A Rude Awakening

other dog

Had to take a load of lumber to Carter Lumber in Meadowlands, Pa. yesterday. I stopped at the truckstop at exit 1 at Mt. Morris, Pa. and got something to eat, then went up to exit 7 and pulled over on the on ramp and went to bed. Didn't stay at the truckstop, or in the rest area at the 6 mile marker because it's also a weigh station/DOT hangout and exit 7 put me north of that, and there's really no place else to stop between there and Meadowlands, at exit 40.

I was sound asleep minding my own business when all of a sudden the truck shook and woke me up...I bounced out of the sleeper,ricocheted off the dashboard,flew back against the rear sleeper wall, bounced back into the back of the seats, back into the rear wall, then landed back in the bed...couldn't even remember where I was at first. I got up and looked out the window and saw another truck in front of me, about 15 or 20 feet ahead of me. So I got dressed, got my flashlight,and got out to see what was going on. This other truck had pulled over in front of me, then for some reason decided he needed to back up. He stopped backing up when the back of his trailer contacted the front of my truck. It bent the chrome piece around the grill, bent the screen in the grill in, and it hit hard enough to crack the fiberglass inside the hood too. He was Canadian, from Pembroke, Ontario. He gave me his name,rank,serial number,and insurance information.

I took some pictures of the damage. If the insurance adjustor totals it i'm gonna tell Jeff he should get a used truck instead of another new one. A used one with another 550 Cat...

Saw a U-model on 501 today too- or is it a DM?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

looks like a Stecco demo trailer or a Dumpster, only the "EYE OF U" could tell. Paul.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Yea Jim, I was thinking the same. Just a good thing Tom didn't get injured. Did the guy even come back to OD truck to investigate the damage? Or did he just ack like nothing happened?

mike

Oh yeah, he was real nice about it. You could tell he was very upset with himself for backing into me. No problem getting his name, company, truck and trailer license numbers,insurance info,etc. But, since he was from Pembroke, Ontario and the damage was very minor, I doubt they'll even bother to pursue it further.

Tom, I would probably have to go home and start the grill going and cook some ribs, chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs, call the neighbors over and have a feast. Celebrate not being wiped out by another trucker. Oh by the way......i've got an invitation to go to my 40th High School Reunion the 28th of this month. I'm excited about it and also at the same time not sure if i'm going to enjoy seeing girls that are now fat and sassier and meaner. And the guys fat, bald, gray and wearing Hawaiian shirts that try to hide how big there big bellies are. Bragging about how prosperous they are and showing pictures of their Yacht's etc. etc. Funny, I don't get drunk.......but something tells me it is going to happen. LOL

mike

I wasn't even invited to my 10 year reunion. Nobody there I really wanted to see anyway....all of the people from high school that I wanted to maintain contact with, I did. Everybody else from my past could be 6' under and it wouldn't affect my life one way or the other.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

WTF kind of ugly red truck is that in the bottom pic? Whatever it was, it prolly deserved to get popped in the snout like that....improved the appearance, too. :blah:

It could be a U-model...but I think it's a DM.
  • Like 2

It could be a U-model...but I think it's a DM.

You know damn well I was talking about the POS Paccar truck in the top pic...you oughtta be banned for altering my post like that to make it look like I was talking bad about a fine looking, hard working :mack1: truck :angry:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Had to take a load of lumber to Carter Lumber in Meadowlands, Pa. yesterday. I stopped at the truckstop at exit 1 at Mt. Morris, Pa. and got something to eat, then went up to exit 7 and pulled over on the on ramp and went to bed. Didn't stay at the truckstop, or in the rest area at the 6 mile marker because it's also a weigh station/DOT hangout and exit 7 put me north of that, and there's really no place else to stop between there and Meadowlands, at exit 40.

I was sound asleep minding my own business when all of a sudden the truck shook and woke me up...I bounced out of the sleeper,ricocheted off the dashboard,flew back against the rear sleeper wall, bounced back into the back of the seats, back into the rear wall, then landed back in the bed...couldn't even remember where I was at first. I got up and looked out the window and saw another truck in front of me, about 15 or 20 feet ahead of me. So I got dressed, got my flashlight,and got out to see what was going on. This other truck had pulled over in front of me, then for some reason decided he needed to back up. He stopped backing up when the back of his trailer contacted the front of my truck. It bent the chrome piece around the grill, bent the screen in the grill in, and it hit hard enough to crack the fiberglass inside the hood too. He was Canadian, from Pembroke, Ontario. He gave me his name,rank,serial number,and insurance information.

I took some pictures of the damage. If the insurance adjustor totals it i'm gonna tell Jeff he should get a used truck instead of another new one. A used one with another 550 Cat...

Saw a U-model on 501 today too- or is it a DM?

That repair will prolly run through 22-25 Franklins to get right.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You know damn well I was talking about the POS Paccar truck in the top pic...you oughtta be commended for altering my post like that to make it look like I know what i'm talking about. You're a fine fellow, and a hard worker.

oh...thank you.

crack on the inside

I wouldn't doubt given the age of the truck, and the placement of the damage, it gets a new hood installed. Although that break looks superficial, it is in the main load bearing portion of the hood. The hinge area always takes the brunt of usage.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well,..I, uh...greatly exaggerated the getting thrown all about and bouncing off the walls part- it was just a little bump really.

I almost thought you were like the Ricochet Rabbit in old cartoons until this statement. Almost thought I was going to have to send flowers. Already called the florist to see what was appropriate for the occasion. But now will have to send them to Jo instead.

mike

Well,..I, uh...greatly exaggerated the getting thrown all about and bouncing off the walls part- it was just a little bump really.

At last...my first question has been answered. It was a Kenworthless.

• Like 1

At last...my first question has been answered. It was a Kenworthless.

yes!!! I'm coming clean...no more b.s. out of me- never again. Just gets you in trouble. Yes Mr. Rebel, it is indeed a Kentworth. Nuthin' like the last Kenworth I drove, the W900L with the N-14 525 Cummins, 13 spd, 3.70 rears-now that was a truck!

Unlike the p.o.s. I drive now, with the school bus motor, 10 spd, and 3.36 rears.

This is the "new" other dog. My motto-"no more b.s, ever!"

I almost thought you were like the Ricochet Rabbit in old cartoons until this statement. Almost thought I was going to have to send flowers. Already called the florist to see what was appropriate for the occasion. But now will have to send them to Jo instead.

mike

You should still send them to me, for having to put up with her...oh, that's what she said about me too...never mind.