The Philly Construction Thread

Donald was my father,and all the work we did was done up state,in Frackville,Minerville.Did a job in Newark,Del.We got out of it in 2006-07.Got rid of all the iron right before the bottom drop out.Most of the big stuff(d9's,773's,992,375) stayed somewhat local.Just about all the smaller iron went overseas.We did ship the last D9 to Africa.It was an old 66A model,was the best running tractor we had.Would love to be back in it but there's no money to be made.

Yes that was a Komatsu D455,when it was brand new.That was back around 1984.We traded in a HD41 tractor on it.I can remember moving that HD41 with the blade still on the tractor.Now adays you can hardly move a D6 with the blade still on it.That one pic of us moving the Koehring 1166 was when we moved it from Pedricktown NJ over to the Philly airport.We only removed the counter weight left the boom and stick in it.We were somewhere close to 250,000lbs.

Yes they do own my old truck.The fellow that drives it is going to help me lift the cab off my B87 tractor.Thackray brought it from Trenten Mack,but first Trenten Mack had sold it to a scrap dealer in NJ and he didn't have the truck very long before the smog patrol over in NJ caught him and tested the truck.It failed badly so he sold it back to Trenten Mack and Thackray brought it.I have seen it many times.Truck has one of the last mechincal motors that Mack built.We had the pump turn all the way up.Top speed wasn't all that great about 72mph,but it would pull a mountain up another mountain.MikeD

• Like 1

Rahns Construction Materials B-Model from Rahns, PA. Macungie 2011

When I first seen the mixer done, I was surprised it was green and not the company beige and brown

But Art said.. Green is the color John wanted

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

Years ago,, you knew from the color of the equipment who got the bid

Durkin all red

Morrissey all green

Today everything has rented or leased stickers

So True that quote, most companies who had liverys are gone, or no longer do it.

D'angelo, Stopped doing it

Depaul, Stopped doing it

Dimarco, Gone

Durkin, Gone

Glasgow, Stopped doing it

Morrissey, only for repaints of older machines with OEM paint, or with their livery.

Miller, Gone

Railroad Construction Co, I think they still do it.

-Mike

So True that quote, most companies who had liverys are gone, or no longer do it.

D'angelo, Stopped doing it

Depaul, Stopped doing it

Dimarco, Gone

Durkin, Gone

Glasgow, Stopped doing it

Morrissey, only for repaints of older machines with OEM paint, or with their livery.

Miller, Gone

Railroad Construction Co, I think they still do it.

I had some friends that worked for miller before they went under. Anderson got one of their Pete tractors and a little international water truck. They're both still brown, don't know if they'll ever get a respray.

RCC is laying the trolley track on Richmond St, and I think I remember only one of their excavators being painted all red.