63 Chevy

Brian Blaylock

What is a "Viking"? My father had a '63 C80 single axle tractor. It was a 409 with a five speed. I still have the original bill of sale.

The "Viking" series was the medium duty line. The "Apache" was the lighter duty line. Lots of chrome and trim on those for what they were.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

There are still a lot of Apache and Viking Chevy grain trucks running around here every fall - I never get too close on the highway, I have crawled under enough of them to know that 90 percent still have the original brake lines.

• 2 weeks later...

There are still a lot of Apache and Viking Chevy grain trucks running around here every fall - I never get too close on the highway, I have crawled under enough of them to know that 90 percent still have the original brake lines.

They really have juice brakes on those trucks. Would've thought they would've had air brakes... Hm

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

They really have juice brakes on those trucks. Would've thought they would've had air brakes... Hm

Tom

They were all (at least around here) a very light spec'd truck and were bought because they had dealers for them, and were affordable for a poor farmer. Six cylinder engine, single axle, hydraulic brakes, 4 speed transmission with only if "fancy" a two speed rear end. 7.50-20 or 8.25-20 tires on snap ring riveted wheels. Standard bed is a 13 1/2 feet long grain bed. A lot of them only had a 19,000 GVWR as well.

A lot of the ones still running around have been upgraded to a 350 V-8 with 9.00-20 tires and newer wheels and only get used to haul fescue seed in the summer, or seed beans/chemicals during planting.

My neighbor has one that another neighbor bought new and it is his winter wood hauler.

Nothing to compare to a Mack!