14 speed q box?

I think a drove a 14 speed quad box on a gas engine dump one night many years ago. Ran it from one end of a yard to another dumping snow, so I never went through all the gears. From what I recall vaguely and from what I remember others saying, I believe that the 14-speed quad box was geared down slightly from the standard 13 speed quad box. The 13 speed quad has two overdrive gears (4th hi and 5th hi, with direct in 4th direct). As I recall, the 14 speed was geared so 4th hi was direct and there was only the one overdrive gear (5th hi). So it didn't shift any different than a standard quad box -- the 14th speed was the lo-lo hole in first, but the standard quad box had that too. They called it a 14-speed just to distinguish it from the standard double-overdrive 13 speed quad boxes. The 14 speed tended to be put into trucks like dumps or mixers where you often did use the lo-lo, so you'd use 14 gears (lo-lo plus the standard 13).

I'm thinking it was a TRQ 770 or maybe a TRQ 72, but my memory, like my eyes, is getting fuzzy. At least that's how I remember it.

Just had my B61 with the quad box out this morning. Beautiful day for a drive.

• Like 1

I think a drove a 14 speed quad box on a gas engine dump one night many years ago. Ran it from one end of a yard to another dumping snow, so I never went through all the gears. From what I recall vaguely and from what I remember others saying, I believe that the 14-speed quad box was geared down slightly from the standard 13 speed quad box. The 13 speed quad has two overdrive gears (4th hi and 5th hi, with direct in 4th direct). As I recall, the 14 speed was geared so 4th hi was direct and there was only the one overdrive gear (5th hi). So it didn't shift any different than a standard quad box -- the 14th speed was the lo-lo hole in first, but the standard quad box had that too. They called it a 14-speed just to distinguish it from the standard double-overdrive 13 speed quad boxes. The 14 speed tended to be put into trucks like dumps or mixers where you often did use the lo-lo, so you'd use 14 gears (lo-lo plus the standard 13).

I'm thinking it was a TRQ 770 or maybe a TRQ 72, but my memory, like my eyes, is getting fuzzy. At least that's how I remember it.

Just had my B61 with the quad box out this morning. Beautiful day for a drive.

Thanks for the post, I learn things every time I read on here.

That diagram could be of the deep reduction tri-plex (18.+) low gear.Tri-plex's usually have a low gear of 8.+ or - I think it was avaible in B-57'S definitely not a standard tri-plex trans. ratioes. Mack put a lot of money into research and development in their hayday.In my opinion a small group of people with influence and money are the ruination of trucking and other industries in this country. Joe D.

the one we have s a TRQ770 i believe is an 18 speed the other is a TRQ7720 or something which is a 14 speed. these are both the small quads like found in the B42. i never knew they made many 67 series transmisions besies the 9 and 10 speeds actually. i have a B57 or B52 single axle that i think someone shortened with that shifting plate i believe and it was a 5 and 3 but was considered a 10 speed.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg