? It was at one time one of the most powerful cranes in the world- was used to lift superstructures of ships and other shipbuilding purposes. It was torn down in 1995 or 1996 I want to say- when I was a firefighter at the PNSY Fire Dept. They used another crane to lift a bobcat with a pecker up into the main structure of the crane to break up the concrete counterweight. It was a huge project that took a few months to complete. I have pictures somewhere.......need to find them and scan them. Couldnt be too obvious taking pics though as cameras were verboten in the area, but since the majority of the yard was shut down, the rule was kinda bent a bit.

EDIT: here's a link to some pics of it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=hammerhead+crane+philadelphia&hl=en&tbo=u&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4ACGW_enUS412US412&site=webhp&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Yq8OUYSADuSE0QGpyoDYAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=543

Man that is cool. I got sent down to the naval yard with a few loads of 2A crushed concrete that was being used to help sink an old ship. It was really neat to get to see all that stuff up close. It happened to be like 100 degrees out that day and those poor guys were sweating their asses off working in that ship.

Preston Construction's R model. They decal their H&K's but I don't think they are part of them.

DSC01060.jpg

DSC00685.jpg

DSC00383.jpg

DSC00452.jpg

picture020.jpg

Preston Constuction LLC,, is H&K threw the Miniscalo Construction Div. MBE contractor is always good to have on the list

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM