E9 engine

PBean

how do you ID an E9 versus the other two V8s??Looked at an R model that had a longer hood then normal .an had a v8 but looks like a more modern engine then the the v8s that i have seen in r models before.Valve covers are square rather then rounded. I thought there were three types of v8s mack made but wasnt sure if this truck might of had an engine swap at sum point.Started it up and sounds stout!!

If it starts right up, sounds stout and looks good, it must not be a Mack motor. Mack engines are ugly and sound horrible. If you're lucky, it could be a Detroit.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

Here is an ENDT-864. According to Mack only 34 were built and ranged up to 350hp. I found many of the parts I needed from Chalmers in PA. I am waiting on the turbos to be rebuilt and that has been a real slow deal. They are garrett but Mack customized the fans. Finally found a guy who had parts and knew about them......after all of these years!!! But he is up in age and you dont trot them old horses. So here I sit waiting.

post-198-0-54055000-1347454356_thumb.jpg

post-198-0-97232600-1347454408_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If it starts right up, sounds stout and looks good, it must not be a Mack motor. Mack engines are ugly and sound horrible. If you're lucky, it could be a Detroit.

Ben

adding 5 gallon of oil to it before start up and saw dust on the oil puddle on the floor after it moves it must be a de-triot. If it sounds like it got it's dick stepped on it must be a de-triot. I'll stick with the brute force sound and reliablity of a mack or cummins engine any day of the week. Detriots guys are like peterbilt guys they are the "rice-burner" guys trucking. A real car guy likes a muscle car not an import "rice burner". A real truck driver likes a mack. Thats my two cents.

That looks unreal Mackdaddy. Is that an R719? I thought there were more than 34 END864T engines all up but definitely only a handful in Australia. How far did you go with the engine? Is it a full rebuild or did you get hold of a good runner? There isnt much room for the throttle link to get through from the firewall to the pump! No such troubles on the naturally aspirated engine. Is the front cross member in that truck the same as an R600? It looks the same as the one used with a 6 cylinder. My R615RS has a different crossmember, a mate out here said it is unique to a Flintstone front. I will try and get a photo uploaded.

Ron, the F719T wouldve been a rare animal, the 2 or 3 out here were bogie drive. Do you know the difference between the PSM and PSJ pumps? I thought purely because J comes before M in the alphabet that the PSJ was an earlier pump, possibly the 255hp setting. And maybe the PSM was the last of them that went to 280 and up to 300 with the turbo.

Great info everyone.

Skip

Ben

I am at a loss for words but here are some I remember, if your trying to find a detroit follow the oil trail, if you like an engine that sounds like a weedeater on crack get a detroit, If your oil bill is higher than your fuel bill it must be a detroit, your trying to stop the oil leak on your detroit....ha,ha,ha,ha yeh right, good luck with that!

• Like 2

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I am at a loss for words but here are some I remember, if your trying to find a detroit follow the oil trail, if you like an engine that sounds like a weedeater on crack get a detroit, If your oil bill is higher than your fuel bill it must be a detroit, your trying to stop the oil leak on your detroit....ha,ha,ha,ha yeh right, good luck with that!

Detroits were a poor boys engine, they were quit reliable but they were two stroke and you had to drive them like you were mad at them all the time, i have nothing against them and i thank it is amazing that they would even run at all and pull as good as they did. Point being that in there hay days they where a good choice with engine like 220 cummins and gas engines but now days they have been so many better engine built over the past 30 years that the only one i would want is the 8v 92 unless it was in a old cabover that all it did was go to the shows, it is fun to lung they down and them floor them and see all that black smoke come out of them, but try pulling 80000 lbs with a 318 everything will pass you.

That looks unreal Mackdaddy. Is that an R719? I thought there were more than 34 END864T engines all up but definitely only a handful in Australia. How far did you go with the engine? Is it a full rebuild or did you get hold of a good runner? There isnt much room for the throttle link to get through from the firewall to the pump! No such troubles on the naturally aspirated engine. Is the front cross member in that truck the same as an R600? It looks the same as the one used with a 6 cylinder. My R615RS has a different crossmember, a mate out here said it is unique to a Flintstone front. I will try and get a photo uploaded.

Ron, the F719T wouldve been a rare animal, the 2 or 3 out here were bogie drive. Do you know the difference between the PSM and PSJ pumps? I thought purely because J comes before M in the alphabet that the PSJ was an earlier pump, possibly the 255hp setting. And maybe the PSM was the last of them that went to 280 and up to 300 with the turbo.

Great info everyone.

Skip

Skip

I don't no the difference between the PSM and PSJ pumps but i'm with you on the amount of ENDT-864's built.

There had to be more than 34, our truck was F-719T-1093 that would make it the 93rd F model built with the ENDT-864, and that's just one model.

You were talking about close quarters for the, accelerator linkage, try changing the accelerator return spring on the governor lever, especially when it was hot!!!

Ron

I thought by records that there may have been around 270 R719's listed, only in the USA. Thats not to say that every single number was actually produced. Im not sure on the number of F models made with that engine.

They were certainly a work of art, its a pity they werent all that reliable, from all accounts. I can imagine the fuel pump would be a nightmare to get to if the engine was hot! Its good to hear a bit of first hand knowledge about them. Are there many left sitting around iin America?

Im sorry to the old mate who started the conversation, we've got off track a bit! How did you go? Did the info help you out at all?

