Flushing Airport Stash

41chevy

Went to look at a job near the abandoned,sunken Flushing Airport in Queens awhile back and just found the card with the photos. Missed getting the job too...over 1000 YUP One thousand, remanufactured and due to be remanufactured Multi Fuel Engines from 1965 or so. A Brockway Av Gas Tanker thats now 1/2 under water, remains of the Airport Mack fire truck and a few other Airport trucks that are under water at high tide.

hangers.jpg

hanger14.jpg

hanger13.jpg

hanger11.jpg

hanger15.jpg

reo1.jpg

hanger2.jpg

hanger1.jpg

abandoned-flushing-airport-1.jpg

acar_reo.jpg

flushingairport.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Here's a few more pics.

hanger8.jpg

hanger6.jpg

hanger7.jpg

studemultifuel1.jpg

studemultifuel3.jpg

studemultifuel2.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

That 4-door R-Model firetruck was one of six delivered new to FDNY as a test. They were specially made for FDNY, but field testing deemed them too long to be able to navigate many of the tight streets throughout the boroughs. I have seen a similar picture before- that one at Flushing Airport is the only one known left in existence. It has been burned out, beaten, robbed, tortured, raped and pillaged, ridden hard and put away wet.

What were you bidding on exactly??

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

The removal of 11 trucks shells and 40 dumped cars. The other bid was a warehouse at Fort Dix full of M35 and M35A1 parts. The Airport was an EPA nightmare I felt better to walk away from. The Fort Dix stuff went to Ron Gasser owner of The American Armour Museum in Virginia. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

I wish I could get my hands on that r model, Im sure you would have an uphill battle restoring it but you would be the only factory crew cab Mack owner in the world.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

yup, looks like it has a 711 in it with the lubrifiner up high. hard to get paint to stick to something thats been burned tho. tried paintin a dump box that had been burned, they paint would just not stay on it. maybe with some etchin primer and sandblasting it might help

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Sure was a nice unit in its day. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

heres another one, Mack had a long relationship with New York, I think every heavy truck owned by New York City, Fire, Police, and roads were all Mack until Mack stopped making Fire apparatus then they went to Seagrave I believe. I wish I had all the Mack FDNY toys I had growing up, I had the Super Pumper set from Corgi, 5 or 6 rescue trucks and probably 20 fire trucks, all Mack but theyre long gone now (just like my sanity)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anesti1981/5131667373/

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Little backround on airport:

http://forgotten-ny.com/1999/07/flushing-airport-part-1/

Peter Zaremba, writing in the April 22-29 Time Out New York, reports that Flushing Airport was opened in 1927 as Speed’s Airport (named for former owner Speed Hanzlik.) It became the busiest airport in New York City for a time. But, North Beach Airport opened in 1939 and, as LaGuardia Field, it quickly took business away from the older airfield. As the neighborhood around the airport was gradually built up, the airport became a liability. A fatal crash in the 1970s convinced locals that it should be closed, and it was in 1984.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Damn! Look at all those engines!

I wish our guv'ment using OUR money might have taken action to get those motors to other facilities for use or have them auctioned off before sitting for 10-15 years or how ever long.

Did the motors go underwater?

What has happened at this property for buildings to be beach front property during high tide?

Jim

Those engines were sitting since at least 1965 65... now there abouts are unknown.

Some of Flushing Airport was cleared because of addicts, homeless and general trash. All the buildings are in 3 to 4 feet of standing water now.

three fourths of the run way is mostly under water now and the balance is wooded. Kind of far from the beach too, its landlocked between 678 the Van Wick Expressway, Linden Blvd and 20th Ave. Most all the water there is from whats under College Point. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

so why is it under water?

Everything developed around it is raised higher and paved. The Airport is now the lowest piece of land in the area... a giant sump kind of. Google map Flushing Airport and see it now.. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Really is a crying shame. Is the land owned by the city or is it privately held? And how much is there? Hard to believe that it has escaped development for almost 30 years. One of the pics showed a stop light and street signs surrounded by weeds and such, was there city streets running through the airport or did they only go around the perimeter?

Sorry for so many questions but abandoned places like this fascinate me, just never expect to see them anywhere outside the deserts and plains of the great west, certainly not in Queens NY!

Really is a crying shame. Is the land owned by the city or is it privately held? And how much is there? Hard to believe that it has escaped development for almost 30 years. One of the pics showed a stop light and street signs surrounded by weeds and such, was there city streets running through the airport or did they only go around the perimeter?

Sorry for so many questions but abandoned places like this fascinate me, just never expect to see them anywhere outside the deserts and plains of the great west, certainly not in Queens NY!

The land is / or was owned by the N.Y. N.J. Port Authority. The roads are all "closed off" and were originally airport access and through streets for the area. I do know when we went there for the pre bid view a few years ago there was sill Av-gas tanks in the ground, empty I would guess. The period when we looked at the job there was plans to make it into a park, but the enviro costs were out of this world.It is filled with asbestos, lead, keytones, mercury and tons of other chemicals and compounds in the ground and buildings. That is most likely why it is still undeveloped. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

.It is filled with asbestos, lead, keytones, mercury and tons of other chemicals and compounds in the ground and buildings.

Nothing about 20ft of dirt on top wouldn't take care of. Right??

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"