B 42 Engine Swap

We have a doner truck. We will have to change the front engine mount. The Trans has its own mounts on the diesel that supports the rear of the engine. We are not getting in a hurry with this. It belongs to a friend of mine. We play with old John Deere tractors and this old truck. He also has a 36 IH tone and half truck that we have to mess with.

You can go to our web site www.latc.us then click on Photos then click on Bill Melders album and look near the bottom for a few more pictures. I will post more on that web site as we go along with it. I try to keep that site updated the best as I can.

Doug

this has been covered a few times on here and i know my grandfather has done this swap about.....well..... more than ten times easily. you pretty much need all the mounts and radiator from the diesel truck (ie. front trunion mount crossmember, trans mounts, 72 series trans unless you have a bell housing that will allow you to use the 67 series small box, radiator, throttle linkage, and other odds and ends)

Edited by flstf93

Brian

1959 B61T

We already got the front mount out. We are going to use the duplex from the other truck. We don't know at this time but we may mount a three speed brown lipe behind it so we can use the overdrive on it to get a little more speed. We have that also with everything to hook up the shift linkage.

you know your frame is not really made for all that weight,,,and its allotta work,,,have you concidered just buying another B with all the proper frame,and suspention,,,or getting a driveline out of a diesel pickup?you would have plenty of power,,without all that extra weight,,,and it would still sound good????good luck bob

40 series trucks are the same as 60 series trucks except for the obvious (engine and trans) except short nose ( 64-67) and concave cabs. all depends on how the truck was spec'd out. front crossmember is different as well as the floor board (depending on transmission) and trans mounts. axles are the same. it's the same truck just with a differant engine and possibly trans. suspension is the same.

Edited by flstf93

Brian

1959 B61T

My dad bought the B422T Thats in my profile pic from friends of the family it had a blown 438 Mack gas motor & dad took the gas motor out & put a 711 down in "old dog" left the 10spd duplex & 6:17 Ratio Rear end in it & old dog wont run but about 48 to 50 mph flatout but will pull a house down when he is running .

The Truck was 1 of our farm trucks (the only 1 that would pull 1,000 bushels of soybeans & wheat out of the bottoms loaded) the other trucks were gas bunner ford & Chevy's & a 74 GMC 9500 S/A W/238 Detroit & 5&2 tranny

old dog was also in our small excavating company so it did double duty & was our lowboy for many years & hauled our D5B Cat, 955L Cat & 225 Cat from job to job round the Memphis area .

Another friend of the family has old dog now & gonna get him running & hopfully restored & put under a lowboy to move his dozer around on the farm & from field to field or from the farm shop to the field .

I Know we are talking bout a B 42 But i know a B422T Is similar specs cause i remember when i was growing up & after my dad passed when i was 2 . My granddad & great uncle still had a few B42's that dad bought for parts still on the farm .

Good luck w/ your project & keep us posted .

:mack1: (my namesake is my profile pic ..lol )

• Like 2

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

We just pulled the trans out of the doner truck this afternoon. I think we are going to pull the cab off the B 42 and then pull the old gasser and trans. My friend said he is going to clean and paint the frame while everything is out. He wants to replace the air lines as well. He works on Macks everyday but they are the modern ones. We both love the old trucks and tractors. We are in a antique and tractor club. That is the web site where you can see our toys I am the web master for that site.

Doug

www.latc.us

a small baby quad would never have bolted up to a diesel and if it did the torque would blow it apart. as for the 422, they were the same driveline as a b42 but had a better overhead valve 438 engine. i think they used the same front engine mount as a diesel as the 707 540 and 464 were about the same as the 438. as for the smaller 77 series transmission ive . never seen it bolted up, dont think it would work and if it did it would never hold up. those little transmission had problems even behind the 4011's. the 72 series transmissions were basically bulletproof along with the 67 series in the B62's

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

We got all the mounts for the engine and trans out of the other truck. We have ran this engine but did not drive it. the rears was locked up so we had to pull the axel caps just to get it to roll. The old gasser was worn out bad. It left a cloud behind when you drove it. We traded for this little truck last fall. We live in central LA 50 miles south of Monroe. We hauled a John Deere 520 to NY and traded for the B 42. We left here Friday night and was back here Tuesday morning at five am. We had one night in a motel. That was a long trip.

I did this swap about 13 years ago with a 1963 B-43P. Found a doner, 1965 B-61SX. It was very easy as the frame was predrilled to accept both gas and diesel mounts. Stripped out a EN-402 and a TR-67 Duplex along with the mounts and bolted in a END-673 and a TRTL-720. It was also a single axle, single reduction rear and swapped in a double reduction third member from a R model for better highway speed (cruises at 1700 RPM at 70 MPH). I recently upgraded the engine to a ENDT-675(237 HP) after the 673 failed after all that time without issue. It was great to have the doner for all the bits and pieces you'll need to do the swap right. The B-42 I started with was a very low mileage local truck (69K mileage) and made all the difference.

The 20 speed may give you some issues as to allignment if it's single or double disc clutch and it will need a third support on the tail end due to weight.

i forgot something, eveerything is the same but the front springs! B42 single axles usuaully came with 8 leaf front springs unless it was a B42X. B61's usually had 11 or 12 leaf front springs for the added weight. you could swap springs fron a doner truck or take them to a spring shop and have them add a few leaves. some B models had massive 3'' spacers between the springs and axle to but this gets funky in a single axle. in a dump truck you dont notice but a single axle if you put the big blocks in you may end up[ chasing it all over the road like a Ford truck with twin i beam junk under it or a worn out steering box. you also need to change the clutch shaft to a diesel one as the keyway is in a different spot on the gas jobs. it will all bolt up but wont let you adjust the clutch after its together, trust me, i found this out the hard way haha.the other thing that we mentioned before is the diesel trucks had the front radiator crossmember shimmed out 1/4 . this allows you to change the belts easier, found this out the hard way to, AFTER everything was all together and the fenders were nice and shiny. Matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

40 series trucks are the same as 60 series trucks except for the obvious (engine and trans) except short nose ( 64-67) and concave cabs. all depends on how the truck was spec'd out. front crossmember is different as well as the floor board (depending on transmission) and trans mounts. axles are the same. it's the same truck just with a differant engine and possibly trans. suspension is the same.

very interesting,,,good luck,,doesnt look like enough room.bigger engine and radiater..bob

very interesting thread . im enjoying reading this this thread & learning more by the minute of what all dad may had done to make the 711 work in old dog.

i always wondered if he may had beefed up the springs on the steer axle wish he was around to ask him

later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude: