I'd seen this yesterday and thought it is a nice original but probably won't sell right away. It is high priced for a hobby truck, and much too old for a working unit consistently. To my eye, it doesn't appear to be a real high quality repaint and is starting to show it's age/wear. All factors to be considered before making a purchase of this magnitude.

I don't get the impression the owner, or former long term owner of this truck is offering the sale but rather it's being resold. Of course there just may be someone out there that just "has to have it" and will lay down the funds to make it theirs, of which I hope.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi !

I'm not a great evaluator but here it is !

why do you think this beast is too pricey ?

what is the cost of a motor ?

what is the cost of a tranny ?

what is the cost of diff. ?

what is the cost of suspension ?

what is the price of tires ?

what is the cost of repair on cab and anywhere else ?

so my guess is that if we would have to buy replacement parts and fix the truck it would oscilliated aroud what 18k

so all in all the price is maybe a bit high but the truck seems to be well maintained ,

what do you think ? maybe I'm in the ditch with this but just trying to figure out a bit moore on evaluation !

when we buy it is always too pricey and when we sell it is always too low , I'm not here to say that you guy's are not right

you have gazillions miles more experience and knowledge than me on this issue , this is only for the purpous of talking about it !

Makniac , collector and customizer of die-cast model in 1/50th scale

I am quite certain the truck to the right person is very much worth the money. For most however, a truck of that age is simply a "toy". An $18,000 dollar expenditure needs to be justified to most people that actually work for a living and this truck simply is too old to make a living with. You don't just go into the parts store and tell them you need a water pump, thermostat, or many other seemingly small parts for an NH-220 Cummins engine and expect to walk out with the part in hand. There will near always be several days between when you order the part until you actually have the replacement to install. The downtime would preclude the truck being used for anything other than very small business use, or backup to another unit. Chances are the engine, transmission, and rears are in good condition and needing no obvious repairs at the time of sale, but the truck is not new and things/parts do age without use also. Tires by themselves will cost in excess of $300.00 each for anything other than the cheapest quality available.

To build a somewhat rough truck into what this one is could very well cost in excess of the selling price discounting labor costs.

I think it is a nice truck and probably worth the selling price to a person that specifically wants a B-73 tractor. To the average "hobbiest", the price is probably a little elevated.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I agree with Rob. This appears to be an exceptionally clean and straight truck. The other thing I noticed was the power steering reservoir under the hood, power steering would sure make for a more driver friendly ride. the other nice thing about this truck is it looks like it can be driven and enjoyed just the way it is. If you can swing the initial $18K price, you're probably much better off than buying a $3,500 major project, it doesn't take long before you're looking at $18,000 figure in the rear view mirror!

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

There are always a lot of comments on here that things are priced too high. It is probably partially human nature. It is hard to put a price on a collector truck and the whole is very rarely worth the sum of its parts. I have seen trucks that have fresh $100,000 restorations sell for $80,000. Not a very good business model. I can buy a parts truck for less than scrap price and way less than I can buy each individual piece on it. A collector truck is worth what someone is willing to pay, not what someone asks. At an auction two years ago I saw a B61 that I thought was worth $3500 sell for $8500 and a B73 or B75 that the owner couldn't get $15000 for privately sell for $44,000. I don't know what that truck is worth, but let us know what it sells for. It is a really neat looking truck. I'd love one, but I am out of money and room.

Mike

Nice looking truck, shows the difference in prices australia/usa, if it was a bucket of junk itd sell for 18k here, in that nick, theyd probably ask anything from 30-60,000. And take into account that the "dollars" are pretty close now.

Reckon if i lived in the us id have quite a few trucks.

cheers ellis

The only return on investment you ever get in this hobby is pride of ownership. Even the .01% my bank gives me is a higher return than I have ever made on an old truck.

I'm sure someone out there was able to steal a perfect rig for $500.00 and sell it for $5000.00, but it has never happened to me, and I'm sure it never will.

To me it is no different than owning a boat, an airplane, or any other toy. It will cost me, but I'll get a lot of pleasure out of it while I own it. And I'll stay out of divorce court since I'm in the garage all day and staying out of the DW's world!

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!