Again, Great info guys, keep the old V8 stuff coming in, there isnt enough of it

Regards,

Skip

Detroits were a poor boys engine, they were quit reliable but they were two stroke and you had to drive them like you were mad at them all the time, i have nothing against them and i thank it is amazing that they would even run at all and pull as good as they did. Point being that in there hay days they where a good choice with engine like 220 cummins and gas engines but now days they have been so many better engine built over the past 30 years that the only one i would want is the 8v 92 unless it was in a old cabover that all it did was go to the shows, it is fun to lung they down and them floor them and see all that black smoke come out of them, but try pulling 80000 lbs with a 318 everything will pass you.

Well believe it or not the first third and 5th trucks I drove had detroits the first two were 6v92 silver's the last was a 60 series, and a whole lot of our railroad maintenance of way equipment has 2 stroke detroits, everything from a 3-53 to an 8v92 which I just swapped in a Plasser ballast stabilizer. actually it was an 8v92 silver I put in it, I have a pic somewhere I think, I have been working on a machine with a 4-53 this week and did some injector work on a 4-71 last month. I have a 6v53 found for a possible pickup truck repower I am playing with in my mind well see if I ever do it. I guess for now my superliner project will keep me busy I have plenty to do there to get it to the ATHS show in Cookeville in two weeks.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Well believe it or not the first third and 5th trucks I drove had detroits the first two were 6v92 silver's the last was a 60 series, and a whole lot of our railroad maintenance of way equipment has 2 stroke detroits, everything from a 3-53 to an 8v92 which I just swapped in a Plasser ballast stabilizer. actually it was an 8v92 silver I put in it, I have a pic somewhere I think, I have been working on a machine with a 4-53 this week and did some injector work on a 4-71 last month. I have a 6v53 found for a possible pickup truck repower I am playing with in my mind well see if I ever do it. I guess for now my superliner project will keep me busy I have plenty to do there to get it to the ATHS show in Cookeville in two weeks.

Sweet! The 6V53's rev up like it's the end of the world. You hit the throttle and Bam! The motor's spinning the max RPM. They're awesome. I've always wanted to get one and put it in my dad's GMC C35 rollback.

Ben

Well looks like you are well educated on the old two strokes, We have a old international dump that we just parked about a month ago that has one of the old 671T in it, now the truck is a blast to drive empty, its close to 300 hp but loaded it is more work than fun, but for a engine that is 426 cubic ince it does good just don't stop on a hill, with the 7 speed trans it will not pull out loaded on a hill, just shake all over and turn the sky black before it dies!

Looks like we have highjacked someone eles post, sorry, But i know a guy that done heavy hauling here local and he had a 89 superliner with a 500 e9 in it the truck puled great but he always said when you got 300000 miles on it you might as well tear it down and rebuild it because if you didn't it would go down on you. Now that wouldn't be many miles for a over the road truck but for heavyhauling and being local truck it was probley like 700000 on a road truck, but it did sound good with a d 11 cat on its back, it would go by the shop about 50 mph loaded down with all kinds of heavy equipment on its back, no problem with anything i every seen it haul, and it was a good looking truck.

Edited by oilburner

I have driven trucks with every engine you can think of and the E9 is by far the strongest puller of any of them, Im not just talking about these new sissy trucks with detroit 12.7's and Mercedes 12l either. I have had a Detroit series 60 500 making more like 550, two N-14's one 460 and one cranked up 525 that rear wheeled 570 now that one did pull good, I had two 475 Cat's, 3-350 Mack's 2-460's all but one 350 ETECH's and a 427 ASET AI and after I went nuts on the guys at Mack about that one pulling like a freakin GEO METRO and STAXXS got ahold of the computer the 427 was a beast it ran away from the 460's on a hill. But I still have to say an E9 440 with a trtxl 107 trans and 4.42 gears is the best pulling truck I have ever sat in and I got 6mpg, you cant do that with a new MP10 and an M-Drive.

• Like 1

I have driven trucks with every engine you can think of and the E9 is by far the strongest puller of any of them, Im not just talking about these new sissy trucks with detroit 12.7's and Mercedes 12l either. I have had a Detroit series 60 500 making more like 550, two N-14's one 460 and one cranked up 525 that rear wheeled 570 now that one did pull good, I had two 475 Cat's, 3-350 Mack's 2-460's all but one 350 ETECH's and a 427 ASET AI and after I went nuts on the guys at Mack about that one pulling like a freakin GEO METRO and STAXXS got ahold of the computer the 427 was a beast it ran away from the 460's on a hill. But I still have to say an E9 440 with a trtxl 107 trans and 4.42 gears is the best pulling truck I have ever sat in and I got 6mpg, you cant do that with a new MP10 and an M-Drive.

Well ihave to say the strongest trucks i have every drove, one was a mack superliner and the other was a frieghtliner. The mack had a hot little b model cat in it that was eat up with power , the other was a c15 550 it done good. But i have to say the superliner was very impressive. Someone told me once, a diesel mechanic, that all the macks with cats or cummins in them ran better then other trucks with the same set ups, now i don't know if this is true or not but i also had a buddy that had a 86 r 700 with a 400 big cam in it, that was a tri axle dump that would really haul the mail.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks really good. What colour is the cab going to be? There were a few of those cabs over here in Australia, they pop up from time to time. Out here it was around 1975/6 when the cab was changed and there was a short time when they combined the 2 ideas.

Skip

I thought I had a thread on the R719LT that I am restoring but could not find it so I am using this one where I posted before. I had a later model R cab to use..........but anyone ever seen one that still had the steel dash in it like this one?

You people shouldn't be allowed to paint your 4 strokes that color. Isn't that copyright infringement or something?

Ben

Interesting cab! Never seen one like that. Does everything look factory?

I like the steel dash and the plus 3 cab, so the best of both worlds.

Jim

Not a plus 3 cab its a flat back std. cab I have never seen a steel dash plus 3 cab, I didnt think they made the +3 till after the steel dash was long gone, like 73 maybe?