Hayward F-Model pics

Does anyone have any good pix of Hayward F-Models?? Back when my father was an O/O leased onto Charles E. Danbury Inc. (trailer broker) he pulled mostly brand-new trailers out of the Trailmobile factory in Lansdale, Pa. (near Philly.) He had a Hayward F-Model with a 300, 5 speed and a single Rockwell drive axle. I did many miles in the right-hand seat of that truck in the summer time and on weekends. Then later on, he leased on with Harry J. Muschlegel onto Southwest Freight Lines. That single screw/5-speed tractor was great for empty trailers but eventually got too small for freight work, so Dad bought an Allentown F-Model with a 300+, an up-and-over 10-speed and twin screws. He worked very hard wade through the paperwork to obtain his own ICC operating authorities back when they de-regulated all that crap in the early 1980's. Thats when Harry Muschlegel asked him to come into the office "for a few weeks" to help him obtain operating authorities for the company he was forming- a little old outfit called JEVIC TRANSPORTATION. Dad's "few weeks" in the office turned into 20+ years driving a desk. Jevic finally went public with the stock, and that was the beginning of the end- Dad retired about 3 years before Yellow sold them out and they went tits-up. But enough with memory lane- Hayward F-Model pics anyone?????

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I found a picture of a hayward F on a truck photographers' site,interesting thing to me about this one is the bumper,looks like the same bumper i've seen on the factory V-12 yamaha equipped R-models ,i know Brockway installed V-12's in C.O.E's but have never seen nor heard of an F-model coming from the factory with an iron lung in it,anyone know if and how many there were?...................................Mark

post-5836-0-21538800-1340464759_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Mark, it was not uncommon at all for Hayward F-Models to come out of the factory with big iron under the hood- hence the cut-outs in the bumpers to accomodate the bigger grills/radiators. Same idea as the early Freightliners- big horses to get over the mountains. A bunch of meatheads even put big 2-strokes in them. Me, personally I would rather have had a big Cummapart than mix oil with my gas, but thats me.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Mark, it was not uncommon at all for Hayward F-Models to come out of the factory with big iron under the hood- hence the cut-outs in the bumpers to accomodate the bigger grills/radiators. Same idea as the early Freightliners- big horses to get over the mountains. A bunch of meatheads even put big 2-strokes in them. Me, personally I would rather have had a big Cummapart than mix oil with my gas, but thats me.

I'm right there with you! kinda like puttin' a small-block ford in a Corvette,just does'nt make any sense!..........as i said,i do know they put mechanical assholes in Brockways,Penn-Yan express had several of them pulling "Turnpike Doubles" on the New York Thruway,even a few daycabs with V-12's,the exaust was about 5 feet behind the cab! wierd looking to say the least!..............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I'm right there with you! kinda like puttin' a small-block ford in a Corvette,just does'nt make any sense!..........as i said,i do know they put mechanical assholes in Brockways,Penn-Yan express had several of them pulling "Turnpike Doubles" on the New York Thruway,even a few daycabs with V-12's,the exaust was about 5 feet behind the cab! wierd looking to say the least!..............................Mark

PennYan didn't have V12 Detroits, they had 903 Cummins in their Brockways and their Fords.

Inland Express had V12's in their Freightliner COE's

stayed up myself last night watchin Moonfire on youtube. the younger guy seemed aweful tough on that old quad box. the blonde guy(Charles napier) was an actor in a lot of 80's movies and stared in the Dukes of Hazzard and the A Team often.

I don't remember the name of the movie,but Charles Napier was driving a "new at the time" Freightliner conv. pulling a van loaded with vodka,he got into a CB pissing match with an old timer driving a crusty White Freightler COE pulling a flatbed with sides,loaded with oranges.They finally got the trucks tangled up trying to pass one another,you can guess what the final result was.

I don't remember the name of the movie,but Charles Napier was driving a "new at the time" Freightliner conv. pulling a van loaded with vodka,he got into a CB pissing match with an old timer driving a crusty White Freightler COE pulling a flatbed with sides,loaded with oranges.They finally got the trucks tangled up trying to pass one another,you can guess what the final result was.

Did the wreck make phillips or flathead screwdrivers?

• Like 1