B 42 Engine Swap

If anyone wants to see pictures of what has been done so far you can go to www.latc.us then click on Photos. Then click on Bill Melders album and there are new pictures near the bottom of the page. I will be posting a lot of pictures as we go so you can check back often.

Doug

I talked to Bill a little while ago. He has been working on the engine and trans mount. The B42X has a double frame and the other truck we got the engine from don't. He is having to make a few little adjustments on the trans mount. He is going to get it all mounted up and everything to fit then pull it all back out and paint the frame. He has already steam cleaned everything so it is not nasty. I will keep the post updated as it goes along.

Doug

id take both frame mounts to a machine shop and have them take 1/4 off the bolt surface . ive done this opposite and cut the inner frame section out of the double frame to put double frame hangers in a single frame truck. i cut it long enough so i got to bolt thru thr front rear spring hanger bracket holes and the front fuel tank holes on both side. probably not needed but made it a little firmer. also check the bolts. early b models didnt use the step up or collar bolts for the hangers and the newer ones did. easy way to tell is look at the bolt. the shank of the flat spot of the bolt will be noticeably higher than the threads. you can drill the holes and hangers out to fit the step up bolts but you dont wanna just put regular 5/8 bolts in the holes if they are drilled for the step up bolts. i think they started around 58 or 59 usin the step up collar bolts and big thick flat washers. eventually all the spring hanger and motor mount holes were drilled bigger and used these style bolts.

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Today he took the drive shaft that is going from the back of the trans to the brown lipe to the machine shop. When that is finished he can build the mounts for the brown lipe. Then he can have the rear shaft built. We found the front motor mount rubber is worn pretty bad. Who has those?

Doug

I went out and checked out the project today. He has the engine, Trans and brown lipe in place. He has the drive shaft in between the trans and brown lipe. The shifter for the brown lipe in in and works good. We pulled the front motor support off and the rubber in it is in bad shape. The front seal was leaking a little so that will also have to be replaced. I posted pictures today on our web site of the progress. If you want to go see them you can go to this link. http://www.latc.us and go to the Photos page and click on Bill Melders album.

Doug

nice. i see you have a 67 series transmission. that would make it a true B43 now. is that an 8000 series brownie box or a 6000 series? my B613 had a straight 5, 77 series with a 6200 series brownie 3 way. it was used for spreadin liquid asphalt so that way they would make it creep or go fast with overdrive. Keith from this site bought the brownie off me a few years ago for his R400.. have not hear much from him lately tho. what did he end up doin the the frame motor mounts? have 1/4 inche machined off? just wondering.. the number i have for the front engine mount donut out of the tidewater Mack catalog is 20QL242. this might be superceeded by a newer number but i know i bought two of them in the past two years ao they were still available.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that info. I will pass that number on. We was playing with the bronwnie and in low range I think it was two turns of the input shaft to one of the output shaft. It was put in to offset the speed loss going from gas to diesel. I don't know how much it will help.

Doug

I think it is a ten but not sure. It had the wrong shift tag in the doner truck. The rears was messed up so we could not drive it. I did not look at the tag on it to see what it said. I am sure it will have gear overlap. It will be fun anyway.

Well today he got the new front seal installed. He could not find the rubber for the motor mount. Mack said they did not have it anymore. He had a big thick belt that fit right in the mount. He had to take a block of wood to get the mount on the engine. It fit and looked good. He got the rubber mounts for the aux trans and got it all bolted up.

Doug

The engine has been pulled out. The mock up is finished. The rear drive shaft should be ready tomorrow. The next step is to clean and blast the frame getting it ready to paint. Then start putting it back together.

Doug

In the last couple of afternoons the only thing that has been done is building the mounting frames for the 5th wheel. We hope this weekend we are able to do more cleaning on the frame Then blast and paint if the weather is good.

Doug

Today we rolled it out and steam cleaned the frame, rearend and both trans. If the wearher is good tomorrow we hope to blast and paint. Does anyone know if the steering wheel from an R model will work? Or does anyone have a good one for sale. If not where can you get one? I posted a couple more pictures today. www.latc.us Go to the photo page and look at Bill Melders album.

Doug

Today we rolled it out and steam cleaned the frame, rearend and both trans. If the wearher is good tomorrow we hope to blast and paint. Does anyone know if the steering wheel from an R model will work? Or does anyone have a good one for sale. If not where can you get one? I posted a couple more pictures today. www.latc.us Go to the photo page and look at Bill Melders album.

Doug

watts B model store sells a redone wheel,with horn button,,thier not cheap but they have them...good luck bob