B 42 Engine Swap

I got a chance to go take a look at the frame after it was painted. It looks real good. Now he is going to start installing all new brake lines, valves and new brake cans. It will also have spring brakes. Go to www.latc.us go to photos page them Bill Melders album for new pictures.

Doug

Almost ready to put the engine back in the frame. All new fuel and oil lines. 12 volt starter. New oil and fuel filters. The cab may not get painted just yet. We are trying to get it back together so we can haul the antique tractors and pulling sled to our Fall Fest pull in October in Jena, La. If any of you want any info on the Fall Fest go to www.latc.us and look under upcoming events. There a lot of pictures on this site if you like old tractors. Go to the photo page. I am always looking for a photo of the week to use on the site. It can be almost anything as long as it is clean. My email address is on the home page where I ask for pictures for Photo of the week. If you want to send me one just put photo of the week on the subject line.

Doug

This weekend there was a lot of little things getting painted. All the tires on but one side on the back. Having to get a flat fixed. He is having to repair the fuel tanks. The bottoms was pretty bad. He has cut them out and that will be a good time to clean them out real good. That is no problem as old Bill is so good he can weld a tin can to a goats butt. Now that is good.

Doug

This weekend there was a lot of little things getting painted. All the tires on but one side on the back. Having to get a flat fixed. He is having to repair the fuel tanks. The bottoms was pretty bad. He has cut them out and that will be a good time to clean them out real good. That is no problem as old Bill is so good he can weld a tin can to a goats butt. Now that is good.

Doug

sound like your coming right along with that thing,,good luck.bob

The fuel tanks have been welded back together and brackets back on. New battery box built. We are going to try to blast them tomorrow. The air tanks has been painted remounted with new air lines. We just have a month to get it back together if we want to make our Fall Fest and tractor pull with it.

www.latc.us

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

The fuel tanks have been painted and the inside coated. We got them mounted on the frame this afternoon. We pulled it out of the shop and put it under another shed. There has been a change of plan. Bill is going to paint the cab while he has it off the frame. We have the doors and all the inside removed. We may not make it for the fall fest unless the body work and paint goes good. The cab is in good shape. I will update as it goes along.

Doug

When we pulled the seats and floor mat out it looked real good. It still had a lot of paint under it. The drivers side floor will need to brushed up a little. Not bad for a 1959 model truck. We got it in Upper NY state a year ago next month.

Doug

Still doing the body work on the cab. It looks like at one time someone let the dump bed down with something on the cab. You could see where it was fixed. The old bondo was cracked so it was all taken out and used a body hammer to get it better. The right door had a small place to be patched so he cut it out and replaced it.

Doug

Still body work going on on the cab and doors. We had an old thrishing machine donated to our antique and tractor club. We went today and pulled it out of a barn. This was the first time it was pulled out in over 75 years. People was rolling down the windows on the way home taking pictures and hollering what is it. I have posted a few pictures on our web site photo page if anyone would like to go have a look. www.latc.us

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Things has went slow on the old Mack for the last couple of weeks. As of yesterday the cab and doors has a new coat of primer on it. I don't know if a lot will get done in the next week or not. Our Antique and Tractor club is having our Fall Fest and tractor pull this weekend in Jena, LA. We will be moving the sled, scales, tractors and trucks in the next few days to the fair ground. For info on this event go to our web site www.latc.us You can also go to the Photo page and look at all the pictures. The old Mack pictures are in Bill Melders album.

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

Well the LATC Fall Fest is over. We had 80 hooks on the sled. 29 antique cars and trucks. We did not get a total count on the tractors there this year. We was running a little short handed and forgt to get the count. Overall it turned out good. I hope to have pictures posted on the web site in the next week or so. The paint job has been put on hold for the little B Model Mack as well as the rest of the truck. Bill is going to build a paint booth and wants to try it out on the little B. He cut trees last weekend by his shop getting ready to start with building the booth. I will give updates on it as progress is made.

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

I have not had anything new to post on the little B in a while. Bill Has the form built for the cement. He hopes to have the slab in the next couple of weeks. After that the paint room should start up. We are looking forward to get back to work on the little B.

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you. The cement has been poured for the paint booth. We hope to start working on the room before to long. We are looking forward to trying it out on the little B model. Bill has a real job so he don't have a lot of off time to work on it.

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

While I was out messing around yesterday I found a Tulsa winch with dual catheads on an old R Model going to the scrapper. We was able to talk them out of the winch. It was raining but we took the torch and cut it off while the geting was good. Now it looks like the B will get a winch.

Doug